Oscraps

Favorite vacation memory or memories?

Cherylndesigns

I'm in The Zone ~ The "O" Zone
CHEERY O
Sanibel Island, Florida. We went there for two weeks every year over the Christmas holidays. We all have such wonderful memories of our time there. Another favorite is our trip to Germany and Austria. We only went once, but it was so memorable. :heartpumpred::heartpumpred:

AZK

Queen of the Universe
CHEERY O
My favorite vacations as a child were our trips to Massachusetts to visit my aunt and uncle. From Michigan it was about a 14-hour drive, so we left very early - about 4-5 AM. I would be so excited that I wouldn't be able to sleep the night before. They lived in Lenox, which is in the western side of the state. It was rural and in the Berkshire Mountains, so completely different from our neighborhood in Detroit.

My favorite as an adult was the family trip we took to Hawaii for our 20th wedding anniversary. Again, it was so different from my usual environment that the whole thing was magical, from the climate to the culture.

BrightEyes

Kay
CHEERY O
Memory from my childhood was a gathering of my Dad's family at Uncle Arthur's ranch usually at Thanksgiving. Dad is one of 17 children - so it was always a huge crowd. The most memorable of those was the 3 years that Arthur was building the new 3 story ranch house. Many of the brothers had the skills to help with electrical, walls, plumbing, etc. The gals (sisters, wives, daughters) all pitched in with the cooking. As there was usually about 80 of us... that was a huge meal. Many would come before and stay over a day or two to work. Those of us (my family) who lived close enough would drive up Thanksgiving morning. It was always a double celebration as his wife Irma and daughter Mary had a birthday on Nov 18th and Uncle Arthur and I had a birthday on Nov 22th. So those were a bonus to the Thanksgiving get-together. The reason for the 3 years was it would depend on the cattle market as to when he could afford to continue on building.

And a favorite adult memory was when I flew to Italy to meet my hubby when the carrier was in port in Naples for 12 days. We took a couple of tours to Pisa, Florence, and stopped in Rome for a half-day. We also toured along the Amalfi Coast and Pompeii. Just as I was scheduled to fly home - 3 Mile Island in the US happened and the same day of my flight the airline controllers went on strike. I was stuck in Rome airport for 15 hours before we were able to fly to the US. Of course, I missed my connections in New York to Virginia. They chartered a bus to drive us to Norfolk. The sad part is that in one of our moves since then, all the photos from the Italy trip and most of our 2 years living in Norfolk disappeared. So all I have now are memories of my first trip out of the US.

Cherylndesigns

CHEERY O
My favorite vacations as a child were our trips to Massachusetts to visit my aunt and uncle. From Michigan it was about a 14-hour drive, so we left very early - about 4-5 AM. I would be so excited that I wouldn't be able to sleep the night before. They lived in Lenox, which is in the western side of the state. It was rural and in the Berkshire Mountains, so completely different from our neighborhood in Detroit.

My favorite as an adult was the family trip we took to Hawaii for our 20th wedding anniversary. Again, it was so different from my usual environment that the whole thing was magical, from the climate to the culture.
Those sounds like magical memories, indeed, Angie. I've never been to Hawaii, but would love to go.

Cherylndesigns

CHEERY O
Memory from my childhood was a gathering of my Dad's family at Uncle Arthur's ranch usually at Thanksgiving. Dad is one of 17 children - so it was always a huge crowd. The most memorable of those was the 3 years that Arthur was building the new 3 story ranch house. Many of the brothers had the skills to help with electrical, walls, plumbing, etc. The gals (sisters, wives, daughters) all pitched in with the cooking. As there was usually about 80 of us... that was a huge meal. Many would come before and stay over a day or two to work. Those of us (my family) who lived close enough would drive up Thanksgiving morning. It was always a double celebration as his wife Irma and daughter Mary had a birthday on Nov 18th and Uncle Arthur and I had a birthday on Nov 22th. So those were a bonus to the Thanksgiving get-together. The reason for the 3 years was it would depend on the cattle market as to when he could afford to continue on building.

And a favorite adult memory was when I flew to Italy to meet my hubby when the carrier was in port in Naples for 12 days. We took a couple of tours to Pisa, Florence, and stopped in Rome for a half-day. We also toured along the Amalfi Coast and Pompeii. Just as I was scheduled to fly home - 3 Mile Island in the US happened and the same day of my flight the airline controllers went on strike. I was stuck in Rome airport for 15 hours before we were able to fly to the US. Of course, I missed my connections in New York to Virginia. They chartered a bus to drive us to Norfolk. The sad part is that in one of our moves since then, all the photos from the Italy trip and most of our 2 years living in Norfolk disappeared. So all I have now are memories of my first trip out of the US.
Oh Kay, that's so sad that you lost all of those pictures, but what a wonderful trip that must have been. Gatherings at uncle's ranch sounds like so much fun to do, too. I can't even imagine how big those meals must have been.

LSlycord

What a great question @Cherylndesigns. And I love the way that @AZK split this up into childhood and adult.

My favorite vacation as a child was a trip to the Black Hills and Yellowstone. It was our first family vacation. We went with my uncle, aunt and cousin. It was the summer before I turned 10. We saw so much wildlife on that trip. We camped on that trip. It was probably the trip that sparked my love for traveling.

My favorite adult trip was with the kids to Maui. It was beautiful. We got to our condo late at night so we couldn't really see the view. When we woke up and stepped on to the balcony, we saw humpback whales out in the distance. What a great trip that was...so good that we went back the following two years.

Thanks for bringing these memories to the surface to start my Friday!