Oscraps

September Challenge #6 - Heritage

wombat146

ONA - Administrator
CHEERY O
1630473125721.png
All members that participate, can everyone PLEASE ensure that you read all the rules for this challenge so that you can claim your challenge points. Thank you! :)

Hi everyone and welcome to September's Heritage Challenge.

This challenge is all about getting our older photos scrapped, telling the story so that future generations can read it and understand what the photo was about. I have a box of old photos that belonged to my mother with nothing written on the back of them so I have no idea who the people are or what the story behind the photo is all about. I am guilty of this as well, my pre-digital photos are also stored in a box but at least I have written some dates on the back of them and identified the people. I have also scanned a few as well so I am slowly getting there.

Your challenge this month is to search for some old photos that need the story behind them written down for those people that may like to read about it in the future.

My layout is of a photo taken of me and my best friend Judy when we were in our teens. The quality of the photo is not very good but whenever I look at it I remember the times that Judy and I shared growing up, especially now that she is no longer with me, having passed away suddenly in 2017. On this particular day we were just 'hanging out' in the flat that I shared with my older sister, watching TV and eating snack foods. Her lovely little French poodle dog kept us entertained as well, he was such a character. :)

12X12-AJ---WRITING-MY-OWN-STORY.jpg
Credits are in the gallery

Tips for using old photos:
- Scan your old photos at 300dpi (dots per inch) where possible (it may not make a blurry picture perfect but at least it will print out a bit better)
- Low resolution photos (under 240dpi) will not print properly so you may need to increase the resolution of the photo itself. Try increasing the resolution in Photoshop (or Elements) to at least 240dpi and reducing the actual size of the photo when doing this.
- Keep low resolution photos on the small size when scrapping them, enlarging them to fill half the page will only magnify the fuzziness of them.
- If all else fails think of different ways to use your photos; trying blending them (like I have done above), using a filter of some sort or changing the colour of it.

So off you go find some old photos to play with! I am really looking forward to seeing what you creative gals come up with! :) Also, please share if you have developed a process of increasing resolution or scrapping low resolution photos.

RULES:
- Use an old photo (older than 5 years) and tell the background story of it - please add the photo date either in your journaling or as text by itself.
- Please use 80% Oscraps products that are currently in the store.
- Non-Oscraps products or retired O designer products can be used whether the designer is selling elsewhere or not.
- You need to credit all the products used on your layout.
- Your page must be posted in the Challenge 6 gallery by midnight PST September 30 2021 and linked back to this thread (see below on how to add your linked layout).
- And do not forget to update the CURRENT MONTH'S TRACKING THREAD to be eligible for your coupon.

Adding a linked layout from the Gallery to a thread:
1. Upload your layout to the gallery first. In your forum post click the Gallery Embed icon (little camera).
2. This will open your gallery, simply click on the layout you require, then scroll down to the bottom of the screen and click the Continue button.
3. Your linked layout is now in your post, the image will appear once you have clicked the Post Reply button.

Last edited:

BrightEyes

Kay
CHEERY O
The Covid 19 epidemic we are going through now has brought back the memory of my grandmother telling about when my grandfather died in the Spanish Flu epidemic back in 1918. My grandmother was pregnant with my mother at the time. She was a widow with 2 other young children under 3 whom she had to send on a train alone under the care of the conductor to her husband's parents until she could earn enough money to pay for her own train ticket months later. Her tales of the hardship during that epidemic makes me glad we are living in a more time during this epidemic. We only have this one photo of my mother's father. He was in his early 30's when he died.

nobles

Ursula
Thank you for the challenge, Ona. The chairlift photos are the first ones taken with my first digicam.

zlemon

Christy
Photo of my neighborhood's candy/pastry store. Several generations feed their sweet tooth there. Great challenge, thanks for hosting, Ona!

wombat146

ONA - Administrator
CHEERY O
wowsers!! What FANTASTIC layouts ladies!!! they are all so stunning!!! Off to the gallery I go to leave some well deserved love on them all!!!! :)

Pia/Pippin

Great challenge! I think that youth these days take too much for granted. They have no idea how people lived just 60 years ago. It's necessary to tell them that people some time ago didn't have all that luxury that everyone has today.

A-winter's-tale.jpg

wombat146

ONA - Administrator
CHEERY O
Well September has come to a close so I would like to thank everyone who joined me this month. Please remember to update your tracking thread for September! :)