Oscraps

Female Role Models

AZK

Queen of the Universe
CHEERY O
With International Women's Day being tomorrow, it got me thinking about women who inspire us personally. When I was getting ready to go to college (many years ago), the admissions counselor at the school told me I wasn't challenging myself enough with my chosen field of study, and he said it was because I didn't have any professional female role models.

Be that as it may, I have to say that my mother was an excellent role model for me. She couldn't understand me wanting to go to college at all, but what I did learn from her was perseverance in the face of challenge: growing up poor on a farm, being forced from her home and losing loved ones during WWII, the death of a child, moving to another continent with her small family, 20 years of widowhood, and 8 years of living with the devastating effects of a stroke.

On a less personal level, another role model for me is Eleanor Roosevelt, because this quote of hers really resonates for me: "No one can make you feel inferior without your consent."

So...let's hear about your female role models, be they someone you know personally or not!