Oscraps

It's Oscar Time!

Scrapmemories

Lorraine
The Oscars nominations will be announced this Tuesday, January 22nd. This past year we joined a movie club on one of the major chains and fell in love with going to the theater again. There is nothing like seeing a movie on the big screen.

What are your favorite picks for this awards season?

taxed4ever

Administrator Crazy about the "O"
CHEERY O
Just watched A Star is Born last night and have seen Bohemian Rhapsody already! Loved them both, it will be hard to choose a favorite! DH and myself usually get free movie passes with our scene debit cards so yes it is so much better to see the great movies on the big screen!

Scrapmemories

Lorraine
I was bummed to have missed Star is Born in the theater. I hope it will make another round before the Oscars. Bohemian was fabulous. On my watch list is Beale Street.

faerywings

The Loopy-O
CHEERY O
In the last 10 years or so, I think I have been to 2 movies in a theater. A Harry Potter...no idea which one, 5 maybe?... and La La Land with a friend who won tickets and invited me.
I wouldn't even know what movies would be nominated or who was in them. :noidea: :D

felis

When you say 'theater', you mean what in Europe say cinema, if I'm got it correct?! I actually prefer to watch movie in my house comfort. I'm a big fan of Oscars, but mostly first watch the show to plan which movies to see after that.

But for the real theater- actors play on stage just of front of you, oh I just love this! In my country on cinema people go with daily dress, but for theater and ballet is elegant, and for opera official dress code. It's really special event, as a small celebration. I really miss this visits, because now I live in countryside and without drive license, plays are to late to can visit them.

bcgal00

CHEERY O
Haven't seen any of the nominations yet except for Black Panther, Bohemian Rhapsody and A Star Is Born and loved them all but I can't see BP winning. On my to-watch list is Crazy Rich Asians, Roma and Can You Ever Forgive Me.

I don't watch the show but love to see the highlights afterwards on the news and youtube.

Scrapmemories

Lorraine
Hi Chris:
I was like that for the longest time until I joined MoviePass- unlimited movies for $10. I got my monies worth last year until they were going under. It got us hooked to going out. My daughter has a disability and part of that is social anxiety. It was a great way to get us out of the house. We have now joined the AMC movie club and for $11 get to see up to 12 movies a month including IMAX and Dolby.

In the last 10 years or so, I think I have been to 2 movies in a theater. A Harry Potter...no idea which one, 5 maybe?... and La La Land with a friend who won tickets and invited me.
I wouldn't even know what movies would be nominated or who was in them. :noidea: :D

Scrapmemories

Lorraine
Yes, Cinema! I love the stage but often way out of my budget. Local small theatre is always an option.
My 87 year old mom loves the red carpet. This year will be interesting without a host!

When you say 'theater', you mean what in Europe say cinema, if I'm got it correct?! I actually prefer to watch movie in my house comfort. I'm a big fan of Oscars, but mostly first watch the show to plan which movies to see after that.

But for the real theater- actors play on stage just of front of you, oh I just love this! In my country on cinema people go with daily dress, but for theater and ballet is elegant, and for opera official dress code. It's really special event, as a small celebration. I really miss this visits, because now I live in countryside and without drive license, plays are to late to can visit them.

Scrapmemories

Lorraine
I loved Black Panther, Rae. Yes, I agree it won't win best picture but hopefully will pick up some other awards. Crazy Rich Asians was sweet and funny. Awkwafina stole the movie (in my opinion). Can you Ever Forgive is also on my to watch list too.
I usually record and fast forward through much of it :0

Haven't seen any of the nominations yet except for Black Panther, Bohemian Rhapsody and A Star Is Born and loved them all but I can't see BP winning. On my to-watch list is Crazy Rich Asians, Roma and Can You Ever Forgive Me.

I don't watch the show but love to see the highlights afterwards on the news and youtube.

faerywings

The Loopy-O
CHEERY O
Lorraine- that is a great deal! Just one ticket is $11.

Way back when my kids were little, our cable company had a free matinee on Wednesday's if you showed your rewards card. I would take the kids over the summer if the weather was bad. We got to see a few movies that way and we would smuggle in juice boxes and snacks ;)

Danesa

Danesa
I was so out of touch this past year of going out anywhere. :) The only movie I saw was Black Panther and that was on my bedroom "big screen." haha

zanthia

CHEERY O
Hi Chris:
I was like that for the longest time until I joined MoviePass- unlimited movies for $10. I got my monies worth last year until they were going under. It got us hooked to going out. My daughter has a disability and part of that is social anxiety. It was a great way to get us out of the house. We have now joined the AMC movie club and for $11 get to see up to 12 movies a month including IMAX and Dolby.

where do you live that you got amc for 11 a month - those i know on it and from what i read it is 20/ month with a 3 month commitment. you just cant join for one month.

scribler

The O is my hOme.
CHEERY O
The last time I was really interested in the Oscars was the year Les Mis was nominated. I still think Hugh Jackman was robbed.

I wish Black Panther would win but the superhero movie issue is gonna kill it.