Oscraps

Scrapping without Photos

Vicki Robinson

Designer + Brush Queen + Mac Guru
Designer
My May Challenge, about scrapping about yourself, raised a couple of interesting questions — one of which I had already anticipated. Some of us don't have family photos to scrap and some of us prefer not to use personal photos at all. So the question is, can you create a meaningful scrapbook page without photos?

In my mind, the answer to that question is a resounding "absolutely"! I've written a blog post with 10 Creative Ways To Scrapbook Your Story Without Photos. After you've had a chance to read that, let me know what you think about those ideas, and feel free to add your own. Hopefully, this post will provide enough good info that others feel comfortable creating layouts without photos if that's something they need or want to do.

Cath VP

A dust in this great universe
I appreciate the relaxation of the instructions of the challenge which no longer limits the realization of a LO with the exclusivity of personal photos. For some, like me, who has zero family photos, the challenge will be more enjoyable ! See you soon Vicky,

Jeannette

CHEERY O
Thanks for your blogpost. You give us some great ideas.
I know I had trouble in the past scrapping about myself. My childhood wasn't so good, and I always felt that scrapping about me, meant scrapping about the hard times and dissapointments I've had in my life.
Now I feel different, probably because I'm in a good place. No matter what happened, I never lost the child in me. Meaning, scrapping about myself doesn't mean it always has to be serious, or filled with emotion and feelings.
Scrapping about who you are as a person (and I often am a big child having lots of fun and chasing adventures) is okay too.
Like yesterday I had a great time riding with my husband on his motorbike. I love my garden, the vegies and flowers. I love watching birds and spent time in nature. But a few weeks ago I went to an escaperoom with my kids and I had the time of my life.
Happiness and positivity and living in the present is more the true me then the sadness, and heartaces from the past.

Maybe this helps for a lot of scrappers. Think about your favorite music or movie. Think about fun times with family or friends. Think about the small things that make you happy. All those things are "you", and are worth scrapping about!

Jam-on-toast

CHEERY O
Oh, I wish I'd read you post back in 2015! I still remember the first time I was asked to make a photoless page - total stress it was I can tell you! Nowadays, if I need to scrap an event but have no photos - I'll get a themed kit and just journal about it.

Vicki Robinson

Designer
Thanks for your blogpost. You give us some great ideas.
I know I had trouble in the past scrapping about myself. My childhood wasn't so good, and I always felt that scrapping about me, meant scrapping about the hard times and dissapointments I've had in my life.
Now I feel different, probably because I'm in a good place. No matter what happened, I never lost the child in me. Meaning, scrapping about myself doesn't mean it always has to be serious, or filled with emotion and feelings.
Scrapping about who you are as a person (and I often am a big child having lots of fun and chasing adventures) is okay too.
Like yesterday I had a great time riding with my husband on his motorbike. I love my garden, the vegies and flowers. I love watching birds and spent time in nature. But a few weeks ago I went to an escaperoom with my kids and I had the time of my life.
Happiness and positivity and living in the present is more the true me then the sadness, and heartaces from the past.

Maybe this helps for a lot of scrappers. Think about your favorite music or movie. Think about fun times with family or friends. Think about the small things that make you happy. All those things are "you", and are worth scrapping about!
Exactly Jeannette! Although I think there is some therapeutic value in scrapping about difficult or emotional subjects, it isn't necessary to "go there" to order scrap about yourself. (unless that's something you want to do). I have another blog post that barely touches on the hundreds of ideas I have for scrapping about yourself that really focuses on how you saw things as you were growing and developing.

Kythe

CHEERY O
I admire those who have insight into their souls. I just can't do it. I worry too much about what people would think even if I didn't post the page and only loved ones read it. Which I understand is shallow but it just isn't in me to share my innermost thoughts.
However I can do photo-less pages that aren't personal... they just aren't my favourites to do. :oops:

Vicki Robinson

Designer
I admire those who have insight into their souls. I just can't do it. I worry too much about what people would think even if I didn't post the page and only loved ones read it. Which I understand is shallow but it just isn't in me to share my innermost thoughts.
However I can do photo-less pages that aren't personal... they just aren't my favourites to do. :oops:
I totally get that. But the challenge was not an art journaling challenge or to create an introspective scrapping page. It was just to scrap something about yourself — a favorite movie, or book. A favorite teacher, someplace you lived. If you look at the ideas I linked to, you'll see what I mean.

svanderhaegen

CHEERY O
I While many people cherish capturing memories through photographs, I've discovered a profound love for scrapping my journaling texts instead. Admittedly, my life may not be filled with grand adventures or breathtaking scenery that often warrants countless photo albums. However, what it lacks in external spectacle, it more than compensates for in introspection and self-reflection. Each day, I diligently pour my thoughts, emotions, and experiences onto the pages of my journal, creating a tapestry of my inner world. And when I transform these heartfelt musings into meticulously crafted scrapbook pages, the magic truly comes alive. The act of scrapbooking my thoughts serves as a powerful catalyst for introspection, allowing me to delve even deeper into the lessons and revelations that unfold within me.

svanderhaegen

CHEERY O
scrapbooking my thoughts encourages me to pause, reflect, and find gratitude in the ordinary moments of my life. Through the meticulous process of arranging and decorating, I cultivate a profound appreciation for the simple joys and small victories that might otherwise go unnoticed. It's a reminder that life's most beautiful stories are not always found on the glossy surface of photographs but rather within the raw and genuine expressions of our inner selves.

LSlycord

scrapbooking my thoughts encourages me to pause, reflect, and find gratitude in the ordinary moments of my life. Through the meticulous process of arranging and decorating, I cultivate a profound appreciation for the simple joys and small victories that might otherwise go unnoticed. It's a reminder that life's most beautiful stories are not always found on the glossy surface of photographs but rather within the raw and genuine expressions of our inner selves.
Your photo-less pages are striking! I just commented on one this morning. You have this as an art form!

LSlycord

My May Challenge, about scrapping about yourself, raised a couple of interesting questions — one of which I had already anticipated. Some of us don't have family photos to scrap and some of us prefer not to use personal photos at all. So the question is, can you create a meaningful scrapbook page without photos?

In my mind, the answer to that question is a resounding "absolutely"! I've written a blog post with 10 Creative Ways To Scrapbook Your Story Without Photos. After you've had a chance to read that, let me know what you think about those ideas, and feel free to add your own. Hopefully, this post will provide enough good info that others feel comfortable creating layouts without photos if that's something they need or want to do.
I just got around to reading your blog! Some great ideas there that I need to incorporate into my scrapping! Thanks for sharing!