Oscraps

Daily Ooos: Wednesday, August 10

faerywings

The Loopy-O
CHEERY O
woo hoo! The humidity broke and I was able (allowed LOL) to turn the AC off this morning and open the windows. Blessed silence. All I can hear are some birds chirping and the occasional car driving down the street. Ahhhh.
I think I should be able to get into the attic for the suitcase without instantly dehydrating if I go up there soon.

We ended up having a really fun game night. Scott came home the other day with a new board game, Thunder Mountain Railroad -- based on the Disney ride. You have to mine for gold and collect points. You need some luck and some strategy and Caitlyn kicked our butts. Because we are who we are, we have already discussed ways to turn it into a drinking game (there are Fate cards with natural disasters like Landside-- for every landslide card that gets played we need to do a shot of a Mudslide for ex) or to turn up the drama by throwing in some Oregon Trail cards- You have Died from Dysentery bwahaha

I packed a few things so far but will do the rest of that when I get back from the grocery store. My mom has a medical test this morning and is meeting me here, then I will drive her car to PA. My butt is going to be sitting either on the sofa or in the screen room for the next 40 hours after that. :D

Not that you need my permission, but please so open this thread for the next two days. TY!!!

HAGD!

faerywings

The Loopy-O
CHEERY O
@BrightEyes I am sure you had so much fun and lots of laughs with your RH Gals. How late did they stay this time? ;)
The cookies sound so good. I have been trying to watch what I eat after all of the cake I had in June/July and the cookies are making me drool. I can understand why the lightning would make you nervous, When my cousin first got her license (she would have been 17, me 18) she was driving us home from the shore, and were stuck in an awful t-storm. The roads were flooded and lightning was hitting the tops of the electric poles. We were so freaked out.
How awful to make it worse to wake up realizing that Bill wasn't next to you :(

@bcgal00 what are konjac noodles? Asian or Thai?
Hope the packing is moving along well

@Cherylndesigns You were lucky that I didn't tease you, I must have been in a good mood. Or I was too tired LOL!!
It rained here too- for all of 5 minutes. pfft
your shorts sound cute, I used to do that with my jeans "back in the day."
I had a feeling that I would remember Nancy's if it was the pie shop. Remember the day my kids were born? Nahhhhh. Remember where a good pie shop is located?? You bet! #clap

@tanteva I LOVED Grease when I was a kid. We allll wanted to be Sandy ;)

@Amandajk Your kids are lucky to have g-parents like you. I would not have survived my kids' childhoods if it weren't for all 4 grandparents. It shows in the relationship they have with the g-parents to this day, they are very close. Scott and his Ex-GF (*spits*-- sorry about that, but it is an improvement to how I used to react to thinking about her)
used to go out on dates with my ILs. If Cait and her fiance are getting vegan food near my parents they always stop to say hi. bet that you will have a close relationship with yours when they get older, even if you end up moving-- they will remember these fun times with you-- always

@Betty Jo I rarely go food shopping in person too. I find that the $5 fee is less than what I would spend on some impulse buy. Psychologically, it is also easier to delete something from my shopping cart than it is to put it back on the shelf if I am going over budget. However, it is harder to see what is available or out of stock so planning is sometimes messed up. I bet the off-brand of ice cream was perfect for your DS and I am sure he appreciated you looking for it
I am going to have to look up Five Crowns, and see how to play. Congrats on winning!
Yay @bcgal00 you got the cubes, so I can now go along. I figure that if Alexa can live in an Echo that's about 6x6, I should make out okay with all that room in the cubes at 15x15!
ROTFLMAO!!!!
I bookmarked the Brand New Vegan Blog, TFS!!
Caitlyn and Tom are having a potluck for their engagement party and I told them I would help fill in some of the food areas that are light. That will be a big help!

LSlycord

Good morning ladies. We had the interior of the house painted, I am sorting through my collection of music boxes that are boxed in the closet and I'm still counting down the days until Syd leaves. I got the call about the job...I didn't get it. They hired an internal candidate that had been there 10 years. But they have two other positions opening that they really want me to apply for. I don't know...we will see. It's a pain to go through all of those interviews...especially knowing that they already had someone that they wanted.

I've got to get to work but I will come back for personals at lunch time.

