Oscraps

What are you reading in 2019?

faerywings

The Loopy-O
CHEERY O
I used to follow all of the book recommendations in the past threads about this. I also used to be on GoodReads.com a lot too. Technically, I am still on there, I just don't keep anything up to date anymore.
But I am always searching for new books and authors so let's discuss what your favorite books are and what you are reading now and then next.

I hadn't been reading much this past year, not anywhere as much as I used too. Over the summer I started re-reading the Harry Potter series (again!) and am halfway through Book 5. For Christmas I got the Michelle Obama autobiography, "Becoming" and I love her so I love the book. (I just got the point where she meets Barack-- not a love at first sight story :D) If she is even half as sweet as she is in the book in IRL, she must be such a great person to be around. I admire her so much.

When I am done with this, I am not sure what I want to pick up next.
So-- tell me, what are you reading?

Jeannette

CHEERY O
I've started with A thousand splendid suns by Khaled Hosseini.
I love to read, and I loved the Harry Potter books. Must have read them 6 or 7 times :).
Time always is an issue, there are so many books in my bookcase I still have to read, and then all those new books that come out.
Michelle Obama's autobiography is on my list. I definately want to read that, but first I will read Down to the woods by M.J. Arlidge. It's the 10th novel he wrote about Helen Grace and I've been looking forward to it for a long time now.

Traumelfe

I love the Harry Potter series too. I read them a long time ago.

I got the book "David Bowie A Life" by Dylan Jones for Christmas. I think that's the next book I'll read.:D

marijke

I love the O!
CHEERY O
I will start with 'My brilliant Friend'
the serie was on the Belgian TV and it is oh so beautiful ...

9200000002146012.jpg

BrightEyes

Kay
CHEERY O
i am in the midst of re-reading "Full Disclosure" by Dee Henderson. I will be going back to re-read the whole O'Malley series plus her military and detective series. I have the whole collection except for the last 2 books. Will see about getting the missing ones sometime in the near future. "The Final Shadow" by Kay Hooper is out now so hope to pick it up this week.

I am a voracious reader and like a variety of genres from mystery, romance, detective, fantasy, science fiction and suspense. I don't watch much TV - but spent time reading instead. I am always looking for new authors.

faerywings

The Loopy-O
CHEERY O
I am poking around GoodReads, Kay.

Kay Hooper has a bunch of different series, is there one that you would recommend to start with first?

BrightEyes

Kay
CHEERY O
I am poking around GoodReads, Kay.

Kay Hooper has a bunch of different series, is there one that you would recommend to start with first?

To really get to know the characters, I would start with the first book in the "Bishop" - Special Crimes Unit series...Stealing Shadows. She usually writes in a group of three books with connecting titles. Stealing Shadows, Hiding in the Shadows, Out of the Shadows... for example. These are about FBI agents with PSI abilities. She also has a lot of romance books - most written before she started the Bishop series. I like them and have many of them in my collection.

If I find an author I like, I will go their website and print off their book list. I like to read most books in the order they were written. I can use the list to keep track of which books I have and/or which books I have read.

Danesa

Danesa
I am a spy novel junkie! haha I'm just starting to read Red War, by Kyle Mills (Vince Flynn) It's the latest in the Mitch Rapp series. I was heartbroken when Vince Flynn died, in 2013, but so glad that Kyle Mills continued the series.

Another book, I get to start reading, which comes out in two days, from one of my favorite authors, is The First Conspiracy: The Secret Plot to Kill George Washington, by Brad Meltzer.

And, for fun...my girls loaned me their Harry Potter Series (I gave them haha) so I will start reading those at night, so I don't scare myself with my spy books. haha Of course, I may get scaredy cat with Harry too. haha I know I'm probably the ONLY living person who has not read a Harry Potter book yet. Getting ready to remedy that. :)

faerywings

The Loopy-O
CHEERY O
To really get to know the characters, I would start with the first book in the "Bishop" - Special Crimes Unit series...Stealing Shadows. She usually writes in a group of three books with connecting titles. Stealing Shadows, Hiding in the Shadows, Out of the Shadows... for example. These are about FBI agents with PSI abilities. She also has a lot of romance books - most written before she started the Bishop series. I like them and have many of them in my collection.
If I find an author I like, I will go their website and print off their book list. I like to read most books in the order they were written. I can use the list to keep track of which books I have and/or which books I have read.

I *have* to read the books in order, even if it isn't necessary. i tend to be pretty finicky about that. Just a tiny bit. ha!! I feel like have read something of hers before, I just can't remember what. Next time I am at the library I am going to look her up. Thanks!

faerywings

The Loopy-O
CHEERY O
And, for fun...my girls loaned me their Harry Potter Series (I gave them haha) so I will start reading those at night, so I don't scare myself with my spy books. haha Of course, I may get scaredy cat with Harry too. haha I know I'm probably the ONLY living person who has not read a Harry Potter book yet. Getting ready to remedy that. :)
OMG! You are going to LOOOOOOOVE them. They need to be read more than once. You will pick up things from Book One that reappear in Book 6 or the groundwork for something is set in 2 and then isn't seen again until later on. She is brilliant!

