Oscraps

Daily Ooos: Friday, February 19

faerywings

The Loopy-O
CHEERY O
Snow Update from North Jersey: Yes, it is still snowing. Thankfully, it is very fine flakes so not too much is accumulating, but dang, this winter is never going to end. When it first started snowing yesterday, it was those big, fat, fluffy ones and I thought that it was going to pile up fast. I have no clue if Scott is going to be able to make it to his MRI appt. It is about an hour from here and is going NW which tends to be colder than us by a few degrees. Just checked our forecast and it is supposed to do this all day. [frusty smilie]
I had to take the dogs out just now and eep, it is so cold.

Last night at dinner, I was teasing Scott about how impressed I was that he was working so hard cleaning his room. He cleaned out his entire closet and his desk. I told him that I wish I could have done that much and he replied that basically, that's *all* he has done in the past year. That led up to compare our Laziness Quotients. He won but mostly because I am the parent and in charge of the food prep. ROTF!
I started another scrap page for a March challenge and I used the Deep Dream Generator that @Betty Jo shared. It is a photo of J so I can't count that toward my book progress. ;) I am about 10 rows into the second Mitten Part 2. So far, it is matching up perfectly with the first mitten and I am being super careful with my counting,. This is why I should stick to only crocheting scarves- much easier to fake it if I make a mistake or two (or 100). Haha!

I still can't get an open spot for groceries next week. I wish I could figure out what is up. It has open spots for Monday but nothing for T-W-Th. Thursday wasn't even listed yesterday which makes me doubt that they are actually all booked up. I don't want to take a Monday spot b/c I don't need anything yet and Monday is such a pain trying to get processed because the website crashes so often on Sundays. If I had a dime for every time that I hit F5 in the past few weeks I would be able to order pizzas for dinner.
Today is going to be more of the same old same old, but I also have to pay some bills/do banking. I installed Turbo Tax but I can't seem to bring myself to actually work on the taxes. Cait's are going to be the hardest since she made a decent amount on Etsy. Scott didn't work at all but has to claim his scholarship as income. Hmm, come to think of it, Gary and my taxes will be the easiest.
(not that I want to do them either way...)

Wishing everyone a happy Friday! Hugs and love to all!

faerywings

The Loopy-O
CHEERY O
@taxed4ever you are a brave woman going back to the pool. How was the water- clean and warm, I hope.
Even though I froze almost solid the days I was cleaning off the hedges, the fresh air did wonders so I can understand why you walked even if it was cold. My road is still covered with snow and the banks make it unsafe to walk on. Cars can't see you and the drivers tend to speed on my little street no matter what the weather.
That Hunter is so cute yelling I win, I win! That makes me smile so much! Are the kids home from school again with the snow? It seems that the moment they are able to go back b/c of less COVID, the snow is going to make it a pain,. Poor Heather, hope that she is doing ok with it. It has to be hard sometimes.
So funny, I am extremely squeamish when it comes to eyeballs- every time one of my crime shows has scenes with eyeballs- more often than you might think!- I have to close my eyes and Gary tells me when it is safe. But the *inside* of eyes, like the pics the Dr shows you don't bother me at all. It is nice when you have a Dr who gets happy seeing stuff like that or ya might think they were in the wrong field.*G*

@bcgal00 How has your back been feeling? Is it ok for you to sit at your desk for longer periods?
I saw one of your bird photos on FB and Oh wow!! That camera is going to be fun to use! Sorry to hear that D is down for the count. Hope he feels better soon. I feel so conflicted about J moving out- I know it is going to be good for her and really good for B but I know you are going to miss her. I really hope that you all get vaccinated soon and can visit again in person.

Kay- Wow, you were busy yesterday. Did it feel good to get so much accomplished? Congrats on the vax!! *happy dancing* Sorry to hear that you had to wait afterward bit so smart to do that. I am allergic to Plaquenil and I had a really bad skin reaction to tetanus vax, wonder if I will have to wait longer too. I know Caitlyn will and will bring her EpiPen just in case. My mom gets her second dose tomorrow, and I am so happy! Who would have thought this time last year the biggest excitement in our lives would be getting shots! LOL!!!