Betty Jo

♥ Lovin' the O ♥
@faerywings It's good you can turn the AC off and get some fresh air. I don't have to run mine here at all at night, normally turn on mid-morning and off again between 8 and 9PM. We've got heavy thunderstorms rolling in at the moment. An everyday occurance lately and I'm really getting tired of them. My grocery order is arriving any moment, so I'll be back later in the day to reply more.

I love the family game times. We aren't drinkers, so that wouldn't work for us, but maybe I can come up with something similar to add even more fun.

Sounds like you need a time out for just sitting. Enjoy!

Hands down, my favorite recipe on Brand New Vegan is his Texas Style BBQ Soy Curls. I haven't bought soy curls in quite a while and used to get mine from Amazon. Not sure where you can get them these days. Here is the recipe and the picture makes my mouth water: Texas Style BBQ Soy Curls Even my non-vegan family and friends loved these.

bbq-soy-curls copy.jpg

@LSlycord So very sorry about the job. How I hated job interviews through the years. Not having to go through those any longer is one of the best parts of retirement.

LSlycord

@BrightEyes I am so sorry about the bad dream and especially waking up without Bill. That had to have been the worst. The lightning strike sounds scary. When I was 16, I was at my brother's baseball game with my parents. There was thunder but it was in the distance. My brother's team had just left the field to bat and lightning struck like a big ball of fire. Several of the boys on the field had metal cleats and that ball of fire traveled from one kid to another...until it stopped with some kid who had tennis shoes on.
There was a huge hole in the ground and my brother's coach, who was a VietNam vet, thought that we were being bombed. It was an experience that traumatized me for years. I've been the first to pull my kids off of soccer fields more than once when I have spotted lightning strikes in the distance. Hope the storms disappear. Hope that the visit with the Red Hat ladies was good.

@bcgal00 I may need to take a look at the Almost Paradise. I need an easy watch.

@Cherylndesigns I need a Pie Shop. I thought that the food would be better here. Thought that being in the northeast part of Florida, some of the southern cooking might have rubbed off but it doesn't seem to have. I guess I should make my own pies but it sounds like it will involve effort.

@tanteva did you watch Grease? When I told my kids that Olivia Newton-John had died, they asked, "Who is that?" I think that we may need one more movie night before Sydney leaves.

@Amandajk pretty impressed that your grandson made white lasagna. Do you think that you may move far? We moved from Iowa to Florida in June of 2019. Then the Pandemic hit and the world turned upside down. I don't think that Florida is my forever home but the kids are both in college now so I think I am here for another 3-4 years.

@Betty Jo job interviews aren't fun. I have a current job but it is a contract position and I'd really like an employee job with benefits. But, we will see.

tanteva

all i need is Oscraps, cOffee, chOcOlate & tOfu
Yay! Chris is going away. We're gonna have a crazy party when we're not supervised. LOL

Thanks @Betty Jo for sharing that blog, looks like lots of great recipes. I signed up for the newsletter, and will look into it more, once I'm at the puter. Can tell you though, I will not try that recipe you told about. I do not like anything with BBQ in it's name. LOL

The reason I'm not by the puter is that my new EHD arrived yesterday, and I'm finally making a backup for all my digital scrapbooking supplies. It's taking forever! I have this idea in my head for a layout, and my puter is busy!
#cry
You know, I often get inspired by music & watching Grease yesterday filled my head with ideas.

And @LSlycord .... you gotta grab them kids and pull them out of that cultural darkness they're in. Grease tonight! That's an order. LOL

To be honest, though, I'm not 100% sure the movie is holding up. I wonder what anyone seeing it for the first time now, would think. Without the nostalgia, I wonder what's left. It's a kinda crappy story really, tbh. LOL

But ... oh, oh, those summer nights ....

bcgal00

CHEERY O
Good morning ladies. We are down to the last few days of preparation for the trip. We are heading to the bank to get some US cash to bring and need a few more luggage tags. Jen picked up a couple of puzzle books for us and got a deck of cards so we can sit in the games room with a snack and a drink and play cards if we want. I loaded a few books onto my phone so can read a bit here and there.

We started watching the final season of Discovery of Witches yesterday. We have 3 more to finish it.

