Oscraps

Question about .abr files and an old version of Photoshop

faerywings

The Loopy-O
CHEERY O
I have PS CS5 and I know that ancient in digital lifespans. I am in no position to upgrade to CC so this is what I am content working with.
However, that means many of the brush files that are sold today are not compatible with CS5 which is a disappointment because I adore using brushes. I collect brushes the same way I collect fonts. (Collect/hoard, tomato/tomahto :D )
I know that there is a way to take .pngs and turn them into a brush but I can't remember how to do that. That is also going to get really time-consuming seeing as I have so many brushes collected. *ahem- hoarded*
The next question is if there is a way to write a script/action to do that for me? Maybe there is one in the shop?
These are things way out of the realm of what I can do on my own so any help at all is truly appreciated!

marijke

I love the O!
CHEERY O
Chris, I don't have PS CS5 -
I tried in my version CC - maybe you find it in your version
I opened a png file and then edit - define brush preset and you can save as ...

cherylc

I know exactly where you are coming from, I'm fortunately enough to have CC 2019 which does work with the newer brush files.....Have a look at Affinity Photo I do have it installed on my PC and it's pretty close to PS a one of price and if you wait until it's on special offer which it is at the moment it's only £ 23.99 and a lifetime of free updates. The Affinity Photo is comparable to PS and the Affinity Designer is as good as abode illustrator. I hope that helps

Nickel

Feeling Owsome at the O!
CHEERY O
I have the same "problem" at home.

Open the .png file.
Resize it if bigger than 2500
Control -click on the miniature (of the file) in the layer panel to get it seleted
Edit- Define as brush preset

If you want more brushes in a abr file. Go to the preset mange, choose brushes in the drop down menu.
Control click to select the brushes you want in a file.

You cab with File - automate (if you put the png files in one folder)

ETA: I have to read better, Marijke told it too

Vicki Robinson

Designer + Brush Queen + Mac Guru
Designer
I have PS CS5 and I know that ancient in digital lifespans. I am in no position to upgrade to CC so this is what I am content working with.
However, that means many of the brush files that are sold today are not compatible with CS5 which is a disappointment because I adore using brushes. I collect brushes the same way I collect fonts. (Collect/hoard, tomato/tomahto :D )
I know that there is a way to take .pngs and turn them into a brush but I can't remember how to do that. That is also going to get really time-consuming seeing as I have so many brushes collected. *ahem- hoarded*
The next question is if there is a way to write a script/action to do that for me? Maybe there is one in the shop?
These are things way out of the realm of what I can do on my own so any help at all is truly appreciated!
Yes! Wendy has one you can buy — just double check with her that it will run on CS5.

faerywings

The Loopy-O
CHEERY O
Thank you all for your help! I am going to see if I can figure out how to do this on my own, but if not it is wonderful to know that Wendy has an action for it.

faerywings

The Loopy-O
CHEERY O
Quick question, I was able to make the action then batch run it on Open Files. They get added to the Preset Manager, any idea how I add that step on to my action? I am on a MISSION to figure this out...

but I broke my brain....

faerywings

The Loopy-O
CHEERY O
I think I have accomplished as much as I can. I was able to create the action and then manually went to the preset manager to save the set. I tried to convert some stitches but ran into a problem when some of them were over 2500, I guess that is the largest they can be? I tried to batch resize in ACDSee but that destroys the .pngs.

I guess I got farther than I thought but not to where I wanted to be.
C'est la vie!

*goes to find some glue for my broken brain*

Vicki Robinson

Designer + Brush Queen + Mac Guru
Designer
Quick question, I was able to make the action then batch run it on Open Files. They get added to the Preset Manager, any idea how I add that step on to my action? I am on a MISSION to figure this out...

but I broke my brain....
I always laugh when someone starts out saying "quick question" Lol.

I'm pretty sure you can't open some ABR files in CS5 is because of the size issue. The max size used to be 2500 px, so if even one brush tip in the set is over that, you won't be able to open the entire set.

