Oscraps

I Think My Style is Evolving

pachimac

I solemnly swear I am up to no good!
CHEERY O
I am running into scrapping paralysis lately because I think my style is evolving and I'm stuck in the middle of two camps: Art Journaling and still artsy, but not scribbly, if that makes sense.

What do you do if you've ever been in this situation? I just keep scrapping, and I know eventually I'll get that "YES!!!" feeling again, but right now I am very insecure about my pages. They either feel too "messy" and "fussy", or too plain and boring to me.

This is not a "poor me" plea to get compliments - it's a plea to help me get over this hump. I know I can make good pages. I know I have talent. I know people like my stuff. This isn't what it's about. I really want to find that middle balance.

Do you just keep playing? Do you find kits that are more what you're trying to do so that you DON'T go over or under board?

How do you balance when you're bi-scraptual and moving to try new things?

Kythe

CHEERY O
I find styles that I want to move toward and muck around a lot. Tutorials and Scraplifts help too.

pachimac

CHEERY O
I find styles that I want to move toward and muck around a lot. Tutorials and Scraplifts help too.

I need to do that. I mostly do my layouts with the CT duties, so I don't give myself time to play. That's a really good piece of advice. Thank you!

Jam-on-toast

CHEERY O
I think we all go through this at some point... When it happens to me - when I feel like I'm stuck - I choose a template and go from there...

I have also realized that there are some kits - and even designers - that I find more difficult than others... I may love the kit and it may have the right colors and elements and all but... it just doens't flow... so if a layouts just doesn't happen - change the kit! Of, if that's not possible (CT work, I know) - change the idea - choose a different photo and use a template/sketch to get you started.

But then again.. perhaps all you need is a break from scrapping... it may sound counter intuitive but... stepping away for a few days helps...

LSlycord

My design is so simple...it sometimes embarrasses me. I wish that I were more artsy. But I really only can do what I do. I do look at tutorials and sometimes use templates as places to begin. And I also realize that there are people at all different places in their scrapping...and hopefully I can inspire some beginners who are just starting their journey!

scribler

The O is my hOme.
CHEERY O
For me, I don't have one style. I love art journaling but sometimes I want to do something more traditional. I just work on the page until I feel good about the page. I don't often have a "yes!" moment but I can achieve a page I am happy with and I go for it. If I achieve what I feel is awesome, then all the better.

faerywings

The Loopy-O
CHEERY O
Hahahaha!! I am poly-scraptual. I use and love just about all scrap styles. I uploaded a LO yesterday that to me at least was very traditional. The previous day, I did one in total fantasy style. I think, for me, I just play around and see what looks right/feels right

scribler

The O is my hOme.
CHEERY O
Hahahaha!! I am poly-scraptual. I use and love just about all scrap styles. I uploaded a LO yesterday that to me at least was very traditional. The previous day, I did one in total fantasy style. I think, for me, I just play around and see what looks right/feels right
I'm going to start using "poly-scraptual" cause I don't stick with one style either and I love that term.

Vicki Robinson

Designer + Brush Queen + Mac Guru
Designer
Love this thread — and the “bi-scraptual” and “poly-scraptual” has me chuckling — although my spell check is shooting daggers! Lol!

You are absolutely not alone and designers go thru the same stuff. I’ve been struggling with that a LOT lately. That why some of my collections are very art journal-y and others more artsy. I adore pages with lots of white space but on the other hand swoon over pages with tons of elements and marvel at pages with amazing blending.

I love working with teams with such diverse styles for exactly that reason, but my head is in the same space as yours — trying to figure out what lane I’m in without causing a head on collision! Lol.

AZK

Queen of the Universe
CHEERY O
While I am almost always a single-photo scrapper, I do try to mix up styles. Even without the responsibilities of being on a CT, I think being able to present a variety of styles can be a good thing. Since we have such a diverse array of designer styles here I try to do a little bit of everything technique-wise. Having said that, like Olga commented, some styles of products I just have trouble working with, even if they are gorgeous. I don't care for templates so scraplifting is usually my solution.

Cherylndesigns

I'm in The Zone ~ The "O" Zone
CHEERY O
I struggle when I can't do artsy or art journal-y pages (like for specific challenges). I recently just deleted and started over at least 3 times on the same page. Finally got things the way I wanted them. I don't do that very often, but sometimes it just works. Usually, if I just play around with the page long enough, it falls into place. Sometimes, it's more difficult than other times.

If I really get stuck, I just go on to something else.

pachimac

CHEERY O
I think we all go through this at some point... When it happens to me - when I feel like I'm stuck - I choose a template and go from there...