@faerywings Have a fun relaxing time with your mom. Sounds like the game was a hit! Konjac noodles or rice are made from a plant, they are 0 carbs and very low calories. They need to be rinsed well before using. I rinse, then fry for about 5 min, low heat, adding in a bit of oil, garlic, S&P and onion powder. The frying dries them out so they are not slimy which I can't tolerate. For variation you can add in some butter, cheese, red pepper flakes...whatever you want. I have leftovers so tonight will re-fry them for a few minutes with butter, peppers and mushrooms to have as a side dish with scrambled eggs and a bit of cheese grated overtop.

@LSlycord Sorry to hear you didn't get the job. Hope another opportunity works out soon for you.

I'm getting coffee and getting on with my day. We'll be heading out for errands soon before the heat ramps up.

BFN

Lynn Grieveson

Designer
Designer
@faerywings that board game sounds like a lot of fun :)

@BrightEyes sorry about the sad dream

@tanteva Arrgh I hate 'digital housekeeping'!!

@LSlycord Sorry about the job, it's so annoying to go through the stress of applying when they already had someone earmarked for the position :-(

@bcgal100 Good luck with the final trip prep! We occasionally have konjac as well (we are super-low-carb as it keeps my auto-immune stuff at bay). Unfortunately, the other week I made a great stirfry and DH offered to finish it off. But he decided that draining and rinsing the konjac was too much trouble so he just dumped the whole watery, fishy packet into the frypan on top of my nice stirfry. You can imagine my face .... #dk

Cherylndesigns

I'm in The Zone ~ The "O" Zone
CHEERY O
Hello everybody.

Lynn @Lynn Grieveson it's nice to see you in here! Chris @faerywings we have some wicked game nights, too - we love Pictionary and I can't think of this other crazy game - there's a countdown timer to come up with the answer. We get pretty wild. Have a wonderful trip with your mom. You need it! I knew you remembered the pie shop.

Linda @LSlycord sorry about the job - that's SO annoying when they already know - what a time waster. You would love Nany's. They make everybody by hand - she has "meatloaf day" and it's the best - everything is homemade and you can tell it. That place is always full. Her sign in the front says "You Need Pie". Hahaha I have to agree with you about the food choices in FL - most are chains. If you like seafood, there are some good, local seafood places, at least in the S. Ft. Myers/Sanibel/Captiva area. Sanibel has lots of local eateries - Cheeseburger Cheeseburger is one of our favorites. There'sA a place called The Bubble Room - on Captiva Island.

Amanda @Amandajk just for you - I took pictures of my "alterations". My inspiration was my new jacket that's really distressed. The first picture shows some of the jacket with my jean shorts. The second picture is my "altered T-shirt" - I cut the necks our and the bottoms off - I do that if the neck's too tight or if the shirt is too long. LOL

jacket-and-shorts.jpgthumbnail---2022-08-10T122623.066.jpg

Better run - Adrienne's coming down soon.

Amandajk

Ack. What a day... Pastor's father passed and funeral is today, but since DS has taken a part time leadership spot with student ministries, he and wife are going and we are keeping kids. DIL's dog of 15 years has been weak and had a seizure last night She took him to vet this morning and Vet said put him down. And NOW they are at the funeral for pastor's dad. My heart feels heavy for them.
@Cherylndesigns THANKS for the visuals!!! LOVE it!!!I have a pair of jeans- GV "Amanda"s I might try. There is a dark stain on lower thigh anyway, so I can't wear them out as is without feeling conscious. I LOVE THAT jacket!!! Somehow I missed the news about your friend. Sorry and hugs!

@LSlycord : I feel for you. I had an interview last month that kept getting delayed. Then I go to it and answer questions that to me, were a bit odd- but it was a YOUNG 30 something so...(lol) Then they tell me that Oh, we gave that position to another person two weeks ago, would you be interested in working in the toddler ( as in under 2) room? HECK NO! I am a teacher with no interest in babysitting. I honestly STINK with babies outside the family, LOL. I have NO patience for them. (YIKES) So I frankly told them no thank you, it wouldn't be fair to the children or to me as I would be miserable. Would have been more professional to let me know the position had been filled BEFORE having me get showered, dressed up and drive over there!! ARGH. But that would have required thinking of the applicant. Right?? Praying you will find your place.
Thanks for the kind words re; grands. We hope it is that way. We plan to move about an hour away- just to give some space between our lives and their lives. It's been a point of contention with DIL in past, and now, Hubster and I want that distinction- we've had a very rough go at our first several empty nest years. It's much better now, but we want to have more than babysitting, which we love, but it makes it hard to do anything else, iykwim? We'd also LOVE to be in a larger city than this one.

