Oscraps

I Despise What Apple Has Done to iPhoto!

pachimac

I solemnly swear I am up to no good!
CHEERY O
Does anyone have an alternative program? I used iPhoto to import from my camera and keep my photos in chronological order - dated by month, day, and year. Now?? When you open up the main library to see the actual photos, they have changed the naming and filing system. It just throws randomly numbered photos in folders no longer labeled by group, day imported, or day/month/year order. It's insane.

Instead of orderly like this:
Screen Shot 2022-08-24 at 10.29.36 AM.png
it is now this:
Screen Shot 2022-08-24 at 10.30.06 AM.png

I need a program that will import photos, name them normally, and file them in date order. Anyone know of a program like this?

DesignsByCRK

I save all mine to the cloud. Then when I want something I go to the cloud to download them - they are all in chronological order in the cloud.

Vicki Robinson

Designer + Brush Queen + Mac Guru
Designer
I also use the iCloud, but before it was so seamless, I used this app - it was very easy Here’s a picture from the App Store, but if you can’t find it, message me, since we can’t post external links in the forum. It’s been a long time, so I don’t remember how it names the photos — I think it uses whatever name is assigned by whatever camera is used. But it’s worth a try.

I'm curious as to the actual steps you use to import ... I just tried attaching my phone to my Mac and went to the Import dialog box — it doesn't let me select specific photos, just all of them. And it looks as if its just going to move them into the cloud (they are already there), so does it also put them on my hard drive?

21472007-75EA-47FA-B645-FBBAD5E3AB15.png

pachimac

CHEERY O
Google Photos. (Although, I'm not sure it put's them in individual folders.)
I checked them out and there is a 15gb limit before I have to pay. I take a lot of photos so that will be gone in a flash.

pachimac

CHEERY O
I save all mine to the cloud. Then when I want something I go to the cloud to download them - they are all in chronological order in the cloud.
Ugh…and they name them like img1234 and not jd gjskb3845$7dbdjugn.HEIC. ??

i have been avoiding the cloud, but maybe I need to use it.

DesignsByCRK

I love the cloud - i've lost everything before, but now with the cloud if something happens to my phone, all of my photos, contacts, emails and text messages are safe

Jam-on-toast

CHEERY O
I am Apple all the way, but I use Google Photos - AND I back my photos up to an external hard drive where I sort them by year-month-occasion (if needed, eg home/school/seaside etc) which makes it super easy to scrap.

True, my Google photos days started back when they had free unlimited storage - hence not iCloud which offered and still offers only 5GB of free storage - and now I'm approaching my 15GB limit (only photos uploaded after a certain date count towards the newly introduced limit so I have close to 300 GB of free storage), but I LOVE the automatic backup, and their search function is perfect - I can search my photos by face or date or place or even theme like boats, BBQ, guitar etc... which is super handy when looking for a photo to scrap. And yes, photos can be put into albums, shared with friends etc...