@nancyr I think we got about 5" yesterday too, is it still snowing by you today? Holy cow, 37" of snow this season? I was saying to Gary this morning how I had gotten a new pair of snow boots last year for Christmas but didn't take the tags off until December 2020. Now they have been by the door for weeks and weeks.
Is your pink coat the one that's heated? be careful out on the roads! I have to admit, don't mind a new *layer* of fresh snow to hide the dog pee but that is it! haha!! My BFF and I were hate-texting about the snow much of the morning. I am happy that you and Luther enjoy it so much!
Are you going to have to ask one of your boys to get you "essentials" AKA Dr. Pepper? :p

@LSlycord Sounds like you and the family are being super careful, and that is a relief. I keep seeing the viral videos of the anti-maskers in FL yelling at the people in stores. So sad.
Kudos to Shaun for sticking to what was right at the pool. That had to be difficult.

@felis- good for you for getting stuff done! You are such a considerate person and yeah, Mother Nature does not seem happy with us at all. Yay for your mom getting her second dose too. Gary is like your dad, still weighing which one might be the best for him although I think/hope he takes whichever one he is given the opportunity for.
I am the same way with patterns and counting. I prefer to wing it which doesn't always turn out so good when it comes to needlecrafts. Hope that the links are helpful. The Cratymink site already gave me a tip-- a way to crochet into the chain that is easier than the way I do it. I will keep it in mind for the future.
I have a hard time keeping the yarn tension even but it did get easier for me over time. I think that was one of the biggest benefits too that you can simply pull a stitch or to or a row if you need to. It seems much harder with knitting if you make a mistake. I will take pics of the mittens when they are done! Can't wait to see your amigurumi!

Please start threads on crochet! I was actually going to do that myself but would be thrilled if you did that. :)
Although feel free to share here as well.

@Cherylndesigns Any luck with getting the cars back where they belong yet? Is there still a lot of snow that if it lets the cars will get stuck in the mud? You have sheets of plywood to put under the tires maybe? Be careful out there!
Ava is a doll, what a good person she is- wonder where she gets that from? *G* Your fam is the best!

TTYS!!!

taxed4ever

Administrator Crazy about the "O"
CHEERY O
Morning ladies... Had a long face time again with Heather and Hunter, although Hunter was not too interested in talking with me this morning. So I got to catch up with Heather. She is happy that she is getting her new glasses tomorrow. She has to have Prisms in her lenses because of the damage from encephalitis so she is unable to just order her lenses online. Its a pain for her as everyone has to go with her and you know what its like to drag your hubby and kids along with you to an appt. LOL. Other than that the only other thing they have to do this weekend is rebuild the snow fort in the front yard as the snow plow did some damage to it last night. They got a bunch more snow so the plows were out doing all the streets and got a bit to close to the yard. :(
Still working on Sadies Birthday card and other than that not much happening here today. Yesterday's swim was great! The water was much warmer and no accidents thank goodness! It was funny that 45 mins into the swim (we have an hour to do our laps). I was the last person in the pool. I had the entire place to myself. At first I thought oh oh they evacuated the pool again and I was left behind, but no there were a few in the big hot tub (they only allow 4 for 10 mins) and everyone else just left early.

@faerywings - That is so strange that you can't get a spot for your grocery pick up! It must be so frustrating! If I do my order on any day before 10 am I am able to pick up that same day usually between 12-2 pm. They have a great online shopping at Save-On Foods although my sister shops at Super Store and says its not that great and the wait time to have your groceries brought out to you is terrible. Glad that the Part 2 of the mitten is going better! How nice that Scott is keeping his room clean and organized, not much else to do is there :rolleyes:

Well I am off to the shower and will catch up with the rest of you in a bit. Have a great morning everyone!

