Oscraps

What is your scrap/work ethic?

faerywings

The Loopy-O
CHEERY O
Do you even have one? :D

My air-quotes work ethic has been to get all of the hard work stuff out of the way before I kick back and relax. I have been that way since I was a little girl. My parents grew up in large Italian immigrant households, post-Depression, and that had been drilled into their heads and then it was drilled into mine. "You don't deserve to relax until all of the hard work is done" - paraphrased family motto
Up until a few years ago, that is how I thought about work and housework as a stay-at-home mom too. Now that my kids are adults ( they live at home but are adults as much as they *hate* to admit it) and even more since the pandemic started I find that the focus of my work ethic has slipped while at the same time, the mentality of it is still in place. That means that I will spend all day trying to do things that are work/home related before sitting down to "relax" or whatever that means at this point in time.

Unfortunately to my mind, scrapping is a leisure activity which means it gets bumped to the end of the day. This is usually right before I start cooking dinner so if I a lucky, I might have a half-hour to work on a page. I can't do anything for a page in less than an hour. So it gets bumped to the next day. After my "work" is done. Lather, rinse, repeat *eye roll* My last page took me FIVE days to finish.

I wish there was a way to get my brain to accept doing the fun things first and dealing with the work stuff later but I guess after 50 and stopped counting years of life, it isn't going to happen, at least not easily.

That got me thinking about how the rest of you scrap. Are you able to throw everything to the wind and spend as much time scrapping and if there are dishes in the sink or coupons to be clipped, so be it? Is it something that you do after the family is in bed and the house is quiet? Or are you more like me, you can scrap whenever the rest of your tasks are done?

felis

I work from home so I'm able to follow the wind! Usually scrap early at morning or late at night when it's quiet at my house. Unfortunately have lots of superstitious that blocks me, I can't scrap if I'm have bad day, if I'm hear bad news or when have even the little chance some kind of low vibration to be caught up and 'printed' on the page.

But nothing to do with the work! ;):p

faerywings

The Loopy-O
CHEERY O
I work from home so I'm able to follow the wind! Usually scrap early at morning or late at night when it's quiet at my house. Unfortunately have lots of superstitious that blocks me, I can't scrap if I'm have bad day, if I'm hear bad news or when have even the little chance some kind of low vibration to be caught up and 'printed' on the page.

But nothing to do with the work! ;):p
That happens to me too, if I feel like I am not in the right mental state, but more because my brain cannot process anything

VickiStegall

Administrator
Designer
CHEERY O
Yeah, I'm like you, I don't let myself relax until the work is done. And, for me, I pick up the laptop and it's still work lol But, I do get creative fulfillment from designing so that's good. But, I don't let myself do that before I do customer service or stuff or I'll get lost in the designing and not get the other stuff done.

tanteva

all i need is Oscraps, cOffee, chOcOlate & tOfu
Well, @VickiStegall - you're cheating, aren't you? Digiscrap IS your job. LOL

I guess, for you, it's a whole other problem - to find the joy in the scrapping, and not just see it as a chore.

Cherylndesigns

I'm in The Zone ~ The "O" Zone
CHEERY O
Scrap first, chores later. Some days, that doesn't work, but I love to scrap - if I don't get to I get grumpy. I'm lucky because it's just the two of us and my husband has always supported my scrapbooking passion.

scrapinmom

CHEERY O
Scrapping is what I do whenever time permits, as I watch my grandson during the day. but when I don't watch him, I am on the sites and scrapping as much as I can. My husband plays video games and we support each other's habits!

timounette

CHEERY O
So I scrap in the evening when the house is quiet to relax. But I admit that I don't mind leaving dishes in the sink. And I clean the kitchen before I go to bed after scrapping.
On the other hand, since the 1st confinement, as I do a lot of home work, I sometimes don't feel like turning on my personal computer in the evening, because I just need some peace and quiet and eventually watch a series or go to bed early.

melscrap

CHEERY O
I mostly scrap at night after the daily grid is done. But occcasionally I'll throw caution to the wind and scrap first, chores later.

LSlycord

Good thread that I missed! I am like so many of you in that I need to get my work done first. I'm trying to change that behavior a bit. As a matter of fact, I'm going to change it right now...and do a page this morning before I even figure out what my work is for the day!

Susan - s3js

CHEERY O
As I approach retirement - that's is if I ever get to! - I think more about the order of my life. Getting my albums and genealogy done has a new urgency. I have adult kids that live at home, too, at least for a bit longer, so they can do the chores and Mama will play! Alas, it doesn't always work out that way, but sometimes!

bcgal00

CHEERY O
I get CT work done, sometimes a challenge if I just can't wait to do it and the housework can wait. Other days I feel I'm too behind in chores so I get some things done first before any scrapping. I find that with the passing of the years, I care less about the chores and am not as fastidious about cleaning. The same goes for cooking, I don't spend as much time cooking as I used to.