Oscraps

February Art Journaling Challenge #2

pachimac

I solemnly swear I am up to no good!
CHEERY O
Welcome to the second Art Journal Challenge!!
I am so happy to be hosting this challenge for you and I am excited to see what you come up with.

My name is Susie, and I am blessed to be a Cheery-o here at Oscraps. I have been digital scrapbooking since about 2007-2008, and I’ve seen a lot of trends come and go. I can say that there has ALWAYS been a group of artsy people who really do make their pages like a work of art. I never understood that group because my aim of scrapbooking was simple: I wanted to chronicle our life for our daughter, who is an only child. It was inconceivable to me to scrap just for the sake of art, or God forbid, NOT have a picture or two on the page. Over time I dipped my toes into artsy scrapping and found that I loved the end result, but felt I could never do it myself. That was the wrong attitude to have and it kept me in my box for a long time. I don’t want that to happen to anyone else.

You need to know this simple fact:
THERE IS NO RIGHT OR WRONG WAY TO ART JOURNAL!!!!

The only rule is to be inspired by the topic we provide. You can scrap it in any style you wish (artsy, clean and graphic, pocket scrapping, hybrid, paper…) with any Oscraps kits that you wish. You can get deep with your journaling. You can have no journaling at all. Remember that this is for anyone who wants to be inspired by the topic!

Our friend and fellow cheeryo @Madi adds this:
We are starting over.
Resetting our minds.
Forget about everything that you think art journaling is and play along with us.
We are trying to get everyone into art journaling.
See the challenges as exercises to change your way of thinking about scrapping.
Learn something new and maybe a little more about yourself.
The journey begins here, with a fresh and open mind and literally a blank canvas.
We are exploring and hope to cover all sorts of ways to journal and that everyone can find a way to journal
that feels comfortable and fulfilling to them.

So come on in, get your favorite beverage, your comfy clothes, and your willingness to try something new, and let's have FUN!!

For this challenge, we will be using a mood board to inspire you, just like last week.

So here it is…the mood board for this challenge:
FebAJ2MoodBoard.jpg

I have provided you with images that I think will get your mind churning out ideas! You might be inspired by the textures in the pictures, the colors, the subject of the photos, or the feeling a photo or the grouping of photos brings up inside of you. It can be a single color - or you can use the entire palette. Don’t worry - again, there is no right or wrong page!!!! Art journaling is about getting your feelings down in whatever way you choose to do so.

Over time, we’ll be introducing some of the basic tools of art journaling - Gesso, paint, overlays, masks, blending, etc… Don’t worry about that now. Just know that if you stick with us, you will find your inner Digi-Artsy Muse!

Here is my page.
I was inspired by the purple color, the texture of the clouds, and the butterflies.
This one is a somewhat traditional layout with art journal components.

full

Here is a second page of mine doing traditional art journaling with gesso, paint, layers, stitches, maker marks, drawing, and word art! I was inspired by the black city scene, the pink and purple colors, the butterfly, and the roundness of the planets.

FebAJTake2.jpg

My co-host Cindy (@scribler) has made this beautiful layout to share as well!

PeaceLoveHope800.jpeg

Everyone who participates in either challenge this month will be entered into a drawing for a $5 gift certificate to Oscraps.

Cheeryo's are most welcome to play along but they won't be entered into the drawing.

A fun little addition: If you want, you can make more than one page for each challenge! You can make as many as you want, but you can only earn four entries to the drawing. Each page is an entry up to 4. After that, you won’t get any more entries, but you will have created more art pieces!!! That’s a win too!

Challenge Rules:
You have until 11:59 p.m. ET on February 28th to complete your pages for this challenge.

To qualify for the drawing, you need to use 80% Oscraps products that are currently in the store (non-Oscraps products or retired O designer products can be used whether the designer is selling elsewhere or not).

You need to credit all the products used on your page.
You cannot use a page you create for this challenge for another Oscraps challenge.

Upload your page to the Art Journal Gallery and then add your layout to the challenge thread. (Below you will find instructions on adding your page to this thread.)

Adding a linked layout from the Gallery to a thread:
1. Upload your layout to the gallery first. In your forum post click the Gallery Embed icon (little camera).
2. This will open your gallery, simply click on the layout you require, then scroll down to the bottom of the screen and click the Continue button.
3. Your linked layout is now in your post, the image will appear once you have clicked the Post Reply button.

Let's Get Scrappin'!!!!!​

Last edited:

wombat146

ONA - Administrator
CHEERY O
wooohooo!!! my fave colour, purple!!! will be back with a page later on! thanks Susie for an awesome challenge! #cheer1

pachimac

I solemnly swear I am up to no good!
CHEERY O
I needed this challenge! This really helped to clarify some of my thoughts. I was inspired by the purple colors (which I never use) and the ocean waves!

I'm so glad you played!! I commented on your beautiful page in the gallery!

Cherylndesigns

I'm in The Zone ~ The "O" Zone
CHEERY O
There was so much inspiration, Susie! I was inspired by your color palette and also did lots of layering and blending. I added in some spots of black and loved the word bits in your inspiration page, so I included some of them, as well as adding in lots of texture.

zlemon

Christy
Another fabulous challenge. Thanks for hosting, Susie! Inspired by the colors of pink, purple and black.

Used Crafty Button Designs kit Almost There and a figurine from Pixabay.com