BrightEyes

Kay
CHEERY O
Dashing in for a quick hello.... Ran over to WM and picked up most of what I need grocery-wise so will wait until next week to go to the grocery store. Headed over there only to discover that they were doing road work and I had to take a detour. Glad they had signs up so didn't really go out of the way... just through a neighborhood instead of going to the main intersection. So came back on another main road to get home. Looks like we are going to be warmer today... all the way up to 30* now and sun is shining.
Was surprised to get a notice last evening that they have signed me up for my 2nd Covid vaccine shot on March 11 at the same place I got my first one. Really happy over that as it was an easy place to get to - only about 3 miles from the house - and no huge lines! Glad they are scheduling the return appt for us so no sitting and waiting for notice of when to signup for it. The arm is a bit sore and slightly stiff but no fever, etc. No worse than the regular flu shot I got last fall.

Heading to the library as soon as it warms up a bit more. Put 4 books on reserve yesterday afternoon and they are ready for pickup... they are by Karen Kingsbury. They don't have the 2 I wanted but found several others that sound good.

Cherylndesigns

I'm in The Zone ~ The "O" Zone
CHEERY O
Good Friday afternoon Ozies!

The sun is shining here and it's currently 37 degrees! We made it through the worst part, I hope. It's supposed to be 59 by Thursday! YAY! A big chunk of ice just broke off and hit the side of my scrapbook and it scared me and Daisy to death! We both jumped. LOL

@faerywings the car is still sitting down by the barn. Our SIL thought he could get it up the hill today but no luck. We're going to have to wait until it melts more. Yes, Ava is a doll. She's willing to help do anything! No matter what you ask, she says "Of course!" Such a great kid. They all are, but she's been the only one who could drive. Not being able to drive hampers the other two. Braden just got his license, but his truck is only a 2 wheel drive and his is down by the barn too. Roger has two old vehicles down there that he's going to restore and our two so it's beginning to look like a car lot.

@BrightEyes How wonderful that you got your first shot and now you have your second one scheduled already! That's wonderful! We're still trying to track 2 of them down. We're in a very rural area and I think that must have something to do with it. Good to hear that you didn't have anymore of a reaction than a flu shot! Two flu shots ago, my arm swelled up like an orange and I could barely even lift it up. It hurt for almost a week. That was the first reaction of any kind I'd ever had.

@taxed4ever glad you got your normal swim today and no "accidents". That had to be very traumatizing. Nice that you got to talk to Heather and Hunter (even if he wasn't really into it). My going on 10 year old grandson has no interest in FaceTiming. He's too busy gaming. When and if he does, all I get are silly faces and all of those crazy emojies that he puts on there. Then he takes pictures and sends them to me. I guess you take what you can get.

@felis that little turtle you made is adorable! You girls are making me think I might try crocheting again. I don't even think I have my hooks anymore. I hung onto them for years and now they're MIA. I might pick up a big hook and try to see if I can remember how to do it. I have 1 afghan that I made years ago and we still use it. I used the popcorn stich on it. I made it out of machine washable yarn and it has to be 25 years old and still in good shape. When my granddaughter, Ava, was born 20 years ago, I made her one just like it in pink. She still has it somewhere - probably packed away.

Have a good Friday and group hug.

LSlycord

Good evening ladies. WhooWee....so glad for the weekend. I have a couple of additional pages that I want to get done this weekend. Shaun asked me if I'm working on my scrapbooking again. He asked when the scrapbook will be done. What I think that translates to is when will a scrapbook about me be finished. LOL He saw my first layout of him swimming and I think he has decided that he should get his own scrapbook. Maybe I will make one for him for graduation. Then I will be in the same boat as you @faerywings.

It was so hot here yesterday (85 degrees) that I caved and turned on the upstairs air conditioner last night. When we woke up it was still 71 outside. But the temps have fallen all day and it is now downright chilly...although nothing like the rest of you have.

@Cherylndesigns did you feel the earthquake that hit OK and KS this morning. I just kept thinking how awful it is to have blizzards and earthquakes at the same time. Hope that your son can get the SUV back up the hill soon.

