Oscraps

Do You Have Any Celebrities on Your Tree?

Susan - s3js

CHEERY O
I think everyone does, but not everyone knows who they are. I recently did a LO on my cousin Tom Greenwade who was the Basball scout for the Brooklyn Dodgers, then for the Yankees. I didn't know he was my cousin when Mickey Mantle played in the baseball park 2 blocks from my house in Santa Ana, California. We would listen to the game on the radio outside the fence and cheer along with the crowd. It's a great memory!

agilchrest

One of my family's claims to fame. My 2X great-grandmother was Elizabeth Jane Douras. The family story was that we were related to Marion Davies the famous silent movie star who had an affair with William Randolph Hearst. Davies was Marion's stage name her birth name was Marion Douras. I was highly skeptical at first. Then I met another branch of the Douras' and they had the same story. I have been trying to disprove or prove this connection for the last 25 years. I have found a connection between Marion's Douras line and mine. They both originate from the same local in Ireland.

tanteva

all i need is Oscraps, cOffee, chOcOlate & tOfu
Buzz Aldrin!

I have many pastors/priests that are important in Swedish history

That's especially true when it comes to Johannes Rudbeckius. Huge impact on Swedish history

Translations are available in the gallery. I'm on the tablet & cutting/pasting is %€=# on it,

pachimac

I solemnly swear I am up to no good!
CHEERY O
Yes, but I can't remember her name. Our ancestor from the 1500's was the same as this actress. He was a pastor of a small church in England and was kicked out by King Henry VIII because he preached against the Anglican Church that the king started because he wanted a second divorce. He was sent to the colonies with his congregation, his wife, and his 20+ children.

I was kinda offended when I watched the show about it. This actress was an activist and did not like America, and was NOT happy to know that she was part of the founding of America - and was hoping she was 100% European. She actually said that! Anyway...that's our one celebrity. LOL

scrap-genie

Those of us in the U.S. with early New England ancestors are usually related to a ton of other Americans including many famous/infamous ones. Also many U.S. presidents, most recently Barack Obama (though I've forgotten the long lines that link us). The most famous of my ancestors was a fifth great grandmother, "Mad" Anne Bailey, who was a heroine of post-Revolutionary fighting around what is today Charleston, WV. Looks like the only scrapped page here about her is this one:

Cherylndesigns

I'm in The Zone ~ The "O" Zone
CHEERY O
I can't think of any celebrities - however, my great uncle lived right next door to the James Whitcomb Riley Home in Greenfield, Indiana. Back in "the old days", they didn't charge people to go through it and we always went over there and played whenever we went to visit Uncle Claude. They even used to let us come inside the house and walk around.

Amandajk

None that we know of...would be interesting to research the Norwegian roots and our Scottish roots to see what pops up. Haven't gotten that far yet! We are D.A.R.'s so maybe something there as well. lol!

tanteva

None that we know of...would be interesting to research the Norwegian roots and our Scottish roots to see what pops up. Haven't gotten that far yet! We are D.A.R.'s so maybe something there as well. lol!
Norwegian roots! Wonder what the odds are that we're related? My dad had one grandfather and one great grandfather from Norway.

Susan - s3js

CHEERY O
One of my family's claims to fame. My 2X great-grandmother was Elizabeth Jane Douras. The family story was that we were related to Marion Davies the famous silent movie star who had an affair with William Randolph Hearst. Davies was Marion's stage name her birth name was Marion Douras. I was highly skeptical at first. Then I met another branch of the Douras' and they had the same story. I have been trying to disprove or prove this connection for the last 25 years. I have found a connection between Marion's Douras line and mine. They both originate from the same local in Ireland.
What a neat story. I hope you can solidify that link. You know, I love old silent movies. Like the Shakespearean stage, they make your brain imagine more of the action and surroundings.

Susan - s3js

CHEERY O
Buzz Aldrin!

I have many pastors/priests that are important in Swedish history

That's especially true when it comes to Johannes Rudbeckius. Huge impact on Swedish history

Translations are available in the gallery. I'm on the tablet & cutting/pasting is %€=# on it,
Eva, you have the most enthralling family history! I love your LOs and how much of their stories you capture on them.

Susan - s3js

CHEERY O
Yes, but I can't remember her name. Our ancestor from the 1500's was the same as this actress. He was a pastor of a small church in England and was kicked out by King Henry VIII because he preached against the Anglican Church that the king started because he wanted a second divorce. He was sent to the colonies with his congregation, his wife, and his 20+ children.

I was kinda offended when I watched the show about it. This actress was an activist and did not like America, and was NOT happy to know that she was part of the founding of America - and was hoping she was 100% European. She actually said that! Anyway...that's our one celebrity. LOL
Oh, fantastic story. Who was your ancestor?

Susan - s3js

CHEERY O
Those of us in the U.S. with early New England ancestors are usually related to a ton of other Americans including many famous/infamous ones. Also many U.S. presidents, most recently Barack Obama (though I've forgotten the long lines that link us). The most famous of my ancestors was a fifth great grandmother, "Mad" Anne Bailey, who was a heroine of post-Revolutionary fighting around what is today Charleston, WV. Looks like the only scrapped page here about her is this one:
How true that is! My sons are Mayflower descendants through John Alden and Priscilla Mullins and they have tons of famous kin - Marilyn Monroe, Orson Welles, and Martha Graham to name a few. I have an unproven Mayflower link, so I don't claim any yet.

