Oscraps

New Year's Memories and Traditions

Susan - s3js

CHEERY O
I used to love going out for New Year's celebrations, although I mostly stay home now. At 68 my inclination to party is a bit dimmed!

When I was stationed in London for New Year's Eve 1978, I was sick and not planning on going out at all. Three of the Marines from the Embassy Marine Security Detachment appeared at my door around 8PM and told me I'd been sick at home long enough and had two choices - get dressed or they were taking me out in my pajamas. I got dressed, took meds, and climbed in the taxi with them to go to Piccadilly Circus. We walked from there to Horse Guards Barracks where the guys had friends who were restricted to barracks because they were changing the guard the next morning, so they were hanging out their windows to celebrate with the thousands below. From Piccadilly to St. James Park across from the Clock Tower of Big Ben and Westminster Abby, all down the park and The Mall to Buckingham Palace was packed with people, so it took a while to make the half-mile trek, many times the 5 minutes it usually took. I climbed a ladder about 30-40 feet up to give all Horse Guards in the barracks a New Years kiss - the US Army to the recuse. They appreciated the irony and were perfect gentlemen. It was the codeine in my cough medicine (didn't know it was there!) that made me do it. The problem was, I still had to get down. Down I came though to loud cheers. My Marines were impressed! Drinks were pressed on us at the pub then off we went to Buckingham Palace. The crowd was so huge we couldn't hear Big Ben chime in the New Year. The taxi finally dropped me off my flat 14 miles away after we had breakfast about 8. The Marines tucked me in, told me they were proud of their honorary Marine, and went back to their quarters. It was THE BEST New Year's Eve ever!

After that, New Year's Eve was pretty tame, especially once we went into the ministry and were required to do Watch Night services. I always hated them and never went before we had to do them. We never stayed until midnight, wanting our church members to be home safe before the drunk drivers hit the road. We had dinner, watched a movie, and went home. Then we watched the New Year in with Dick Clark and went to bed ater the big ball dropped at Times Square. Now it's a big apple, but we will stay home and celebrate quietly, watch it drop, and go to bed. Tomorrow, I will watch the Tournament of Roses Parade, maybe a little football, eat black-eyed peas and ham, oyster dressing, and some other goodies. Our family tradition holds that what you do on New Year's Day you will do during the following year. I will sleep in a little, play a little, work a little, talk with friends and family on the phone, and hopefully meet some new family.

LSlycord

What very cool memories! We have never been big partiers. Most of my memories of New Years Eve center around a TV screen where I did the countdown with my mom if I had the energy to stay up. Now, I might do that same countdown with my children. (Last night, it was Syd and me counting it out together.) Today will be low key!

Cherylndesigns

I'm in The Zone ~ The "O" Zone
CHEERY O
What a great story, Susan! That must have been super exciting to spend NYE in London and go to all those famous sites, all in one night.

We have stayed home and watched the ball drop too for several years. Last night, I actually went to a NYE party at the restaurants in town. There were 10 of us and we ate dinner there, then left shortly after the countdown. It was fun to get dressed up and go to a party. We were home by about 12:30 though and live in a pretty small town, so there weren't crazy drivers on the road.

Susan - s3js

CHEERY O
I live in a small town, too, but it's a college town so it tries to act big. Calls itself a city but it's not - it's a town and just barely that! Sadly we have some crazies because the town has only been wet about 5 years and people forget they don't have to drive 20 miles for a drink. The county is dry, though. But the Sheriff's deputies are pretty cool about lifting keys and making sure people get home - the barkeepers, too.