Oscraps

Old tricks

Scrapmemories

Lorraine
Tanteva’s post about showing your oldest layout in the gallery gave me an idea. I decided to look through my own gallery at techniques I’ve used in the past and haven’t done in a long time.

One of the tricks was using frames in a unique way or creating frames with brushes (like this layout here).

I’d love to hear what old techniques/tricks you haven’t used in a long time.

tanteva

all i need is Oscraps, cOffee, chOcOlate & tOfu
Don't think I have any special old tricks that I'm not using anymore. At least any that are worth picking up again LOL Guess the fact that I haven't scrapped for 5 years, makes it I only have old tricks to use?

But I noticed two things I used to do a lot that I don't do anymore: Top Lists and whimsical art pages. Here are 2 examples:

Five page turners

Mr. Pellingham

faerywings

The Loopy-O
CHEERY O
I looked through a lot of old LOs and I don't think there is one style/technique that I used. The one *big* thing I noticed is that I rarely scrap photos of myself anymore. In the past two years, I found 4 LOs with me in photos.

tanteva

all i need is Oscraps, cOffee, chOcOlate & tOfu
I looked through a lot of old LOs and I don't think there is one style/technique that I used. The one *big* thing I noticed is that I rarely scrap photos of myself anymore. In the past two years, I found 4 LOs with me in photos.

Interesting - since the selfie frenzy has exploded during the last years.

Kythe

CHEERY O
Not me. No selfies. Possibly because I do not have a smartphone. I have an ipad but it is way too heavy to use as a selfie camera besides which, I use a good camera for a camera and a phone for a phone. I refuse to pay gazillions for a cell phone that I would rarely use.
My SIL sends me photos to make scrap pages for her but she uses a cell phone and the quality is 96px. Not good for printing.

Cherylndesigns

I'm in The Zone ~ The "O" Zone
CHEERY O
Interesting topic, I can't think of anything right off the top of my head, but I'll look at some of my old layouts and see if anything jumps out at me.

Scrapmemories

Lorraine
That is interesting! I want to see a layout with you in it ....soon! LOL

scribler

The O is my hOme.
CHEERY O
Not me. No selfies. Possibly because I do not have a smartphone. I have an ipad but it is way too heavy to use as a selfie camera besides which, I use a good camera for a camera and a phone for a phone. I refuse to pay gazillions for a cell phone that I would rarely use.
My SIL sends me photos to make scrap pages for her but she uses a cell phone and the quality is 96px. Not good for printing.
My number one priority in buying a smartphone is the camera for this exact reason. I want it to provide me with great photos. Otherwise, I would choose a much less expensive smartphone. Any phone with a big screen, cause my eyes are not young, would do for reading Twitter.

AZK

Queen of the Universe
CHEERY O
My number one priority in buying a smartphone is the camera for this exact reason. I want it to provide me with great photos. Otherwise, I would choose a much less expensive smartphone. Any phone with a big screen, cause my eyes are not young, would do for reading Twitter.
This. Word for word! The reviews on the camera and the size of the screen were the reasons I got my current phone.

BrightEyes

Kay
CHEERY O
One of the tricks I used to do is using the sketch filter. Here are two different LOs I did back in 2019

This one mainly using black and white with just a hint of color

This one with colors and sketch

Last edited:

BrightEyes

Kay
CHEERY O

I agree with you, Kythe/Karen... I have never taken photos with my cellphone. I much prefer using a camera for photos. Family members send me photos they take with their cellphones to use in scrapping. Since I don't print my LOs, the 96px does not become an issue.

faerywings

The Loopy-O
CHEERY O
FWIW- I "steal" photos of my nephew off of SIL's FB page to make his albums. She uses her cell to take them but when I drag them onto a page, they always come out crisp, not pixelated. If I use a photo from her directly in Shutterfly, that gives me the low-resolution warning, but when on a scrap page (12x12, 300 dpi JPG) they look perfect.

zanthia

CHEERY O
dont have it here but one thing i recall used to doing a lot that havent done in a while is color embossing

filter stylize emboss is gray but there is a way to make it in color ( not by duplicating original and changing blend mode )

Kythe

CHEERY O
FWIW- I "steal" photos of my nephew off of SIL's FB page to make his albums. She uses her cell to take them but when I drag them onto a page, they always come out crisp, not pixelated. If I use a photo from her directly in Shutterfly, that gives me the low-resolution warning, but when on a scrap page (12x12, 300 dpi JPG) they look perfect.
The reason there is that you have put the LO on a 300dpi page and merged. I do that a lot when I get elements etc from web sources that only have 96 or 72 dpi. after merging they come out as 300dpi