@taxed4ever I can't imagine how awful it will be for Heather to go to get glasses with the whole family but I'm sure that she will be thrilled to have them. I have an appointment with the eye doctor next week. Last year was the first visit to him as I had to find a new doctor once we moved here. I got a new prescription but it never did really work. They are progressive lenses and I picked them up a week before the world stopped with Covid. The prescription isn't right. The glasses were expensive but then I couldn't take them back because I didn't want to be close enough to anyone to not be socially distanced. Well, once things finally got better during the summer, I went there and the woman who fits the eyeglasses said that I just needed to get used to them...and she adjusted them again because she said the angle was off. I explained that I have worn progressive lenses for years and I understood the getting used to things but that wasn't the case here. Well she was condescending and honestly, I just brought them home and haven't worn them since. I was going to get another doctor, but I've decided to go back for the appointment that I made when I left there a year ago. And I'm going to advocate for myself...not be the defeated little woman that I was last summer when I accepted defeat because I didn't want to be in an unsafe situation from Covid. Can't hardly wait for this explanation of how I was wrong...NOT!

@BrightEyes so glad to hear that you are doing ok after the vaccine. And that you already have the second one scheduled. I love Karen Kingsbury. I just started a book by Eugenia Price titled Maria. It is set in St. Augustine which is right down the road so I'm looking forward to getting into it. I read her St. Simons Trilogy many, many years ago so I'm anxious to get some new insights into St. Augustine.

@felis look at you starting a thread on crocheting. I wonder where my hooks are...probably in a box under the stairs with all of my other hoarded treasures. I've never made anything but I have some really nice soft yarn and knitting needles and crochet hooks. And someday I'm going to have time to start a project...maybe never time to finish one. LOL

@Betty Jo , waving hi!

felis

So hello again, ladies!
Except the usual daily stuff, today I'm mostly work on my crocheting turtle. Now when I'm sure that I'll make her I can tell you the behind story, as I was mentioned few days ago.
In my language we don't have specific term for crocheting, we just say knitting on one and on two needles. So it's easy for someone who isn't familiar to mistake. Before 2 (maybe 3 year) my dad saw this amigurumi kit and because we don't have term for amigurumi too, he saw "kit for knitted toys" and get this as a gift for me. He was exited that I'll can make something cute for myself (as I knit mostly scarves for gifts). And left very disappointed that actually I'm not able, like I was spoil this so cute gift. He supposed that I can at least to use the yarn for something else, and that was what I did then, so to can show him some results. But this half empty box didn't give me peace and I bought The Dummies book for crocheting.
The rest I already mentioned in my other posts. At first I couldn't find time. Then last year with the whole stress around the life situation I couldn't stay concentrate into the learning process and find it very complicated and difficult! But fortunately this year everything turns easy peasy! Again, thank you so much for the links Chris!

Chris, I don't feels like someday will can to start project, before at first to refresh the basic knowledge. But that's OK. I needed to do that when I came back to knitting too, as my grandma learn me at my childhood, but then I wasn't do it for so long, that I needed refresh. I'm almost tempted to try with something epic as afghan, maybe with lace pattern and very thick wool yarn, so it can go faster and gives me some chances to finished it in this century lol. But it requires huge courage, so not really sure. LOL.
North Jersey, a haha , that's cool *wink* Don't worry my dear, Spring is around the corner! Soon, very soon we will complain from the hotteness!
Hope Scott to be able to go on his appt, and also you to get spot for grocery order! Did you tried at night time?

Trudy, WOW you have post traumatic stress after this pool evacuation, yours 'private' pool is always makes you happy before LOL! :D

Linda, same! I'm enthusiast at the beginning, but if some project needs long time mostly left unfinished. I started scarf for my sister, then stopped, then lose the yarn and had to buy new, but now they match on color, but not on thickness. Looks like they are changed this model yarn during the years, although I ordered from the same store, grrr! LOL
Make like me, post your work in progress! Then even if you get bored at some point, you are enjoyed to the initial excitement.

@Cherylndesigns Cheryl, maybe it's time to make one blanket for Kinley too. Also I'm interested from any projects, not just new, feel free to share pics at the crocheting topic! Oh I absolutely need from machine washable yarn as one dog and one of the cats sleep with us, and all coverlet have to be machine washable. Most are in pillow/blanket cases, but I'll not knit blanket if I can't admire it!