I have also realized that there are some kits - and even designers - that I find more difficult than others... I may love the kit and it may have the right colors and elements and all but... it just doens't flow... so if a layouts just doesn't happen - change the kit! Of, if that's not possible (CT work, I know) - change the idea - choose a different photo and use a template/sketch to get you started.

But then again.. perhaps all you need is a break from scrapping... it may sound counter intuitive but... stepping away for a few days helps...

I get what you're saying. Sometimes a break is inevitable and helpful. I did that a few times when I was CT over at another forum. I took a 6 month break and then came back.

I think that you hit on something that I resonate with: some kits are more difficult than others. I find cartoony kits impossible.

pachimac

CHEERY O
My design is so simple...it sometimes embarrasses me. I wish that I were more artsy. But I really only can do what I do. I do look at tutorials and sometimes use templates as places to begin. And I also realize that there are people at all different places in their scrapping...and hopefully I can inspire some beginners who are just starting their journey!

Your designs aren't simple! I just went in your gallery and you have shading, shadowing, blending, and cute elements!

I need to avail myself more of tutorials. Thank you for the reminder.

pachimac

CHEERY O
For me, I don't have one style. I love art journaling but sometimes I want to do something more traditional. I just work on the page until I feel good about the page. I don't often have a "yes!" moment but I can achieve a page I am happy with and I go for it. If I achieve what I feel is awesome, then all the better.

I started out clean and simple, graphic pages. Then I went to overly large and overly shadowed vintage. Then I got on a template kick...then realistic pages, and this past year art journaling. Now if I try to do clean and simple, I muddy it up too much! LOL

pachimac

CHEERY O
See, fantasy is SUPER hard for me! I have tried a few and they are very amateurish.

pachimac

CHEERY O
Love this thread — and the “bi-scraptual” and “poly-scraptual” has me chuckling — although my spell check is shooting daggers! Lol!

You are absolutely not alone and designers go thru the same stuff. I’ve been struggling with that a LOT lately. That why some of my collections are very art journal-y and others more artsy. I adore pages with lots of white space but on the other hand swoon over pages with tons of elements and marvel at pages with amazing blending.

I love working with teams with such diverse styles for exactly that reason, but my head is in the same space as yours — trying to figure out what lane I’m in without causing a head on collision! Lol.

I am glad to know I'm not alone. One thing I have always wanted to do is to keep fresh and keep growing as a scrapper. I make myself goals every year of some kind of page or technique to master. I guess it just means that I have to find a technique that intrigues me and go for it!

pachimac

CHEERY O
While I am almost always a single-photo scrapper, I do try to mix up styles. Even without the responsibilities of being on a CT, I think being able to present a variety of styles can be a good thing. Since we have such a diverse array of designer styles here I try to do a little bit of everything technique-wise. Having said that, like Olga commented, some styles of products I just have trouble working with, even if they are gorgeous. I don't care for templates so scraplifting is usually my solution.
That's one of my things - I have noticed that there are many styles and designers here and I don't want to stay in a rut of picking the same type of kits to work with, but sometimes I can't make my mind make a page with some of the designs. It's not that they're bad - it's that I am unfamiliar with the style. Maybe that's my answer - I just need to familiarize myself with different styles.

pachimac

CHEERY O
I struggle when I can't do artsy or art journal-y pages (like for specific challenges). I recently just deleted and started over at least 3 times on the same page. Finally got things the way I wanted them. I don't do that very often, but sometimes it just works. Usually, if I just play around with the page long enough, it falls into place. Sometimes, it's more difficult than other times.

If I really get stuck, I just go on to something else.
That's like my page of Mike, Melissa, and me at her first birthday that I showed you. I still haven't finished it yet because I can't figure out what I want to do with it!

timounette

CHEERY O
If your style is simple... mine is minimalist.
Sometime I try to use elements, to use cluser, but at end I delete everything.
I am a clean style addict.

faerywings

The Loopy-O
CHEERY O
I'm going to start using "poly-scraptual" cause I don't stick with one style either and I love that term.
I was wondering if pan-scraptual is a better fit but then I think about Sandrine and her clean/minimal style and I know that is one that I simply cannot seem to do! :p

scribler

The O is my hOme.
CHEERY O
I was wondering if pan-scraptual is a better fit but then I think about Sandrine and her clean/minimal style and I know that is one that I simply cannot seem to do! :p
That style is so hard for me too. I always feel like I need to add more for the page to be finished.

