Oscraps

How do you organize your scrapping

LSlycord

Ok...I have been back to digital scrapping for a little over a month and I know that I need to get myself organized. It's been a few years (ok...more than a few) since I scrapped. I used to back up all kits on external hard drives. But now, the cloud is my friend. But it still isn't going to work if I don't have a good system.

So tell me how you do it. Do you tag things...or do you keep kits together? Help me out. Give me your tried and true hints!

marijke

I love the O!
CHEERY O
Two weeks ago I had a crash of one of my two EHD with all my scrap material. The disk was only new from July 2020 - was still under warranty - but I did lose everything that was on it ... luckily I had a second disk ... I immediately created a new disk as Backup and an annual subscription to Backblaze to keep everything in the cloud as well.
I keep my scrap material in a folder per shop and per designer - I don't use tags ...
I'm using the search function in Bridge ...

BrightEyes

Kay
CHEERY O
I have mine in a folder named #1 New kits and the kits in it labeled by Designer Name - Kit name. I use Designer name as most designers sell at more than 1 store. Yes, I keep my kits together as I do a lot of CT work and mainly use just 1 kit per LO. I back them up to an ExHD. I don't use the cloud but I also store them on DVDs. Once I copy them onto DVD I move them them into #1DigitalScrapping folder. I don't tag them as I didn't tag them when I began and I have too many to go back and tag them now.

felis

Same as Kay, but the DVDs start to break one by one and I really hate this!
It's an ExHD with zipped files for back up, and then the unzipped folder on DVD as I too often accidentally deleted some element if they are on ExHD only.
I need them unzipped as I love to combine kits.

LSlycord

Two weeks ago I had a crash of one of my two EHD with all my scrap material. The disk was only new from July 2020 - was still under warranty - but I did lose everything that was on it ... luckily I had a second disk ... I immediately created a new disk as Backup and an annual subscription to Backblaze to keep everything in the cloud as well.
I keep my scrap material in a folder per shop and per designer - I don't use tags ...
I'm using the search function in Bridge ...
I haven’t lost anything for years. But it does make me just sick to think of it. im not familiar with Bridge...I need to go look at it.

LSlycord

I have mine in a folder named #1 New kits and the kits in it labeled by Designer Name - Kit name. I use Designer name as most designers sell at more than 1 store. Yes, I keep my kits together as I do a lot of CT work and mainly use just 1 kit per LO. I back them up to an ExHD. I don't use the cloud but I also store them on DVDs. Once I copy them onto DVD I move them them into #1DigitalScrapping folder. I don't tag them as I didn't tag them when I began and I have too many to go back and tag them now.
The good news about starting again is that I can have fresh start. I just need to figure out what that means. Lol

LSlycord

Same as Kay, but the DVDs start to break one by one and I really hate this!
It's an ExHD with zipped files for back up, and then the unzipped folder on DVD as I too often accidentally deleted some element if they are on ExHD only.
I need them unzipped as I love to combine kits.
I like that you have them zipped and unzipped.

zanthia

CHEERY O
I use backblaze to back up everything

my method is pretty simple

create a folder for each designer i do ct work and for each store. within each store list designers and also category for store collabs . if a designer is at a store i ct for, it still listed as designer so access is easier

I do not tag nor break kits up. would be nice to tag kit previews but even that would be a ton of work.

Betty Jo

♥ Lovin' the O ♥
I only do CT for one store, so it's pretty easy. Products are stored in an Oscraps folder by designer name. I don't normally store the zip files, but after reading here, I'm thinking that might be a good idea going forward. I save to ExHD. I haven't been using tags, but will also look into that.

One thing I do when I download a new product, that might be helpful to someone else. Immediately after downloading and opening the zips, I create a word document with the exact title of the product, as it is in the store, the designer's name and the link to the product. Then I store the word document in the file with the downloaded product. This saves me tremendous time when I'm posting to the gallery. I don't have to stop and look the product up in the store to get the info. I have it right in the product folder.

When I'm working on a layout with several different products of one designer, or different products from several designers, I open a new word document and as I use a product I add the info to the new word document, from my saved word document already in the product folder per the previous paragraph. By the time I'm finished with the layout, I have all the products, designers, and store links used listed. Again, saves so much time from hunting down the products in the store. Hope that made a lick of sense! :)

clindoeil

Marie-Claire
d
I only do CT for one store, so it's pretty easy. Products are stored in an Oscraps folder by designer name. I don't normally store the zip files, but after reading here, I'm thinking that might be a good idea going forward. I save to ExHD. I haven't been using tags, but will also look into that.