Where in New England?

Susan - s3js

CHEERY O
I can't think of any celebrities - however, my great uncle lived right next door to the James Whitcomb Riley Home in Greenfield, Indiana. Back in "the old days", they didn't charge people to go through it and we always went over there and played whenever we went to visit Uncle Claude. They even used to let us come inside the house and walk around.
Celebrities were just ordinary folks off their public podium back in the day. My mother tells a story of sharing a day at the public swimming pool in Palm Springs, California. Said she was the nicest person and they had a wonderful chat. I'm named for her. Reckon that had anything to do with it?

Susan - s3js

CHEERY O
What fun you will have when you get there. Amanda, who are your Revolutionary ancestors and where are they from?

pachimac

CHEERY O
Oh, fantastic story. Who was your ancestor?
I can't remember his first name, but his last name was Lathrop, sometimes spelled Lothropp. My Dad said "Pastor Lathrop" when he told me the story. I'm re-watching "Finding Your Roots" to see who it is. Unfortunately, all my Dad's side has passed and I can't ask anyone. :(

ETA I just found the Facebook message my mom had sent me to watch it. This is him!!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Lothropp

Its Maggie Gyllenhaal. I remembered it much worse than it was. She kept saying "I don't identify with that part of me..."

Last edited:

Cherylndesigns

I'm in The Zone ~ The "O" Zone
CHEERY O
Celebrities were just ordinary folks off their public podium back in the day. My mother tells a story of sharing a day at the public swimming pool in Palm Springs, California. Said she was the nicest person and they had a wonderful chat. I'm named for her. Reckon that had anything to do with it?
Yes, things were sure different back then, that's for sure. I just looked at the James Whitcombe Rile site and it's expensive and they've parlayed it into about 3 different venues - one of them you need reservations to get into. We played, freely, all over his home and on the grounds. They've moved most of it into Indianapolis.

Susan - s3js

CHEERY O
I can't remember his first name, but his last name was Lathrop, sometimes spelled Lothropp. My Dad said "Pastor Lathrop" when he told me the story. I'm re-watching "Finding Your Roots" to see who it is. Unfortunately, all my Dad's side has passed and I can't ask anyone. :(

ETA I just found the Facebook message my mom had sent me to watch it. This is him!!

Its Maggie Gyllenhaal. I remembered it much worse than it was. She kept saying "I don't identify with that part of me..."
I suspect that has a lot more to do with her being Jewish, than anything. You are born Jewish if your mother is Jewish - and hers is. She grew up firmly rooted in Judaism, so her Christian roots might conflict with that. Funny she would want to be 100% European. If her mother is Jewish by birth ad infinitem, that side is not European but Middle Eastern. Interesting!

pachimac

CHEERY O

pachimac

CHEERY O
I suspect that has a lot more to do with her being Jewish, than anything. You are born Jewish if your mother is Jewish - and hers is. She grew up firmly rooted in Judaism, so her Christian roots might conflict with that. Funny she would want to be 100% European. If her mother is Jewish by birth ad infinitem, that side is not European but Middle Eastern. Interesting!

She just explained that her father pushed himself out of Christianity. So, she would not want to identify with them. Then yes, add the Jewish ancestry and you get a person who doesn't know their identity.

I think what bothered me is that of all the wonderful things she found out about BOTH sides of her family, and her Jewish roots being so far back to the 4 "mothers" in antiquity, that her comment when he asked what was most surprising thing that she learned, she said "That I have any relation to George Bush", and that was obviously NOT something she wanted.

I dunno - I just feel a little dissed as an American. My issue. LOL

Last edited:

scrap-genie

Susie @pachimac , that means we are related (very, very . . . . distantly) as John Lothrop's daughter Jane and her husband Samuel Fuller (Mayflower) are my ancestors way back. His meeting house (in which he lived?) in Barnstable, Massachusetts, is now the Sturgis Library which you can visit. History of it here: https://www.sturgislibrary.org/history-of-the-library/.

pachimac

CHEERY O

tanteva

TFS this video, going to watch it now with my morning coffee. Gyllenhaalnis a Swedish family name, I'm hoping they say something about that.

Susan - s3js

CHEERY O
I grew up in Southern California too. I went to Mater Dei High School in Santa Ana from 1978-1982~
We lived in Santa Ana in 1964-65. I went to Wilson Elementary. I loved our house there and our neighborhood. I think it's still there - or at least it was when a looked a handful of years ago.

pachimac

CHEERY O
@scrap-genie and @pachimac Jean and Susie, do either of your lines cross into the John Alden/Priscilla? Mullins

I don't know. Unfortunately, both of my parents have passed and my Mom was the one who did all the genealogy. She had it written down, but no one seems to be able to find her papers. I am betting my brother has them in the family history trunk, but we don't see each other very much anymore.