Oscraps

Home Sleep Study

EvelynD2

CHEERY O
I need to have a sleep study done since my last one was in 2007. It was at a hotel that the hospital used for sleep studies. It really freaked me out to know that there were people watching me sleep. They are going to let me do this sleep study at my house. Have any of you done a home sleep study? I guess I am afraid I won't be able to fall asleep or I will hook up the wires wrong. Any pointers would be appreciated.

joyfulheartdesigns

Jenn :)
Designer
I have never done one, and I would be worried about being able to fall asleep, as well!! :giggle4: I would recommend looking for videos on YouTube...I am sure peeps have made videos about their experiences ;) Good luck to you when you do it!! :heartpumpred:

BrightEyes

Kay
CHEERY O
My hubby had a couple of them done. They gave him the machine to use for a home test. The results were inconclusive because it didn't stay in place during the night. He had another test done at the clinic - took him awhile to fall asleep but it showed he really did have sleep apnea. To ease your mind - at the clinic once he was hooked up to the machine - no one was coming in or looking in a window at him. There was a camera but they did not "watch" it unless the alarm signaled his breathing had stopped several times. When that happened enough and his Oxygen level was low, they came in and unhooked him from the wires and put him on Oxygen and a monitor as his level had dropped to the point he needed it.

pachimac

I solemnly swear I am up to no good!
CHEERY O
I had a sleep study done at home. It was super easy, although a bit hard to fall asleep with all the wires and stuff. There was no camera and the data just went to them via wireless.

EvelynD2

CHEERY O
My hubby had a couple of them done. They gave him the machine to use for a home test. The results were inconclusive because it didn't stay in place during the night. He had another test done at the clinic - took him awhile to fall asleep but it showed he really did have sleep apnea. To ease your mind - at the clinic once he was hooked up to the machine - no one was coming in or looking in a window at him. There was a camera but they did not "watch" it unless the alarm signaled his breathing had stopped several times. When that happened enough and his Oxygen level was low, they came in and unhooked him from the wires and put him on Oxygen and a monitor as his level had dropped to the point he needed it.
Thank you so much, Kay! I know things have probably changed since I had my first sleep study in 2007. I don't usually sleep well if I'm not in my own bed. We have stayed in nice hotels and I still could not sleep well because I wasn't in my own bed. I am praying that this test works out so I don't have to do it again!

EvelynD2

CHEERY O
I had a sleep study done at home. It was super easy, although a bit hard to fall asleep with all the wires and stuff. There was no camera and the data just went to them via wireless.
Oh! That is so great to know, Susie! I'm praying mine goes as well!

Jam-on-toast

CHEERY O
I don't know anybody who's had a sleep study done... until very recently, I hadn't even known they exist, so this thread is very informative. Thank you Evelyn!

EvelynD2

CHEERY O
I don't know anybody who's had a sleep study done... until very recently, I hadn't even known they exist, so this thread is very informative. Thank you Evelyn!
Hey, Olga! Sleep studies are done when a patient is suspected of having sleep apnea. My husband and I both have sleep apnea. I will be going on Medicare in December so I need to have my sleep study redone and scored according to Medicare standards. Apparently their standards are different.

JeanneMN

GrOwing Old is mandatOry grOwing up is OptiOnal
CHEERY O
My husband had two done at home and neither showed anything conclusive, but that didn't hear him snore, so he finally did it at the hospital in their hotel style room, thank goodness he got a cpap. Mine was done at the clinic & it was hard to fall asleep, but only watched when alarm went off, I didn't sleep a lot, but enough that it was conclusive.