Oscraps

How do you create a Cast Shadow in PS Elements?

BrightEyes

Kay
CHEERY O
Does anyone know how to create a cast shadow in Elements 2019 or 2020 (not in PhotoShop)??? I would like to move the drop shadow onto a separate layer from the png image so I can create a cast shadow. All the instructions I have been able to locate are for PhotoShop.
Any help would be appreciated.

Vicki Robinson

Designer + Brush Queen + Mac Guru
Designer
Kay - add a drop shadow using the Effects panel and while the panel is still open, click on the shadow in the document window and drag it completely away from the element - as far away as you can without going off the document screen. Click ok and then simplify that layer. Select the shadow using one of the selection tools - usually the rectangular marquee - then, from the top Menu, choose Layer, New Layer via Cut. That will leave you with the element on one layer and the shadow on another — so you can manipulate it as you wish.

Does that help? I can do a video if anyone would like it.

Vicki Robinson

Designer
Alternatively, you could duplicate the element, fill the duplicate with the color you want your shadow to be - a dark gray - and then add a Blur of maybe 7-8 and lower the opacity to what you want. Then you can manipulate it into a cast shadow.

tanteva

all i need is Oscraps, cOffee, chOcOlate & tOfu
Well ... I have PSE 11, but this is what I do. Duplicate, color the duplicate with a dark grey & add Gaussian blur, about 10-20 pixels, depending on how big the element is. You have to try and see what you prefer. Then I move the shadow behind the element, nudge it a bit up & right (or whatever angle I want the shadow I want).

If it's a photo, I use Filter - Distort - Liquify, and pull the top & bottom side a bit down. Twist & turn til I'm happy.

If it's an item or a person, I add a new layer on top of it. Uses the brush, and the same dark grey, and paint a line at the bottom of the layer I want shadowed. Add the Gaussian blur again, and move the layer to the back. This gives a darker shadow, just where the item meets the ground.

Play with blending modes (I like Multiply for shadows) and you probably need to lower the opacity to get a good look as well.

Here you can see the extra added shadow layer under the elephant's and giraffe's "feet" (probably called something else in English, but I'm too lazy to look that up) and under the watermelon.

Also, at times, when I do this for a person - I use Image - Transform - Skew (or Distort) to play with the shadow. Like I've done with John's shadow here:

Madi

Diane
CHEERY O
control click on the element in the layer palette
it selects the element,
create a new layer under the element and fill it will any colour you want.
then play with styles, opacity , filters etc

I love how there are always so many different ways to create a similar effect in PSE

Vicki Robinson

Designer
Just wanted to clarify for those that may not know ... there's a difference between a drop shadow and a cast shadow.
  • A drop shadow is used to imply depth and dimension and we apply those shadows all the time on elements on our pages.
  • A cast shadow is what you see when a person or object is in contact with the ground — the shadow starts from the point the object touches the ground and extends outward.
I found this example (not a great image, but a good example) of a cast shadow.

photoshop-cast-shadow-effect-final.jpg

You can't create a cast shadow by just creating a shadow — the shadow has to be on its own layer and then manipulated using "distort" or "perspective" or "skew" of the Transform handles.

Lynne Anzelc has a challenge this month using cast shadows and one of her team has a PDF demonstrating how to do it in the full version of Photoshop. The challenge for PSE users is getting the base shadow on its own layer, because Photoshop has that native functionality and PSE does not.

BrightEyes

Kay
CHEERY O
Kay - add a drop shadow using the Effects panel and while the panel is still open, click on the shadow in the document window and drag it completely away from the element - as far away as you can without going off the document screen. Click ok and then simplify that layer. Select the shadow using one of the selection tools - usually the rectangular marquee - then, from the top Menu, choose Layer, New Layer via Cut. That will leave you with the element on one layer and the shadow on another — so you can manipulate it as you wish.

Does that help? I can do a video if anyone would like it.

LOL... I was playing around with it and came up with the same idea. It would work.
Alternatively, you could duplicate the element, fill the duplicate with the color you want your shadow to be - a dark gray - and then add a Blur of maybe 7-8 and lower the opacity to what you want. Then you can manipulate it into a cast shadow.

Oh... now I like that idea even more. Thanks so much, Vicki!!!