@Betty Jo That BBQ looks wonderful! I can't eat soy, but boy that is a tempting image of the stuff!!
@faerywings Our DD was born in PA! Latrobe, but we lived in beautiful, charming mountainous Ligonier. I joined my first Artist's Guild there. Loved that town. It was also where we had our first full time pastorate.
@Lynn Grieveson I am so glad you pop into the forum. I have great respect for designers who engage! Just bought your Whale of a Time papers- our anniversary is this month and the wedding colors fit that pack perfectly!!!

Cherylndesigns

I'm in The Zone ~ The "O" Zone
CHEERY O
Ack. What a day... Pastor's father passed and funeral is today, but since DS has taken a part time leadership spot with student ministries, he and wife are going and we are keeping kids. DIL's dog of 15 years has been weak and had a seizure last night She took him to vet this morning and Vet said put him down. And NOW they are at the funeral for pastor's dad. My heart feels heavy for them.
@Cherylndesigns THANKS for the visuals!!! LOVE it!!!I have a pair of jeans- GV "Amanda"s I might try. There is a dark stain on lower thigh anyway, so I can't wear them out as is without feeling conscious. I LOVE THAT jacket!!! Somehow I missed the news about your friend. Sorry and hugs!

@LSlycord : I feel for you. I had an interview last month that kept getting delayed. Then I go to it and answer questions that to me, were a bit odd- but it was a YOUNG 30 something so...(lol) Then they tell me that Oh, we gave that position to another person two weeks ago, would you be interested in working in the toddler ( as in under 2) room? HECK NO! I am a teacher with no interest in babysitting. I honestly STINK with babies outside the family, LOL. I have NO patience for them. (YIKES) So I frankly told them no thank you, it wouldn't be fair to the children or to me as I would be miserable. Would have been more professional to let me know the position had been filled BEFORE having me get showered, dressed up and drive over there!! ARGH. But that would have required thinking of the applicant. Right?? Praying you will find your place.
Thanks for the kind words re; grands. We hope it is that way. We plan to move about an hour away- just to give some space between our lives and their lives. It's been a point of contention with DIL in past, and now, Hubster and I want that distinction- we've had a very rough go at our first several empty nest years. It's much better now, but we want to have more than babysitting, which we love, but it makes it hard to do anything else, iykwim? We'd also LOVE to be in a larger city than this one.

@Betty Jo That BBQ looks wonderful! I can't eat soy, but boy that is a tempting image of the stuff!!
@faerywings Our DD was born in PA! Latrobe, but we lived in beautiful, charming mountainous Ligonier. I joined my first Artist's Guild there. Loved that town. It was also where we had our first full time pastorate.
@Lynn Grieveson I am so glad you pop into the forum. I have great respect for designers who engage! Just bought your Whale of a Time papers- our anniversary is this month and the wedding colors fit that pack perfectly!!!
I'm so glad you liked the pictures! I say "go for it - cut those jeans off and distress them" - you can't wear them out anyway. I had 3 pairs of jeans that were outdated, so I cut them into shorts, too. LOL I'm a cutting fool - can't sew but I can "alter". I'm going to tackle my old jean jacket next - I think it needs a new look. BWAJAJA

Sorry to hear about your pastor's father and the dear doggie. I'm with you on babies - love my own, but not others. Hhaha OPK (other people's kids" I call them. NO WAY I'd take care of a bunch of 2 year olds. First of all, I'd have my earplugs in so it would be hard for me to hear if they needed anything. I carry earplugs with me at all times in case I go in a store and kids start screaming. One day, a woman saw me put them in and she started laughing so hard. She said that was a great idea and she was getting herself some.

Betty Jo @Betty Jo Amanda just reminded me of that delicious looking BBQ sandwich you posted - yummmmm.