Oscraps

Lockdown Meals

Scrapmemories

Lorraine
One of the things that most families are finding during Sheltering In Place is that since they aren't going out for meals, is rediscovering cooking at home. Are you cooking as a family? Rotating cooking duties? Trying new recipes? What has been your experience during the past few months.

For us, we discovered local farms opted to sell directly to the public since they couldn't supply their crop to cruise ships or restaurants. It was a great experience and totally drive thru. We got pounds of fresh tomatoes, zucchini, squash, cucumbers and fruits at about 50cents a lb. And then had to figure out how to take cook a bunch of meals and freeze or share them. Being vegetarian it felt great to get fresh foods and at a bargain price.

Share your experiences of Lockdown meals.

Last edited by a moderator:

faerywings

The Loopy-O
CHEERY O
I am sooooo jealous!! That is fantastic that you were able to get so much produce.
Produce is one of the things I am struggling to get, way more than toilet paper. Ha!! My family is high-risk so I have been having tons of issues getting spots for shop from home/pick-ups. Spots are usually not available until over a week out. Between that and not knowing exactly what will be in the final order, it has become really hard to plan meals.

The other night, I made a spinach-parmesan dutch baby. I had some fresh baby spinach that was starting to get soggy for a salad, so that was a great way to use it up. I had all of the ingredients in the house and it was easy to make. The family enjoyed it too so that will be a make-again if I ever get more spinach.
Another recipe that I have been making a lot since I usually have all of the ingredients in the house is garlic-bread pasta. You toast up bread crumbs in some butter with Italian seasonings. Melt 1/2 cup butter with lots of fresh garlic and toss it all together with pasta.

If anyone wants the recipes, I will post :)

Scrapmemories

Lorraine
Another recipe that I have been making a lot since I usually have all of the ingredients in the house is garlic-bread pasta. You toast up bread crumbs in some butter with Italian seasonings. Melt 1/2 cup butter with lots of fresh garlic and toss it all together with pasta.

If anyone wants the recipes, I will post :)

Yummy Chris. Yes please post the recipe. I love love love garlic. Back in January we took an Italian cooking class and the chef gave us the best tip. Buy the Costco size peeled garlic and mince it. Store it in extra extra virgin olive oil. Minced it made (4) 1.5 pint size ball jars. I keep one in the fridge and freeze the others. We use so much garlic in our dishes.
Living in south Florida, it's been heating up so our growing season is the opposite the north. We are approaching the end of our season so we are trying to freeze as much prepared meals as we can with our bounty.

VickiStegall

Administrator
Designer
CHEERY O
Because of our food allergies/preferences/etc, we all pretty much just cook for ourselves like we have for the last little while. We have gotten pizza take out a few times though!

Scrapmemories

Lorraine
Because of our food allergies/preferences/etc, we all pretty much just cook for ourselves like we have for the last little while. We have gotten pizza take out a few times though!

Dealing with food allergies has to be challenging. Transitioning to a new normal will be easier for you though because there are some of my friends that can't relax and chill at home. They have been getting take out every night. You won't find me eating in a restaurant any time soon.

vivaartistry

Designer
We usually cook our meals anyway so it wasn't any different and we have my mom living with us now so it's a 3 way split...the only difference is that my husband has been home a LOOONNNNGGG time! He's normally overseas 3 weeks out of the month so he has been working at home for almost 2 months now and I AM NOT USED TO THAT!

That said, we have been doing more take-out than normal to help our restaurant industry stay afloat. And this week, we have been to two outdoor restaurants when they opened up!!!

scribler

The O is my hOme.
CHEERY O
I definitely do my part to keep the restaurant business going. It's all takeout, even now that restaurants are opening back up here, but I still do my part. lol

Scrapmemories

Lorraine
We usually cook our meals anyway so it wasn't any different and we have my mom living with us now so it's a 3 way split...the only difference is that my husband has been home a LOOONNNNGGG time! He's normally overseas 3 weeks out of the month so he has been working at home for almost 2 months now and I AM NOT USED TO THAT!

That said, we have been doing more take-out than normal to help our restaurant industry stay afloat. And this week, we have been to two outdoor restaurants when they opened up!!!

LOOONNNNGGG time - LOL

faerywings

The Loopy-O
CHEERY O
Since we always have cans of black beans on hand, I made these a few weeks ago. It isn't the usual recipe I make since that one calls for fresh jalapenos and cilantro but this one has everything "pantry-friendly."

Black Bean Burgers

ETA One more:
Crispy Bean and Cheese Burritos
I use vegetarian beans so my DD can eat them. Everything else is stuff we usually have on hand

Last edited:

faerywings

The Loopy-O
CHEERY O

Oh my goodness, that is horrible. I hope that you are able to reunite soon. That must be difficult on the kids too :(

My son has been with his GF for 6 1/2 years (or is it 7 1/2?) Either way, they started dating when they were 16 and DS is going to be 24 in 2 weeks.
They haven't seen each other since this started and I know how tough is in on them. They are self-isolating for 14 days, not leaving homes, and her mom and my family are only leaving to pick up curbside groceries. At the end of the 14 days, they plan to meet up at one of our houses and we all hope it will be safe enough. It should be but still everyone is cautious.

faerywings

The Loopy-O
CHEERY O
Oh, no- I read that backward!!! :pound: I thought that your DH was overseas for that long!!!!
My DH is disabled and mostly homebound since 2007 so I always think that people are used to having men underfoot. In that case, I hope that he is able to go back to work in a safe situation soon. :p