Oscraps

Silhouette vs. Cricut

Danesa

Danesa
I'm looking to get a cutting machine. I want precision cutting (not just sticker cuts) for digital elements as well as some of my sketches & paintings. I love making cards and folios for friends. I have a Big Shot, which I use alot, but I'd like to be able to use elements, from kits, as well.
Do you have opinions on which one is best? And, which version of it? I'd like to keep it to $400 or below, if possible.

I have no idea which one to invest in. Please help. :)

Cherylndesigns

I'm in The Zone ~ The "O" Zone
CHEERY O
I've never had either one. I've entertained getting one many times, but just wasn't sure I'd really use it enough to justify the price.

marijke

I love the O!
CHEERY O
I don't have a cutting machine ... a friend of me has a silhouette and she makes beautiful things ... she can also engrave on glass with it ... but that turns out not to be easy ... on the second photo she make a vinyl sticker on the suitcase

lisa.jpglisa2.jpg

taxed4ever

Administrator Crazy about the "O"
CHEERY O
I have the Silhouette Cameo 4 and just love, love, love it!! The software for the machine is pretty user friendly especially if you have worked with photoshop before. It is capable of doing a few more things than the Cricut and the cost of using the Silhouette Studio is more affordable than the Cricut Design Studio. You will find that neither one of these cutting machines cuts quite like a die cut, there is not that look of depth to it, but wow so much less expensive than buying all of those dies!! There is a learning curve, but watch lots of videos on You Tube and you will be cutting like a pro before you know it!

Danesa

Danesa
I have the Silhouette Cameo 4 and just love, love, love it!! The software for the machine is pretty user friendly especially if you have worked with photoshop before. It is capable of doing a few more things than the Cricut and the cost of using the Silhouette Studio is more affordable than the Cricut Design Studio. You will find that neither one of these cutting machines cuts quite like a die cut, there is not that look of depth to it, but wow so much less expensive than buying all of those dies!! There is a learning curve, but watch lots of videos on You Tube and you will be cutting like a pro before you know it!
Thank you, Trudy! I’ve been watching videos and was leaning toward the Cameo 4. This helps a lot. User friendly is a big plus. Plus, now I know who to bug when I need help. Haha. I appreciate the feedback.

Danesa

Danesa
I have the Silhouette Portrait — same as the Cameo, but smaller as it can only do letter size paper, not 12x12. It works really well and I’ve even cut my own stencils. I have an old tutorial on my website showing how to cut kit elements — have a look so you can get an idea of what’s involved:

Thank you, Vicki. I had forgotten all about your tutorial. I will watch it this weekend. Thank you!!!

AFTdesigns

Designer
Designer
I have an older Silhouette. Never used a circuit so I can’t give a comparison , but I think when I upgrade I’ll stick with silhouette.