Oscraps

From the Mists of Time - genealogy in the gallery - January 2023

LSlycord

Here is one from me. These are my great-great grandparents. Although they are 2x great and they died before I was born, I refer to them as Grandpa Chet and Grandma Ellie because most of the stories that I heard about them were from Grandma Johnson (my maternal grandmother) and they were her grandparents and very involved in her life. Grandma Ellie was still living while my mom was growing up and she knew her quite well. So Grandma Ellie and Grandpa Chet is what they are called.

Susan - s3js

CHEERY O
Here is one from me. These are my great-great grandparents. Although they are 2x great and they died before I was born, I refer to them as Grandpa Chet and Grandma Ellie because most of the stories that I heard about them were from Grandma Johnson (my maternal grandmother) and they were her grandparents and very involved in her life. Grandma Ellie was still living while my mom was growing up and she knew her quite well. So Grandma Ellie and Grandpa Chet is what they are called.
Look at those wonderful coats and hats! I think I was born in the wrong part of the wrong century!

Susan - s3js

CHEERY O
I can't help but wonder who made that gown. Mom had christening gowns that Grandma Blanche had made for my grandmother and great uncle and a christening gown that was made for Grandma Blanche by Grandma Ellie. Their handwork was absolutely amazing. The tinies of stitches. I am sure that dress was beautiful!
I love the needlework I have from my Grandma, Aunt Pat, and my Mom. Their work is exquisite. I could never get my stitches as tiny!

LSlycord

Ok, this is the first page about Grandma Boicourt! This means so much to me to have found who she is! And not only that, I found a couple of newspaper articles that added so much personality for me!!! I love Grandma Boicourt! And, for context, she is the grandmother of that handsome man in the wedding photo of Grandpa Art and Grandma Blanche. She lived with his family for much of his life!

LSlycord

Here is the transcription of the newspaper article.
Taken from the Moline advance Moline KS

Friday May 18th 1906

Grandma Boicourt 102 Tuesday May 15th 1906. The 102nd anniversary of the birth of this remarkably preserved saint was pleasantly celebrated with her at the home of her daughter, Mrs. Carver.

As announced by the Ladies Aid Society the gathering was at the M.E. church and carriages provided by Mr. Carver and others carried the company to the Carver residence at 2:00 PM. Reverend WC Goodwin was placed in charge and conducted everything in an informal homelike way that placed all at rest and in a happy mood. Mrs. W.A. Elstun led, as large company joined heartily in singing many of the inspiring old hymns and tunes. The 91st Psalm was read and brother Burt Baker led in prayer

Grandma Boicourt was in excellent health; her thought was clear; her soul aglow.

From her chair she recited, with perfect memory a long and unique hymn that she heard sung by a circuit rider just before his sermon. The meeting was in a great log house in old Virginia in 1813 when she was but nine years old now at 102 her voice was clear, diction faultless and unction thrilling. She followed the recitation by a clear account of this sermon which was preached by the Reverend William Hacker and that, by her own Christian experience. We have procured a copy of the peculiar hymn and here give it.

The sermon was very faithful and when about half preached was interrupted by a strange noise which filled the house. Some were seized with jerks. Many crowded to the mourners bench and joined with others who knelt in their seats and cried aloud for mercy. Others contributed to the noise by shouting glory to God. Many were converted and rejoiced with joy unspeakable. Many beautiful and befitting testimonies followed Grandma Boicourt’s, one by Grandpa Webb, who is past 86 years. Mr. E.G. Dewey gave a very interesting and instructive address upon the world's progress in all lines within the lifetime of our loved centenarian

Mrs. Bessie Boicourt-Allen of Sedalia MO, daughter of Reverend James Boicourt and a granddaughter of the aged one contributed much to the enjoyment by beautiful rendering of suitable poems the last of which was crossing the bar by Tennyson. Mr. Dell and Miss Nora M Hughes of Howard were present and contributed their part.

The occasion was one of rare enjoyment-- serious rejoicing in which tears flowed freely and the ties that bind human hearts and Christian love were strengthened.

Grandma Boicourt is at the head of five generations, four of which were represented at this time. She bids fair to have a few more anniversaries. Amen so let it be. WCG

Susan - s3js

CHEERY O
@LSlycord Linda, I'm envious of your amazing collection. I have a lot of photo scans my cousins have sent me, so mine is growing, but so far no photos of either of my grandmothers as babies. I"m green!

LSlycord

@LSlycord Linda, I'm envious of your amazing collection. I have a lot of photo scans my cousins have sent me, so mine is growing, but so far no photos of either of my grandmothers as babies. I"m green!
On my maternal side, I have quite a collection and I feel so very fortunate. I really feel that I know Grandma Ellie and Grandpa Chet although they were dead long before I came along.