Oscraps

Help Pls with Sierra

Janet1949

:wave: hi all
Its been sooooo long since Ive logged into Oscraps.... didn't have one iota mojo, plus haven't used my Mac for eons.....
Just got my iMac back from the shop, put it in for extra RAM, a spring clean and an operating update from Snow Leopard (yes, I know, soooooo outdated) to the latest Sierra, but have a massive problem already..... Its soo different to operate, I want to buy stuff in the shop, but I don't know how to save it to my external drive, Ive just downloaded a free AA mask for a trial run, it downloads it to my downloads file, when I click on it, there is no option for saving... ????? notice their are tag colours etc, is that how I have to save them now...
Also, tried to access my Digital scrapbooking stuff on my ext hard drive and my Mac doesn't see it.. OMG!! I have hundreds and hundreds of dollars worth of masks, brushes, kits etc..... Holy cow, Im freaking out... can anyone help with any of these questions please. :confused::confused:
OMGosh, just seen my avatar..... wow, that was a long time ago.... ahaha

faerywings

The Loopy-O
CHEERY O
I have no idea how to help you,no Mac in my household, but wanted to welcome you back to Oscraps. I hope that someone with Mac experience can help. Good luck!

VickiStegall

Administrator
Designer
CHEERY O
The downloads files is just like a regular folder in finder.

When it downloads it to your downloads file, does it automatically unzip it or does it stay in zip format?

If it automatically unzips it, then all you need to do is drag and drop your file from your downloads folder to your EHD folder in finder.

If it doesn't automatically unzip it, then double click the zip file and it will unzip it. Then you can just drag and drop the folder to your EHD.

As to your Mac not seeing your old EHD, I don't know how to fix that. When I plug in my EHD it automatically pops up in the sidebar of my finder window. You might take both in to the Mac store and see if they can help you. :-/

Tagging files - no, you don't have to use these. It's just if you want to sort things by tags. It's an organizing thing but not a requirement.

I hope this helps and welcome to Oscraps!

JanaO

Lynn G Team
I had this happen before if your mac doesn't see it probably your EHD has a problem you have to take to a store to check like best buy. It s good to remember that even though we have EHD we should do back up I have 2 EHD and I do constant back up with crash plan no Hard drive is save but Sierra or any iOs has to do with this this is a hardware problem probably. Good luck !

taxed4ever

Administrator Crazy about the "O"
CHEERY O
Before you head to the Store, were you able to read everything on your Hard Drive before your upgrade? If so then it might need a driver update to be compatible with your new operating system. Try going to the EHD's website and get an update on your driver.

petey111

I don't have Sierra yet. It sounds to me like Trudy and Vicki gave you good advice/tips. :) Good luck and welcome back!

Janet1949

Thank you all for your advice....
Trudy, I didn't think of it being a driver prob, I'll give that a go! It recognises my photo files I have on the EHD, but not my scrapbooking files?
Vicki, the files automatically unzip, I'll try that drag and drop when I logon...