Oscraps

First Thanksgiving - not JUST for Americans

Susan - s3js

CHEERY O
My sons are Mayflower descendants and I have recently discovered a possible link for myself but, since I haven't proved it out, I won't share that just yet. My early roots in the US go to Jamestown in 1621. Most of the world associates the American Thanksgiving holiday with the Mayflower and the Pilgrims. But, 't isn't so. The first Harvest Feast of Thanksgiving in Plymouth Colony (now Massachusetts) was in 1621, the first day of thanksgiving in Jamestown, Virginia was 4 Dec 1619, the Spanish predated this in St Augustine, Florida in 1565. The current celebration was established by President Lincoln in 1863 and had nothing whatever to do with with the origin stories of the United States, but as a way to heal the nation torn by the strife of the Civil War. Heaven only knows those in the South had little food and little to be thankful for or any reason to celebrate a day proclaimed by President Lincoln, but if memory serves they did, indeed, have similar "celebrations." Most were simply happy they and their men away at war were, for the moment, safe in a war most of them had no voice in declaring and as often as not, did not support (I know, that's not the standard narrative, but you should read Confederate Reckoning by Stephanie McCurry. It's a hard slog in the beginning where she examines the secession vote and how many did NOT want it. Some states, in fact, voted no in referendum and the leaders overrode them! This book changed my whole perspective. Okay, off my soapbox, I won't talk politics here, but we need to look at the historical context if we do genealogy).

So, my question for you is - are there any in your family lines in any of these groups and do you have any unique Thanksgiving traditions? Have you scrapped them? Are those of you outside the US related to any in these groups. History.com isn't always accurate when it comes to their articles - they should be, but just like The History Channel they are human and sometimes biased - but there is a good short article here if you are interested in more on Thanksgiving.

In addition to our Mayflower and Jamestown roots, we had families on both sides in the Civil War (the War Between the States if you are a Southerner). Back in Lincolnshire, England, we have other ties to the Mayflower. I am collaterally connected to both Abraham Lincoln and his wife Mary Todd, as well as both George Washington (cousin) , wife Martha Dandridge (cousin and potentially aunt). That said, we have mostly done the traditional American 20th century Thanksgiving celebration. This year, since there only 3 will be home, we are going to keep one tradition and watch the Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade. We will also watch the Dallas Cowboys game, not because we are Cowboys fans per se, but because we are appreciative that for the 26th year the Cowboys will nationally kick off the Salvation Army's Red Kettle Campaign, itself in its 132nd year and critical for Salvation Army operations not only for Christmas but year 'round. The Jonas Brothers will perform at half-time this year to kick off the "Love Beyond" season. We will probably eat out this year as my heart is so tender for those absent from my table.

What about you?

EvelynD2

CHEERY O
Our church has a Thanksgiving dinner the Sunday before Thanksgiving. It's wonderful to get to fellowship with friends during the dinner. We have out kids and grands come for Thanksgiving. Before the gang arrives, my husband and I love to watch the Macy's Christmas parade. We try to get up early the next morning to go Black Friday shopping. Our oldest daughter has an Etsy shop and even made us fun "shopping themed" tee shirts!