Oscraps

Do You Have a Superpower?

AZK

Queen of the Universe
CHEERY O
We all might be familiar with the game that asks you what you would want your superpower to be if you could pick one, but I have a different question--do you already have a superpower? Let me explain!

A few weeks ago I was talking with my younger sister and the subject turned to the many challenges she has in her life---she has always been the main wage earner in her household; her husband has been disabled for many years and has many medical issues that she needs to monitor; one of her adult children has a difficult life; and she has 4 very active grandchildren that she regularly cares for. Despite all this, she has a wonderful attitude and a remarkable ability to persevere with grace. The comment she made that stuck in my head was: "I've decided that my superpower is Infinite Patience."

Isn't that great? That made me wonder if I could claim a "superpower" of my own. As someone with self-esteem issues, I had to think long and hard, but I decided that if I had to, I would say that being able to explain/teach things is mine, as I have had many people over the years tell me that they thought that was something I did well.

How about you? Tell us one thing that you would claim as your superpower. And no capes necessary! ;)

tanteva

all i need is Oscraps, cOffee, chOcOlate & tOfu
I think my super power is that I am very sensitive in the way that I often can take in the feeling in a room or in a person. Like immediately feel what someone is feeling. Hard to explain in English, but it's almost like I smell or feel in the air the feelings surrounding people. It can be hard at times, when people are really troubled. Like if we're in the grocery store, and there's a couple in front of us - all nice and smiling - and I can just feel that they've been arguing all morning, and will start again as soon as they are home. It's like the air around them are a dull, dark grey color, and the smiling faces clashes with what I "see".

But most of the time it's a great skill. I know when I can joke around with someone, or if they need to hear a compliment to lift their spirit, and so on.

LSlycord

What an interesting question. I need to think about this for awhile. But I promise that I will be back. Because I think that we should all answer this question for ourselves. As women, we too easily undervalue ourselves. We need to identify our super powers.

faerywings

The Loopy-O
CHEERY O
what a great question. Seriously- a great, as in immense, question hah!
It is thought-provoking and as Linda said, I have to think about it. My first reaction was "I don't wake up screaming every morning." Which, while true, is not the response you were looking for. :p

If you had asked me this 5-6 years ago, I would have been able to answer instantly. I was able to keep my family together through a *lot* when the kids were little. Gary was diagnosed with Late Stage Lyme in 2007 (permanently disabled by it), I was diagnosed in March 2008, and the kids two months after that. For ten years I took care of everything- medical, household, financial, educational- you name it, I had to do it. I had to advocate for all of us while being sick myself. In 2014 I was Dx'd with breast cancer (caught early and still cancer-free!) and I managed to keep it together. Back then, I would say my superpower was strength.
Now I am not so sure. I am going to go out on a limb and say that I still have that core of strength within me. Thankfully, I don't need it in the same way and I am going to hope I don't need to again.

• Love
Reactions: AZK

Vicki Robinson

Designer + Brush Queen + Mac Guru
Designer
I think my super power is that I am very sensitive in the way that I often can take in the feeling in a room or in a person. Like immediately feel what someone is feeling. Hard to explain in English, but it's almost like I smell or feel in the air the feelings surrounding people. It can be hard at times, when people are really troubled. Like if we're in the grocery store, and there's a couple in front of us - all nice and smiling - and I can just feel that they've been arguing all morning, and will start again as soon as they are home. It's like the air around them are a dull, dark grey color, and the smiling faces clashes with what I "see".

But most of the time it's a great skill. I know when I can joke around with someone, or if they need to hear a compliment to lift their spirit, and so on.
In English, the term is “empath” or “empathic”. And I’m that too, and I agree. It can be a blessing or a curse.

Last edited:

tanteva

all i need is Oscraps, cOffee, chOcOlate & tOfu
In English, the term is “empath” or “empathic”. And I’m that too, and I agree. I can be a blessing or a curse.
Most of the time I see it as a great gift. Helps me thread lightly when needed, or lift the spirit of others. Only when I'm a bit drained myself, can it be hard to take in everyone else's feelings.

Vicki Robinson

Designer + Brush Queen + Mac Guru
Designer
Most of the time I see it as a great gift. Helps me thread lightly when needed, or lift the spirit of others. Only when I'm a bit drained myself, can it be hard to take in everyone else's feelings.
Agreed. there were lots of really ugly things happening here in the States for awhile, and I had a difficult time with the weight if it. But generally, it’s a good thing.

faerywings

The Loopy-O
CHEERY O
Agreed. there were lots of really ugly things happening here in the States for awhile, and I had a difficult time with the weight if it. But generally, it’s a good thing.
Same here. I think that is why my superpower is to not wake up screaming. It is very hard on the soul.
Howe do you "protect" yourselves while not losing faith in humanity?

AZK

Queen of the Universe
CHEERY O

What a wonderful superpower to have! I agree with @Vicki Robinson, that could be an ability that could quickly wear down a person, I am reminded of the character of John Coffee in the Green Mile. On the other hand, it would make it so much easier to connect with people face-to-face.

AZK

Queen of the Universe
CHEERY O
what a great question. Seriously- a great, as in immense, question hah!
It is thought-provoking and as Linda said, I have to think about it. My first reaction was "I don't wake up screaming every morning." Which, while true, is not the response you were looking for. :p

If you had asked me this 5-6 years ago, I would have been able to answer instantly. I was able to keep my family together through a *lot* when the kids were little. Gary was diagnosed with Late Stage Lyme in 2007 (permanently disabled by it), I was diagnosed in March 2008, and the kids two months after that. For ten years I took care of everything- medical, household, financial, educational- you name it, I had to do it. I had to advocate for all of us while being sick myself. In 2014 I was Dx'd with breast cancer (caught early and still cancer-free!) and I managed to keep it together. Back then, I would say my superpower was strength.
Now I am not so sure. I am going to go out on a limb and say that I still have that core of strength within me. Thankfully, I don't need it in the same way and I am going to hope I don't need to again.

Strength is a good superpower to have, whether or not you need it! But I also think "I don't wake up screaming every morning." could just be part of that!