One thing I do when I download a new product, that might be helpful to someone else. Immediately after downloading and opening the zips, I create a word document with the exact title of the product, as it is in the store, the designer's name and the link to the product. Then I store the word document in the file with the downloaded product. This saves me tremendous time when I'm posting to the gallery. I don't have to stop and look the product up in the store to get the info. I have it right in the product folder.

When I'm working on a layout with several different products of one designer, or different products from several designers, I open a new word document and as I use a product I add the info to the new word document, from my saved word document already in the product folder per the previous paragraph.
By the time I'm finished with the layout, I have all the products, designers, and store links used listed. Again, saves so much time from hunting down the products in the store. Hope that made a lick of sense! :)
Oh ! ! ! @Betty Jo This seams to be a great TIP ! this needs always so much time to grab the product in the store and the Link !
I will try to implement this workaround right now !
Thank you for the TIP ! o_O ;)

faerywings

The Loopy-O
CHEERY O
I agree, that is a fantastic tip! Thanks so much, I always end up having to search through the store and hope for the best when I upload a LO :)

faerywings

The Loopy-O
CHEERY O
For organizing, I have used ACDSee Photo Manager for a decade, maybe more? I think I have PM 2009 on my computer somewhere and now I am using PM 2020. I have a
Main Folder:
Scrapbooking
Subs:​
To Be Tagged (everything gets downloaded here)​
Scrap Pages( for jpgs)​
Scrap LOs (psds/ WIPs)​
Oscraps (subfolder for each designer)​
Old Oscraps (retired)​
Additional folders for misc items​
Alphas​
Backgrounds​
Non O kits​
Brushes​
Actions​
Styles​
Fonts (many subfolders for types of font: Bold, Billboard, Script, Brush Script, Grungy, Holiday, Media and Movies, Kid Print etc etc etc)​
Since I have sooo many years invested in ACDSee tagging and I am not sure if I could find anything otherwise I am happy to stick with it even if it does take a lot of work. I think I still have last year's Birthday collab in the To Be Tagged Folder waiting to be finished. Wjhoops​

LSlycord

I use backblaze to back up everything

my method is pretty simple

create a folder for each designer i do ct work and for each store. within each store list designers and also category for store collabs . if a designer is at a store i ct for, it still listed as designer so access is easier

I do not tag nor break kits up. would be nice to tag kit previews but even that would be a ton of work.
Thanks for your response. I like the idea of a category for store collabs.

LSlycord

When I'm working on a layout with several different products of one designer, or different products from several designers, I open a new word document and as I use a product I add the info to the new word document, from my saved word document already in the product folder per the previous paragraph. By the time I'm finished with the layout, I have all the products, designers, and store links used listed. Again, saves so much time from hunting down the products in the store. Hope that made a lick of sense! :)I
It not only makes sense, I think it is something that would help me a great deal. I'm going to try this. Thanks for sharing.

LSlycord

For organizing, I have used ACDSee Photo Manager for a decade, maybe more? I think I have PM 2009 on my computer somewhere and now I am using PM 2020. I have a
Main Folder:
Scrapbooking
Subs:​
To Be Tagged (everything gets downloaded here)​
Scrap Pages( for jpgs)​
Scrap LOs (psds/ WIPs)​
Oscraps (subfolder for each designer)​
Old Oscraps (retired)​
Additional folders for misc items​
Alphas​
Backgrounds​
Non O kits​
Brushes​
Actions​
Styles​
Fonts (many subfolders for types of font: Bold, Billboard, Script, Brush Script, Grungy, Holiday, Media and Movies, Kid Print etc etc etc)​
Since I have sooo many years invested in ACDSee tagging and I am not sure if I could find anything otherwise I am happy to stick with it even if it does take a lot of work. I think I still have last year's Birthday collab in the To Be Tagged Folder waiting to be finished. Wjhoops​
Love this. I used ACDSee at one point. But I finally got rid of all of my old kits...and lots of old layouts too. Now, I'm regretting that a bit. Thank you for the detailed information.

Kythe

CHEERY O
I keep kits in folders by Store, date downloaded, designer, kit name. Everything is backed up every 3 months on to a hard drive as well as a USB. Keeping backups in 2 places is a safety protocol hubby insists on.

