Oscraps

HELP me.... How to use an ExHD to store/retrieve scrapping supplies and LOs??

BrightEyes

Kay
CHEERY O
I have used ExHDs to back-up files on my computer for several years. Those scrapping files are buried 7-8 folders deep in the HD due to the way the back-up is done. Is there a way to use an ExHD to directly store/retrieve scrapping supplies and LOs easily rather than doing a back-up?? I am having to move from a 2 TB older tower computer to a 1 TB slightly new tower computer. The 2TB ExHD I have been using as a back-up is completely full. I do not want to go to the cloud storage.

My plan is to get a new ExHD and use it for direct storage of all my scrapping supplies/LOs but I need to know how to easily store and access them. Does anyone know how and can explain the process to me??

I also plan on having a 2nd ExHD to use to back-up the files I keep on the computer.

scribler

The O is my hOme.
CHEERY O
I just use my EHD as if it were a hard drive on my laptop. Once I've downloaded, unzipped and named a purchase in my preferred style, using Windows Explorer, I drag and drop the folder I've just created to the proper folder on my EHD as though it were a folder I created on my laptop's hard drive. (I also drag and drop to a folder on my laptop's hard drive cause I like redundancy.)

For example I would drag and drop my "Vicki Robinson - Junque Journal 02 Collection" folder from Downloads on my laptop's hard drive to the Oscraps folder on EHD.

taxed4ever

Administrator Crazy about the "O"
CHEERY O
I do the same as Cindy @BrightEyes but i have a Mac so a bit different, but only use my EHD to store my scrapping supplies and layouts, no supplies or layouts on my computers Hard Drive. So when I need to find things to use in Photoshop I simply open the folders where I keep my supplies and browse in bridge .

bcgal00

CHEERY O
I have my digi supplies on one EHD and will start a backup on another EHD that I will copy new kits over to once a week. Because I have limited usb ports available I will only plug in the backup EHD when I do the weekly backup. I will do the same for photos on two other EHDs.

marijke

I love the O!
CHEERY O
I do the same as Trudy ... I have two copies of my scrapping supplies and two other EHD for all my photos ...
On my MacBook Pro I have a limited storage space and only one USB port ... A USB port that I use for my screen. An external hub is connected to my screen, so I can copy my files simultaneously on both EHD ...

Cherylndesigns

I'm in The Zone ~ The "O" Zone
CHEERY O
I do the same thing - I have 4 EXHD's and have them marked on the bottom as to what's on them. I use mine exactly like everybody else - just an extension of my computer. "SAVE TO" - then the EXHD.

I made little labels out of white paper and taped over them on the underneath side of my EXHD's.

BrightEyes

Kay
CHEERY O
Thanks for the information, everyone.... Just got back from doing the exchange at Best Buy of a "cloud only" ExHD to a SG 4TB ExHD... which will be delivered here to the house in a couple of days. Turns out since I am a total tech member, I have a free TT at home service call! The manager there explained that it sounds like I want to do a drag and drop to save my scrapping stuff. Have an appointment in 3 weeks to have them here to take me through all the steps to save collections/photos from the old computer and then make sure I can access it on the 'new' computer. It will make it much easier to make the switch over to DH's computer.