Did I mention that I don't use the tag option at the Daily O, as I don't want to make someone engaged with my posts if she found it difficult to read it, but absolutely love this easy way to catch up someone's attention when you really need!!

Cherylndesigns

CHEERY O
@felis I'll take pictures of my afghan tomorrow. I'll also see where Ava's pink one is. I'd love to show you pictures. I can't remember what the machine washable yarn used to be called, but I just looked on a yard website and they make it. It certainly has stood the test of time.

What an awesome idea to make one for my new great granddaughter! Thanks for that idea - that might get me back into crocheting again!!

Cherylndesigns

CHEERY O
@LSlycord I didn't feel the earthquake. We don't have regular TV, so I didn't even know about it. I did hear some giant pieces of ice falling off the roof and hitting the sides of the house. Scared me and my dog to bits! Haven't heard ice falling since we left Michigan years ago. Car(s) ours and our grandson's are still sitting down by the barn. It's warming up each day so we should be able to get them up here tomorrow. Our son-in-law thought he could "muscle" them up the hill today but it was an epic fail. We all went out to dinner tonight and it was kind of nice to be picked up at our front door and dropped off. Our daughter and son-in-law both have huge trucks/SUV's that are like snow plows.

nancyr

good evening ladies - well I thought the snow was only until this am but alas it has been snowing on and off all day. Had a nice talk with my sister. She says the weather in AZ is really nice and sunny. Oh well. OMgosh getting my windshield fixed is really driving me crazy. After her call I got a notice from Safelite that they needed me to confirm my policy by having the insurance call them. Well it turns out that State Farm does not do that you have to call a secondary company who then calls the insurance company and then Safelite. Whew! So I was on hold a lot as I waited for them to get it all straightened out. Then turns out that Monday is a another storm probably just rain but they cannot do the replacement in the rain. No available appointments on Tuesday so now it is being done on Wednesday. Wow! But luck was with me as my oldest, the mechanic was home because of the snow so he came and picked me up and we went to the grocery store and to the dog food store. We were fast. It was great! And yes I got my Dr. Pepper. How lucky he was home and he has a big Ford truck so he did fine on the roads. So my day was phone and shopping. I declined to cook. Tomorrow I am meeting my girlfriend (the one with breast cancer and who just have ovarian removal surgery) for lunch. We know to be very careful but she needs to get out and she wants to do this for my birthday. We always do this for each other. And again great news my Devils defeated the Boston Bruins. My team played really well. I think it was what is called a trap game for Boston as they are now headed to CA to play in an outdoor game at Lake Tahoe. I think they were more thinking about getting out of town and well my team played well! They play tomorrow and again on Sunday. I feel at some point they will have a sag. But for now I will love them playing so well!

@faerywings Chris I cannot believe we got snow all day! It is crazy! My DH did not go into work as the subways, trains and PATH were all running different schedules. I think I could fight with you and Scott to win the lazy award. I am wondering if your store is deciding that it does not have to do online shopping any more with the lessening of restrictions on eating out and other things. Sure hope you get a spot! Glad that your mitten is coming out so well.

@taxed4ever Trudy how fun to have some time to just talk to Heather! My Devils looked good! LOL. Awesome that the pool was clean and warm! Glad you liked Palmer too!

@BrightEyes Kay how fun to have 4 new books to read. I will look her up as I need something to read.

@Cherylndesigns glad that you are warming up. Hope the car comes up the hill soon. funny description of a car lot. I made an afghan too when I was young. It is sitting in my attic probably used by the squirrels. I loved that afghan.

@LSlycord Linda I cannot believe you got that warm. I am afraid if we get too warm too fast we will have flooding problems. My backyard will be come a lake. I am hoping for a long slow thaw.

LSlycord

@nancyr oh my. The windshield is becoming real pain. Why does everything need to be so complicated? I have my fingers crossed that Wednesday will really work out. And I am afraid that lots of flooding will occur soon. When some of these states heat back up to normal, everything will just melt so fast.