So now you have the same problem but in reverse. You could trying creating a separate action that resizes down to 2500 on which ever side of the PNG is the biggest, but that will get complicated quickly. Or, instead of completely breaking your brain, you could message @wendyzine is the action guru of the world. Lol.

faerywings

The Loopy-O
CHEERY O
I always laugh when someone starts out saying "quick question" Lol.

I'm pretty sure you can't open some ABR files in CS5 is because of the size issue. The max size used to be 2500 px, so if even one brush tip in the set is over that, you won't be able to open the entire set.

So now you have the same problem but in reverse. You could trying creating a separate action that resizes down to 2500 on which ever side of the PNG is the biggest, but that will get complicated quickly. Or, instead of completely breaking your brain, you could message @wendyzine is the action guru of the world. Lol.
Isn't that the truth re: "quick questions" hahahah!!!!!!!
That is exactly the problem I ran into, I tried to create an action to resize the pngs and that is waaaaaaay out of my capability. Way out.
The action that Wendy has says PSCC only so it looks like that won't work for me. But I did what I wanted-- tried to figure it out on my own. I found some super glue so my brain isn't broken anymore-- just a bit sticky :D

Thank you all for so much help!

PS: I reread what you wrote-- so it is the tips in the abr files themselves which is why they won't open in CS5. I see! I thought it was a compatibitly issue within the "file structure" itself. Noty that it changes anything with my software but at least I understand why they don't work. TY again!!

faerywings

The Loopy-O
CHEERY O
OMG-- I am such an annoying DORK!!!
I looked again at Wendy's action and it says PSCS5+/CC. I need to read these things after the caffeine has actually *hit* my brain. I am going to message her and make sure!

wendyzine

Action Guru
Sorry. Late to the discussion. I am on vacation this week. Yay for me! lol

As you all have worked out, in older versions, brush files can only be loaded if they contain brushes under 2500 pixels. My brush script won’t work for you. My brush action probably would have but it only does what you already worked out. It won’t save out the actua brush file. You need to do that manually.

So that leaves the step of resizing the files to 2500 pixels or less. To do that i would recommend a conditional action. But I cannot remember if CS5 has that feature. It very well may not. A conditional action allows you to say “if a canvas is horizontal, do this (resize to 2500 width), else do that (resize to 2500 height). That may have come with CC version. It’s been waaaaayyyy to long for me to remember when that feature was added. If you can do it, you can add that to your action. Otherwise, you can add a resize step with a toggle turned on which will make you enter the resize parameters on every file as it batches.

All that said, if you buy an ABR file and it doesn’t come with PNGs, there is nothing you can do if they are over 2500px. You just canno access those files.

Let me know if you have other questions! Email is best especially while I am on vacation. lol

faerywings

The Loopy-O
CHEERY O
Wendy, I know I said it in my message to you, but am saying here as well-- I am in awe of your skills!
Thanks for letting me know about the action in your shop.
As far as writing a "conditional action"- ain't enough superglue in the world to fix my brain after I break it, if I attempted that. I will leave that to the pros like Wendy. o_O :D
You ladies are the best. xo

ETA: Have a wonderful time on vacation!

joyfulheartdesigns

Jenn :)
Designer
Just so you maybe feel a little bit better about your situation...I am on PS CS4!! LOL I have been brush hoarding for so many years, and it is funny because so many of them are too tiny to actually use in any of my designs since I am working on the 12x12 inch canvas. EPS files are an awesome thing to use, BTW....you can open those puppies up as big as you want!! LOL I miss working in PS CS4 :p........I need to take some time to do something creative, this coming weekend :)

faerywings

The Loopy-O
CHEERY O
o_O :pJust so you maybe feel a little bit better about your situation...I am on PS CS4!! LOL I have been brush hoarding for so many years, and it is funny because so many of them are too tiny to actually use in any of my designs since I am working on the 12x12 inch canvas. EPS files are an awesome thing to use, BTW....you can open those puppies up as big as you want!! LOL I miss working in PS CS4 :p........I need to take some time to do something creative, this coming weekend :)
Jenn, you are too funny:D Whatever you use to make those gorgeous, grungy papers is obviously working!
EPS files---- I have seen them on some download sites but never used them. I am going to have to check them out.

Does this mean I am going to have to say I am a font/abr/eps addict from now on?