Oscraps

Chicken or the egg or Yarn or the project?

faerywings

The Loopy-O
CHEERY O
Which comes first: The chicken or the egg? Yarn or the project?

I got yarn for Christmas, a soft, very slightly variegated silver-grey. I was getting bugged by my family what I wanted for Christmas so I said yarn and found this one on Amazon. I sent them the link to basically shut them up ;)
But now I don't know what to do with it. Not a single project in mind. It is only one skein so it is going to be a cowl or hat. Unless I buy some more skeins but even I do that, I still don't have a pattern in mind.

How do you decide to start a project? DO you see a neat pattern and then buy yarn or fabric? Or do you fall in love with a yarn and get it, figuring you will find a pattern later?

AZK

Queen of the Universe
CHEERY O
I haven't done any non-scrapping crafting in a while, but I can say that in the past, I've always been inspired by the project and then gotten the supplies I needed to work on it. Speaking of yarn, I had a huge bundle of it that was given to me by a former coworker when his mom went into a nursing home. It sat for years and I gave most of it away, keeping just some skeins that I really really liked. And there they sit, lol.

Cherylndesigns

I'm in The Zone ~ The "O" Zone
CHEERY O
I'm trying to remember back when I crocheted. I always found something I wanted to make first, then got the yarn. Nothing wrong with getting the yard first, though. I'm sure you'll find something you want to make. Fingerless gloves? Those are always a winner. You have enough to make those? I can't even remember how to calculate things like that.

wombat146

ONA - Administrator
CHEERY O
Totally not a knitter, gave up trying years and years ago! *sigh* I think I have two balls of yarn in the house, which I sometimes use on my mixed media pages, and that is it. LOL!!! Maybe go to Pinterest and take a look................ hopefully you will return from there one day! bahwhahahhaaaa!!!!

Jam-on-toast

CHEERY O
I used to knit when I was in highschool... seriously, don't laugh! Those were pre-Netflix and pre-scrapping days... can't imagine doing that now... but it's a cosy thing to imagine... a roraring fire, a mug of tea, a ball of yarn and gentling clacking of the knitting needles...

tanteva

all i need is Oscraps, cOffee, chOcOlate & tOfu
I do both, but I think I mostly buy the yarn first, and then choose the pattern. When I have a yarn and want to find a pattern, I go to Ravelry and look up the yarn & see what other have made with it. Or I check my favorite designer's blog - she always have perfect pattern. Or I google the yarn.

Check out Breanna's blog: https://www.hookedonhomemadehappiness.com/ Lots of great hats there. And much more.

Vicki Robinson

Designer + Brush Queen + Mac Guru
Designer
I'm of no help! My hands are way too arthritic to knit or crochet now but I know for sure that some of my relatives have some pretty UGLY scarf gifts ... somewhere. Lol!

Ellen

I usually see a pattern or a book with patterns that I really like , buy that and find some yarn in my vast stack of yarn. If I have not got what I want I'll just order it online as the nearest proper wool shop is nearly 2 hours drive away .
Is it real wool or a mixture of wool and acrylic.
Some lacy scarfs need only one ball/skein of wool. Legwarmers, ear warmers, beanie, cover for a cushion , baby item ( depending what sort of yarn you have)

faerywings

The Loopy-O
CHEERY O
Eva- I looked at that blog and I think I am going to make this one:
Crochet Messy Bun Beanie Pattern
20171213_152130-1-700x490.png

The pattern looks easy enough as long as I keep a good eye on the counting and tension.

BrightEyes

Kay
CHEERY O
I have lots of yarn waiting to be used up. I have 2 knit sweaters started (won't say how long ago I started them). I used to love to knit but arthritis in both thumb joints makes it difficult now. Sometimes I see yarn on sale and then look for a pattern; other times I see a pattern and then buy the yarn.

faerywings

The Loopy-O
CHEERY O
I've made that one - it's great. Mine is a bit tight, and I've been meaning to make a new one. But ... My hair needs to be a bit longer first. LOL
You did? That is so cool! Any advice? I started on the ribbing yesterday. I think the pattern says 58 rows of that or about 18" I was going to place it around my head since my head is smaller than avg.

tanteva

You did? That is so cool! Any advice? I started on the ribbing yesterday. I think the pattern says 58 rows of that or about 18" I was going to place it around my head since my head is smaller than avg.
For me the ribbing got looser than the top. Some of the stitches used tighting it up a bit. But I made mine in a thick cotton, it might be that the yarn isn't as flexible as it should be? My gauge was a bit off too, I think, cuz, mine's a bit short. Probably would be better for a girl, LOL

Just make the ribbing so that you can wrap it around your tiny brain ... oops, sorry, head, for a nice fit.

faerywings

The Loopy-O
CHEERY O
For me the ribbing got looser than the top. Some of the stitches used tighting it up a bit. But I made mine in a thick cotton, it might be that the yarn isn't as flexible as it should be? My gauge was a bit off too, I think, cuz, mine's a bit short. Probably would be better for a girl, LOL

Just make the ribbing so that you can wrap it around your tiny brain ... oops, sorry, head, for a nice fit.
Better to have a tiny brain than a thick skull. *eyebrow wiggle*

Hahaha!! JK, I have one of those too:D

faerywings

The Loopy-O
CHEERY O

@tanteva I need some expert advice. The yarn I have is what the pattern calls for and the hook is too. But I think things are off here as well.
I did the ribbing and then counted out the rows so I would have an idea how much to do in the decrease rounds. It is less than 18" but I have 70 rows instead of the 58 in the pattern.

Now I am on round 6 and it is only about 2" in height.
There is no way that 9 more rounds are going to make it tall enough for my head. Should I add in more rounds before I start decreasing? I really don't want to rip everything out and start over with a bigger hook, although that is an option. :/

tanteva

@faerywings as long as it looks ok, just add rows until you're happy with the length, then do the decrease. It's ages since I did it, can't remember, but I remember, mine's a bit small too.