Oscraps

Foxeysquirrel Designs Technique Challenge for March

suruha

Welcome to March's Foxeysquirrel Challenge at O'scraps!

This month, we are going to learn, and apply, an artsy technique to a layout, using Foxeysquirrel's designs!

This is easy-peasy, so, don't freak! LOL

What we will be doing is creating a GROUP in Photoshop, then, placing layers of splatters inside the group.

(Note: I don't know if all the PS programs have 'Groups'. I hope so. If not, we can do this another way. Let me know, please.)

Among Teddi's designs in her SHOP, she has some splatter-y elements, like Splatters, Rips, Masks and more.

Any kind of ink, gesso, mask, and/or splatters, either in .PNG format or by Brush, will work.

You will also need an image to use with what we are creating. A portrait would be great, but, any image of your liking will do!

Okay! Let us begin!

In Photoshop, create a new document, usual scrapbooking size. You may do whatever kind of background you want, a simple color layer or a creation of your own design. What it should be is a background of any kind that goes with the final image we are going to create. You can just create a simple color layer for now, until you see what we are doing.

Create a new group. The 'Group' icon is at the bottom, or top, of the Layers Palette. It looks like a tiny FOLDER! Surprise!

Once the group is created, start adding layers of splatters, brushes, whatever you like, or have. If they aren't already in the group, select them all and

place them into the group. I use a different 'splatter' from foxeysquirrel on each layer, for example purposes.

You could also 'stamp' a different brush on each layer if you want to 'build' these yourself!

All titles linked:

Layer 1 - Calligraphy Swirls -

40561821981_d636f6308f.jpg

Layer 2 - Painted Splatters -

40561821801_19a5e1270c.jpg

Layer 3 - Ripped Strips -

40561930441_3566591faa.jpg

Layer 4 - Photo Masks -

40561821731_be5878eb6a.jpg

Layer 5 - Leaflets -

40561930351_3beb7d1d4d.jpg

Layer 6 - Impaired Splatters -

40561821661_c305c7d442.jpg

You get the idea. Continue adding layers until you have a dozen, or so. Use the Transform Tool to rotate and resize any of the elements in the Group. The goal is to create a 'splattery mask' out of our group! You don't want it too dense. It looks nice with some background peeking through, here and there. You can always 'Adjust' the layers after you add the image.

Once you have your group tweeked to this point, find an image of your liking. I'm using a lady character from Teddi's 'Botanicals'.

My image is a .PNG file format, but, the splatters that show through from the Group will add to it! LOL I resized and moved my image around.

This image should be place directly above the Group folder.

39666589305_88693de9d2.jpg

Here is where I am, so far -

25691175047_05af100687.jpg

Now, CLIP the image to the Group folder. Right click and select "Create Clipping Mask", or hover your mouse over the line between the image layer and the folder layer, WHILE HOLDING 'ALT' on your keyboard, until you see a downward pointing arrow. Click and you should see something like this -

25691177647_45217774c8.jpg

My layout is looking kinda strange!

40561821491_0175ea6240.jpg

Here is what my layout looks like after tweeking -

40561821351_d1df974c2c.jpg

You may also want to go into the Group folder and move, resize and/or rotate any of the 'splatter' images you like, while looking to see how this affects your image.

That layout turned into THIS layout -

39666588915_a17eb6f61c_z.jpg

I used 'Ripped Strips' mostly for my 'splatter' layers.

And, another, I did.

40561825051_2235088b57_z.jpg

When you are satisfied with the results, finish the layout and WALLAH! You are done!

39666588915_a17eb6f61c_z.jpg

Resources I used include 'Corroded Overlays', 'Messed Up', 'Asteria', 'Elegance Backgrounds', 'Botanicals', 'Fancy Words' and 'Pale Backgrounds'.

YOUR CHALLENGE, here, is to create a layout with this TECHNIQUE and post it here and in the GALLERY by the end of March! As usual, 75% Foxeysquirrel's products must be used. At the end of March, we will have a drawing for a winner to one special Foxeysquirrel Designs Shop coupon!

Have fun!

Last edited by a moderator:

suruha

Oh, yeah! Very nice! You can really 'doll' up an image with this!
Thank you so much, Felis!

suruha

Well, thank you, Lynn! That made my day!

I love your piece! You did a beautiful layout!

I find myself looking at splattery elements and trying to picture how they might affect an image, used this way. LOL I wonder if spider webs, a bunch of them, would be good.... Hmmmm....

Thank you so very much!

suruha

If you posted this in the Gallery, you can right-click over the image in the Gallery and use that link to post here. It comes in here at the original size, I believe. Just so you know. And, so we may see your pretty image better!

suruha

I'm so glad you had fun! And, you found a work-around! Yay! You created two BEAUTIFUL pages! Wow!
Thank you for playing!!

scrap-genie

Thanks for the challenge to use a group. I'd never used them before. I think I did the clipping in reverse, but got the result I wanted.

suruha

This is awesome! Looking at all the goodies in there! Great! Groups have some interesting capabilities!

You can even set a Group's blend mode to 'Normal', then, add whatever adjustment layers at the top of, and inside, the Group. The adjustments will only effect what is in the Group!

It saves having to add adjustment layers to each and every layer! LOL

Thank you so very much for playing!

suruha

Very pretty! This turned out really nice! Glad you like it! Thank you for playing!

I will be drawing a winner in two days! Woo-hoo!

suruha

Out of seven entries, the winner is Post #2, Felis! Congratulations!! A PM is coming your way!
Thanks to everyone for playing!

I shall be posting a new challenge shortly!