Oscraps

Layer count in PSE

AZK

Queen of the Universe
CHEERY O
Does anyone know if there is a way to tell how many layers are in your document when you are creating a layout? Sometimes in discussions I see people saying that their layout has 20 or 50 or even over 100 layers in the file! I am using PSE 13 on a Windows 10 PC and I can't see where that information is kept anywhere. The last time I tried to manually count how many layers a layout had, I kept losing my place and I think that layout only had about 15 layers!

wombat146

ONA - Administrator
CHEERY O
To my knowledge Angie I don't think PSE or PS has any layer counting feature. I have used PSE VER 6 right through to ver 14 and then changed over late last year to PS CC. I think the only way is to count them manually. :) And I hear you on the losing your place as you count, tried that a few times and gave up after around 40! lol! That is one thing I really like about PS CC, the fact that you can pop several layers into a folder to group them together. :) You can do that with PSE using the Elements XXL plug in as well. Good luck!!! :)

Vicki Robinson

Designer + Brush Queen + Mac Guru
Designer
Ona is partially correct - PSE has no built in functionality to show a layer count and her suggestion of grouping layers - say 5 at a time would be a great way to count the layers if you are using PSE 15 or newer. Or, as Ona says, the Elements XXL plug-in would work - you should be able to Google it.

I did find another way that involves downloading a free script that will work in PSE, but I need to test it before I recommend it.

In the full version of Photoshop, however, you can see the number of layers in your PSD by opening the Info Panel from the Windows menu. Click the little lines in the upper right corner and be sure Layer Count is selected. Alternatively, you can check the document status bar at the very bottom left of the document - click the little right pointing arrow to choose Layer Count.

VickiStegall

Administrator
Designer
CHEERY O
Ona is partially correct - PSE has no built in functionality to show a layer count and her suggestion of grouping layers - say 5 at a time would be a great way to count the layers if you are using PSE 15 or newer. Or, as Ona says, the Elements XXL plug-in would work - you should be able to Google it.

I did find another way that involves downloading a free script that will work in PSE, but I need to test it before I recommend it.

In the full version of Photoshop, however, you can see the number of layers in your PSD by opening the Info Panel from the Windows menu. Click the little lines in the upper right corner and be sure Layer Count is selected. Alternatively, you can check the document status bar at the very bottom left of the document - click the little right pointing arrow to choose Layer Count.

interesting! thanks!

AZK

Queen of the Universe
CHEERY O
Yes, in the latest discussion I read, grouping was mentioned as a way to keep layers manageable, but I was wondering if there was something else I was missing. I thought it might be a full Photoshop vs PSE thing, like so many things are.

wombat146

ONA - Administrator
CHEERY O

Oh thanks for that Vicki! :rockon: I never knew that! You are pretty smart for an ol' chook!!!! :pound: xxx :love:

AZK

Queen of the Universe
CHEERY O
Once I get my notebook back up and running I might just upgrade to the latest version of PSE. I'm not sure if I have any licenses left for my current version, and that way I can at least have the benefit of the grouping function..