Oscraps

July Challenge #4 - Artist Inspiration

scribler

The O is my hOme.
CHEERY O
1655993250738.png

All members that participate, can everyone PLEASE ensure that you read all the rules for this challenge so that you can claim your challenge points. Thank you! :)

I am excited to be back hosting one of my favorite challenges, Artist Inspiration. For this months inspiration, I want to share with you a group of artists that may be unfamiliar to you, The Florida Highwaymen, The Florida Highwaymen were 26 African American landscape artists who got their name because of how they sold their landscape paintings along the highway in SE Florida for about $25. A lot of t how work originated out of the county I live in which is one of the reasons I chose to highlight them. (If you bought one of their original paintings and still had it, you could potentially sell it today for thousands of dollars.) Below is a link to a Wikipedia article to begin learning more about these artists (25 men and one woman).

Examples of The Highwaymen art.

Highwaymen2.jpg

Highwaymen1.jpg

Highwaymen3.jpg

Highwaymen4.jpg

This is just a few examples of their work. I've created a Pinterest board with even more examples.

Remember, you don't have to be inspired by the exact subject of the painting. You can be inspired by the colors. You can be inspired by where your imagination takes you when you look at the art. Scroll down through "more like this" for the whole board or an individual paitnting on Pinterest. The initial images are very similar but the option start to grow for finding inspiration.

Here's my page.

ArtImitatesLife700.jpg

My Inspiration: I am lucky enough to live less than 30 minutes from where many of the Florida Highwaymen lived, so I was inspired to use one of my photos from the same area that probably inspired much of their artwork.

Credits: Tropical, an Oscraps Collab, Float On Watercolor Overlays and Flea Market Finds Antique Ledger Overlays from Crafty Button Designs and Vitamin Sea Kit, Texture Overlays 06 and Butterflies 01 from Vicki Robinson.

When you post your page, please share with us how the artwork of The Florida Highwaymen inspired you.

RULES:
- Create a page inspired by the work of The Florida HIghwaymen. Please do not use the image itself as it may be copyrighted.
- Please use 80% Oscraps products that are currently in the store.
- Non-Oscraps products or retired O designer products can be used whether the designer is selling elsewhere or not.
- You need to credit all the products used on your layout.
- Your layout can not be used for more than one challenge.
- Your page must be posted in the Challenge 4 gallery by midnight PST 31 July 2022 and linked back to this thread (see below on how to add your linked layout).
- And do not forget to update the CURRENT MONTH'S TRACKING THREAD to be eligible for your coupon.

Adding a linked layout from the Gallery to a thread:
1. Upload your layout to the gallery first. In your forum post click the Gallery Embed icon (little camera).
2. This will open your gallery, simply click on the layout you require, then scroll down to the bottom of the screen and click the Continue button.
3. Your linked layout is now in your post, the image will appear once you have clicked the Post Reply button.

Last edited:

terryspear

The sea and storms, you might see the lightning from the clouds, the seagulls and sun remind me of Florida. The colorful paintings of the seas influenced this page.

isDK

The Florida palm trees don't work in Colorado, and the clouds aren't those puffy things. As I wrote in my journaling, I was inspired by the colors. I used a sunrise and a bird photo I had already used in my book, taken Monday in Colorado. Mr Stone didn't think he liked abstract art, but he loved this. :D

Last edited:

mom2triplets04

Nickel

Feeling Owsome at the O!
CHEERY O