Madi

Diane
CHEERY O
evolving your style is a good thing? does it not just mean you are finding your own way/style in scrapping?
and having 2 or more options and styles to scrap is a plus for me! not everything has to be in the same style.
my rare photo layouts are really different from my AJ pages.

bcgal00

CHEERY O
This is a great topic and you can see that you are not alone in this. For myself, I used to worry if I created pages that were too similar, or maybe too simple, or maybe not artsy enough or maybe I didn't achieve fantastic photo treatments like others...you can see where this is going LOL. I drove myself nuts. I finally decided that I will do whatever feels good at the moment, I am not going to worry about it. I wasn't so much in a rut about how I scrapped, it was about how others perceived me, if they thought I was good enough in all styles and I worried that I was lacking. I have not been in a rut ever since I decided to let that go. Like you, I don't enjoy and don't feel comfortable with fantasy pages, so I don't do them. I like AJ but am not a free thinker like some of the others and have become happy with my style of AJ-ish that is more traditional. Now I feel comfortable in whatever style I choose, some days more minimalist, some days I filll up a page, some days I get more artsy...but I don't stress over it, I create what gives me satisfaction.

One thing I like to do is occasionally create off-site where I am not a CT and can mix and match many products, new and old, and just have fun. There is something so free-ing about scrapping for myself, not worry about how much or little products I mixed and it's fun to dive into my old stash and pull some stuff out.

pachimac

CHEERY O
evolving your style is a good thing? does it not just mean you are finding your own way/style in scrapping?
and having 2 or more options and styles to scrap is a plus for me! not everything has to be in the same style.
my rare photo layouts are really different from my AJ pages.

Oh, I'm not seeing it as a bad thing! I'm just stuck in the moment of change and that is an uncomfortable spot because I get choice paralysis - should I or should I not blend, use that element, make my photo big or small, do AJ, get messy or be clean and simple...

pachimac

CHEERY O
This is a great topic and you can see that you are not alone in this. For myself, I used to worry if I created pages that were too similar, or maybe too simple, or maybe not artsy enough or maybe I didn't achieve fantastic photo treatments like others...you can see where this is going LOL. I drove myself nuts. I finally decided that I will do whatever feels good at the moment, I am not going to worry about it. I wasn't so much in a rut about how I scrapped, it was about how others perceived me, if they thought I was good enough in all styles and I worried that I was lacking. I have not been in a rut ever since I decided to let that go. Like you, I don't enjoy and don't feel comfortable with fantasy pages, so I don't do them. I like AJ but am not a free thinker like some of the others and have become happy with my style of AJ-ish that is more traditional. Now I feel comfortable in whatever style I choose, some days more minimalist, some days I filll up a page, some days I get more artsy...but I don't stress over it, I create what gives me satisfaction.

One thing I like to do is occasionally create off-site where I am not a CT and can mix and match many products, new and old, and just have fun. There is something so free-ing about scrapping for myself, not worry about how much or little products I mixed and it's fun to dive into my old stash and pull some stuff out.

Thank you for. helping me think this through. What you said is very much like myself! I DO wonder at times if I'm artsy enough for X people or traditional enough for Y people, or too embellishy for others. I thought I had let that go way down the road, but I'm suspecting that the inner critic is coming out again and she must be shushed!!

I should just dive into my gigs of kits that are just sitting - waiting to be used - and not worry about anything but having fun!

bcgal00

CHEERY O
Thank you for. helping me think this through. What you said is very much like myself! I DO wonder at times if I'm artsy enough for X people or traditional enough for Y people, or too embellishy for others. I thought I had let that go way down the road, but I'm suspecting that the inner critic is coming out again and she must be shushed!!

I should just dive into my gigs of kits that are just sitting - waiting to be used - and not worry about anything but having fun!
Yep, let it go. It really gives you a sense of freedom to stop caring about if you fit into a mold, My perspective on life in general has changed since losing two family members within the last year or so. Things that used to seem so important and took up a lot of "head space" no longer seem to matter much. You do you I'll do me...as the saying goes.

pachimac

CHEERY O
Yep, let it go. It really gives you a sense of freedom to stop caring about if you fit into a mold, My perspective on life in general has changed since losing two family members within the last year or so. Things that used to seem so important and took up a lot of "head space" no longer seem to matter much. You do you I'll do me...as the saying goes.
Such sage advice. a few years ago, I was right there with not letting such things get to me. I had suffered a lot of loss and turmoil and I realized the ONLY things that mattered in the end was my relationship with God, my husband, and my Child. They were the only people whose opinion should really matter. With the way the world has been with Covid, etc...I've let worries slip in again. Thank you for the reminder!