Oscraps

Do you use tags to organize your supplies? If so, what system?

scribler

The O is my hOme.
CHEERY O
I loved the tagging system in macOS X. I used it on all my supplies and it was indispensable. Windows does not have anything like it and it has really hampered my digiscrapping. Anything I look at for Windows seems so much more time consuming. I miss being able to click on a tag to see all my Oscraps supplies or all my gesso or all my flowers. So if y'all have any method for tracking supplies what is it?

Cherylndesigns

I'm in The Zone ~ The "O" Zone
CHEERY O
I need to start using tagging. Right now, I organize my stash, alphabetically, by Store>Designer>Filename. I'll be watching this, as I'm trying to get better organized. I have so much and it's getting hard to find things, as quickly as I'd like.

tanteva

all i need is Oscraps, cOffee, chOcOlate & tOfu
Oh, Organized? Me ... Nah! :D

I have digi supplies in 2 major files: 1 for PU and 1 for CU (did dabble with designing for a while). Then I have them sorted in sub-files - which probably make no sense at all for others. Most are sorted by category, like kits, templates, buttons, alphas and so on. Then there are subfiles under those, like kits in themes, templates by number of photos, and so on.

Then I have files for specific stores - 2 where I'm active. My Oscraps file then have sub files by designers.

No, I don't find stuff myself in this chaos. LOL

veer

I love the "O"
CHEERY O
No, I do make a lot of folders but I would like to know how others do it.
I sort everything according to designer, and then I have submaps with eg masks, clusters, elements, papers

faerywings

The Loopy-O
CHEERY O
I tag in ACDSee - I started using it 10 years ago, maybe more? (Disclaimer: I worked for them for a year or so as an evangelist).
Eeeew. I just took a peek at my old blog and I worked for them in 2008-10 so I had been using it before then. Bu yikes- my "blog" is a mess of old scrap stuff. Ha!

Once I started with it, there wasn't a way to do it differently, I guess so here I am. I have categories for the main things- Paper/Fasteners/Paint/Alphas and so on. Then I have sub-categories for most of them. For ex. Fasteners has brads/paper clips/staples/pins/etc
I will tag by category, then color, and if applicable Subject and/or Style.

Madi

Diane
CHEERY O
I don't tag.
I just use windows explorer to search for stuff. but it only works if elements are named, so I can search for frame or flower.
It works good enough with most designers, oscraps collabs etc.

AZK

Queen of the Universe
CHEERY O
I don't tag.
I just use windows explorer to search for stuff. but it only works if elements are named, so I can search for frame or flower.
It works good enough with most designers, oscraps collabs etc.
This is exactly how I do it too. Once upon a time, I meant to go through and see if the Organizer in PSE would be useful, but never actually tried it out.

marijke

I love the O!
CHEERY O
I don't have windows ... I don't tag but I use the finder of Adobe Bridge but it only works if elements are named ...

Kythe

CHEERY O
I tend to work with one kit at a time for CT work so currently I have folders for each designer at Oscraps.
I did use the PSE tags but found too much in there slowed the program. I took everything out except photo masks a textures and made separate folders for them. I also keep a word doc with each designer kit and link to the store and the date I got it. That way I am not searching for links.. I keep a separate folder with the designers’ previews for a quick search.

scribler

The O is my hOme.
CHEERY O
I think Windows is trying to annoy me on a constant basis. @Kythe had given me an idea with folder of previews. I was going to make it a folder of shortcuts. Then I found out you can't use Windows tags (which aren't as good as Mac tags anyway) with shortcuts. *sigh*

BrightEyes

Kay
CHEERY O
I never did use tags... and have way too many kits/collections. Like Kythe, found too many tags/etc slowed things down. I have mine arranged in folders by Design Name/Kit name. I don't put them under store name as many of the designers sell at more than one place. I sometimes add store Initials to the end of the folder name just so I know where I got it. Note: I do add "retired" to the end of folder names once the kit is retired. That makes it easier to know which ones can be copied onto DVDs and removed from the computer.
I do use the windows search if I am looking for a element, template, mask, action.... as long as the designer has labeled them.

scribler

The O is my hOme.
CHEERY O
I may have found a solution using Evernote. (I already use it for my layout credits.) If it works out for a couple of weeks, I will come back and share my plan.