Fun family story: I got the last HP Book on preorder- the day it came was a Saturday and I had plans to take the kids to the lake to swim. We got there, I sat down with the book and told them "Don't drown." :laugh:
I read that book in 2 days!

Jeannette

CHEERY O
I love to read paper books, but sometimes an e-reader is easier. In trains, waitingrooms, vacation etc. I use my e-reader. I love it, but holding a paper book I love even more.

VickiStegall

Administrator
Designer
CHEERY O
I tend toward romance of any kind - historical, paranormal, trashy, whatever. I like to read to escape my responsibilities and relax and anything too serious just doesn't do it for me :)

VickiStegall

Administrator
Designer
CHEERY O
Oh, and I am kindle all the way. I use the overdrive app from the library to send books to my kindle and I listen to text to speech in the car.

taxed4ever

Administrator Crazy about the "O"
CHEERY O
I use both my Kobo tablet and paper books, however I have not been reading too much lately. Last book was "The Glass Castle" by Jeannette Walls, I would highly recommend it!
auZXJuwLw8QC

bcgal00

CHEERY O
I read a lot of different styles....paranormal, dystopian, contemporary romance, mysteries, family sagas, psychological thrillers. So far this year I have read The Noel Stranger by Richard Evans, House Rules by Jodi Picoult, finished The Passage by Justin Cronin (started in Dec) and now have started The Perfect Nanny by Leila Slimani.

Next on my reading schedule is the next Justin Cronin book The Twelve.

margje

The O is awesOme
At the moment I read a lot of Photo books! Especially portrait and child photography has my interest!

scribler

The O is my hOme.
CHEERY O
I am Kindle or Audible all the way. Recent favs that I’ve read are David Rosenfelt, Rescued and Deck the Hounds (if you like dogs and mysteries, the Andy Carpenter series he writes is for you), Joanne Fluke, Christmas Cake Murder and Everything Trump Touches Dies by Rick Wilson. He narrates the Audible version and it is great.

veer

I love the "O"
CHEERY O
I have borrowed a book in the library about how you try not to eat away your feelings. Since my mother died, I have been snooping a lot. I no longer dare to stand on the scale, but in a few months time I have gained a lot. And despite the fact that I do not know better, the urge is so great!

That's why I hope the book will help me with that.

faerywings

The Loopy-O
CHEERY O
Everything Trump Touches Dies by Rick Wilson. He narrates the Audible version and it is great.
I would probably need to listen to that in private. I am sure that I would be snorting in a very "unladylike" fashion if I were listening to him. :tsk:

Kythe

CHEERY O
I’m a mystery fan all the way. Currently reading Jeffery Deaver’s Lincoln Rhyme series latest The Burial Hour. I do like David Baldacci as well.
Not a Harry Potter fan. Watched the movies only because hubby wanted to watch them. I have a bunch of mysteries upstairs on my shelf waiting to be read but I’m too lazy to go up to see what the titles are or who authors are. Lol
I have to have a book in hand. I spend too much time lookng a sceen as it is.

wombat146

ONA - Administrator
CHEERY O
Well thanks to Chris and Vicki talking about the new TV series The Passage I was intrigued enough to actually join my (new) local library this weekend and have put the first book, The Passage, on hold. Hoping to pick it up when I am in town next!

It's funny, when I was living with son for 6 months (before I came down to be with hubby in Tassie) I was reading like a lunatic! LOL! I read 35 books during that time! My son had a lot of my older fantasy type books like Dragons and Dungeons, Lord of the Rings, etc etc which I gave him years ago so I virtually re-read everything I had given him and enjoyed them immensely!

Then I started on the books by Liane Moriarty, beginning with Big Little Lies. They are so very easy to read and I ended up reading them all except for one........... I left all the ones I had read with my son's girlfriend and took the one that I hadn't finished reading with me.......... it's still sitting in the spare room and I haven't opened it again! LOL! At the moment I have no urge to read but I am hoping that when I get the book from the library it will awaken my reading passion again!

faerywings

The Loopy-O
CHEERY O
I am really amazed at myself- never have I read so slowly. Only 2 books finished in two months. I loved the Michelle Obama bio. I just adore her and she is so "real."
I then read Lie to Me- which is in the same vein as Gone Girl.
I am halfway through Brotherhood of the Blade--a Lord John Grey novel by Diana Gabaldon.

I am so lame!

taxed4ever

Administrator Crazy about the "O"
CHEERY O
I am reading books by a local writer here on Vancouver Island. Her pen name is Chevy Stevens and she writes thriller type novels! On my second novel by her now and loving them so far!