I keep a separate file for every kit within a designer's folder and one specifically for the Previews where I add the designers' TOU. I have a folder for every designer from Oscraps, Mini O's, Collaborations, 52 Inspirations, Alphas and masks. That makes it much easier to quickly scan for just the right kit to use. The folders are in Alphabetical order.

Within each designer folder is a word document containing the store info for the designer, I have a list of kits by year/date downloaded, title of the kit and store links. (If the designer has kits from various stores, I have a separate word doc for that info but only if the kit is not at Oscraps.) example:
2021-02 Simplette Designs: Ma Declaration https://www.oscraps.com/shop/Ma-Declaration-full-kit-by-Simplette.html

The other thing I do for efficiency, is to make a separate folder for scrap tools like masks,Alphas, brushes etc. I always start with the date. I just add the date, designer,name of the kit and tuck the preview inside. I have all designers in this each file.Then I can pop over to my designer file and locate it quickly.
example: 20-05 florju_Carnet De Voyage_Mask

That way I can scan the previews and know exactly where to find the file I want by scanning the date within the designer's folder. I do it that way because I find that if I load too many things in PSE it starts to run slowly.

Last edited:

LSlycord

I keep kits in folders by Store, date downloaded, designer, kit name. Everything is backed up every 3 months on to a hard drive as well as a USB. Keeping backups in 2 places is a safety protocol hubby insists on.

I keep a separate file for every kit within a designer's folder and one specifically for the Previews where I add the designers' TOU. I have a folder for every designer from Oscraps, Mini O's, Collaborations, 52 Inspirations, Alphas and masks. That makes it much easier to quickly scan for just the right kit to use. The folders are in Alphabetical order.

Within each designer folder is a word document containing the store info for the designer, I have a list of kits by year/date downloaded, title of the kit and store links. (If the designer has kits from various stores, I have a separate word doc for that info but only if the kit is not at Oscraps.) example:
2021-02 Simplette Designs: Ma Declaration https://www.oscraps.com/shop/Ma-Declaration-full-kit-by-Simplette.html

The other thing I do for efficiency, is to make a separate folder for scrap tools like masks,Alphas, brushes etc. I always start with the date. I just add the date, designer,name of the kit and tuck the preview inside. I have all designers in this each file.Then I can pop over to my designer file and locate it quickly.
example: 20-05 florju_Carnet De Voyage_Mask

That way I can scan the previews and know exactly where to find the file I want by scanning the date within the designer's folder. I do it that way because I find that if I load too many things in PSE it starts to run slowly.
Wow! Thanks for all of the details! I need to step up my game!

faerywings

The Loopy-O
CHEERY O

When I'm working on a layout with several different products of one designer, or different products from several designers, I open a new word document and as I use a product I add the info to the new word document, from my saved word document already in the product folder per the previous paragraph. By the time I'm finished with the layout, I have all the products, designers, and store links used listed. Again, saves so much time from hunting down the products in the store. Hope that made a lick of sense! :)
I finally used this trick and it is fantastic-
I have one other small edition to it. since I don't have Word. I copied the links as both Plain Text and BB Code using the Copy Link and Location Copier Extension in Firefox and pasted them into a Google Doc. Now I have it as a Google Doc that I can access anytime. Plus you can download it in a bunch of different file types, pdf, txt, whatever program works for you.

Thank you again, Betty Jo!!!

Betty Jo

♥ Lovin' the O ♥
I finally used this trick and it is fantastic-
I have one other small edition to it. since I don't have Word. I copied the links as both Plain Text and BB Code using the Copy Link and Location Copier Extension in Firefox and pasted them into a Google Doc. Now I have it as a Google Doc that I can access anytime. Plus you can download it in a bunch of different file types, pdf, txt, whatever program works for you.

Thank you again, Betty Jo!!!
Great addition, Chris.

scribler

The O is my hOme.
CHEERY O
I've been trying to decide how to organize my supplies when I switched from Mac to Windows back in November. I had a great system on the Mac using the tag feature built in to MacOS. Windows doesn't offer that feature and I really miss making use of the tags.

LSlycord

I've been trying to decide how to organize my supplies when I switched from Mac to Windows back in November. I had a great system on the Mac using the tag feature built in to MacOS. Windows doesn't offer that feature and I really miss making use of the tags.
I hope that you find something that works well for you. It really is a bit stressful when making a switch!

Danesa

Danesa
I have a folder for "Oscraps" and I keep them filed by designer name, in alphabetic order. When I download them, I make a folder in Evernote, with date/kit name/designer/store link and copy of my layout and where its posted.