Oscraps

To use Grammarly - good or danger idea?!

felis

So I see Grammarly's ads all over the YouTube,
and everybody who knows me better is hear me numerous times to complain how I'm struggling with mastering of languages, and I sincerely sorry that I make my friends here to suffer with my weak level of writing skills on English.
So when I saw Grammarly it's looks like a new way to go closer to the level I have in my own language.

For these who aren't familiar: Grammarly is free writing app (or you can upgrade it) to make their messages, documents, and posts clear, mistake-free, and effective. It's an online grammar checking, spell checking, and plagiarism detection platform.

Sounds wonderful, BUT friend of mine warning me that after install it this app actually collect everything that you write on your computer, including user name and passwords. Is she right or she is a little bit paranoid?!
Do someone use it and what are your feedbacks?

VickiStegall

Administrator
Designer
CHEERY O
oh wow! I honestly don't have any experience with it so don't know.

For what it's worth, I read your English just fine.

bcgal00

CHEERY O
Whether you use it or not, I understand you just fine. But if you are interested in it, maybe google reviews on it and see what the majority say about it.

faerywings

The Loopy-O
CHEERY O
I use the free version Grammarly. I remember seeing the concern about it tracking your posts and writings a while ago. I did some research and while I couldn't tell you exactly what I found, I am still using it so it can't be that bad.
I understand your English fine as well :)

taxed4ever

Administrator Crazy about the "O"
CHEERY O
I agree with what Rae said and check to see what the reviews are about it. Felis your English is very readable and we all seem to understand you just fine! But if it will help you feel more confident with the translation, then I say go for it!

timounette

CHEERY O
You are readable Felis.
I have discover DeepL traductor. It's free and great.
I used it for my job to translate technical vocabulary.

zanthia

CHEERY O
never heard of it but agree you should check into it as that sounds like a huge invasion of privacy.

your english is fine- understood u perfectly here.

felis

Thank you girls for your advices, and the compliments about my English, but I know that you just try to be kind. :wink:

I definitely have to do some research (at the weekend when have more free time), but I'm not sure to who can trust. I saw long review at one blog, but I know that bloggers takes money to advertise products, so even there are few left comments probably they are moderated too.

felis

I use the free version Grammarly. I remember seeing the concern about it tracking your posts and writings a while ago. I did some research and while I couldn't tell you exactly what I found, I am still using it so it can't be that bad. :)

Oh,Chris, thanks for sharing your experience. Actually this sounds encouragingly, but I'm not the only one who use this computer, and my family needs to be convinced :roll: . They slows my progress.

faerywings

The Loopy-O
CHEERY O
I wish I could remember what I researched and what I found about Grammarly to share with you to help you convince your family. If I come across anything, I will let you know.

Scrapmemories

Lorraine
Unsure if that is true however we are in an age where so much data gathering on us is a very lucrative field. If a concern, be care on what access you give the apps on your cellphone. I don't think you are paranoid.

melscrap

CHEERY O
We use it at work to proofread documents and emails. We wouldn't use it if it wasn't safe.