Oscraps

On the subject of positivity

Lynn Grieveson

Designer
Designer
I live with a very self-aware and smart Gen Z uni student, and it's really interesting seeing her and her friends' mix of cynicism and empathy.

For example, she has always been a really optimistic and positive person (just the luck of the personality draw!), but she also rejects the whole pressure to smile and 'look on the bright side' as 'toxic positivity'. It's really interesting to think about. Research shows the mere act of smiling can lift your spirits, and it's definitely a gift we can give to others. But it's still a form of pressure to be expected to always act positive, and masking your emotions is not great.

giphy.gif

Yes, these are the sorts of debates we have as we cook together! And I love it.

And it also influences my design process, as you can see in my new collection: Positivity :)

POSITIVITY COLLECTION

lgrieveson-positivity-bundle-thumb.jpg

giphy.gif

RJMJ

Amazing! Lynn!...Thank You! for sharing your thoughts with us!...I feel exactly the same way...I try to remain positive...but I'm not that smiley,shiny walking around person either...I'm a deep thinker & I'm always pondering some thing I'm trying to figure out...so I'm seemingly always distracted by my own thoughts...It's a pain sometimes...That smiley person just isn't me but that doesn't mean I'm not positive despite all of my own personal struggles...My brain is always thinking of a hundred things at once...My brain,my experiences in life,how I feel & how I think,work & create just isn't an extroverted smiley person...but I do enjoy a good joke & I do enjoy smiling & laughing when It is just the thing to do in certain moments!!!... #kiss3 #kiss

bcgal00

CHEERY O
Gorgeous collection! I try to be positive but also acknowledge my darker thoughts and feelings but don't dwell on them.