Oscraps

Book rec if you like non-fiction written like a thriller

faerywings

The Loopy-O
CHEERY O
I started reading The Woman They Could Not Silence by Kate Moore last night and I blew through the first 5 chapters already.
I wish I could remember where I came across it as something I wanted to read, but it popped up on my Libby app that I had placed a Hold on it so I downloaded it last night. Already, I can't seem to put it down.

It is a true story of a woman in the 1860s whose husband had her committed to an insane asylum because she had "unruly opinions of her own." The committal was legal because as a married woman she had no rights. None. According to the blurb, she finds that she is not the only sane woman trapped in the asylum. (Is your blood boiling yet?)
The book is footnoted and while you would think that would make it seem dry and academic, the text is incredibly lively and descriptive.
Right now, where I left off, she is experiencing her first night in the asylum and it is not pleasant. I can't wait to see how she fights back.

AZK

Queen of the Universe
CHEERY O
I don't read nonfiction as a rule, but based on your glowing review, I might give it a try!

Cherylndesigns

I'm in The Zone ~ The "O" Zone
CHEERY O
We just read The Last Million about the million displaced persons who were left at the end of WWII. It was very hard to read, but really true - I'm still trying to put the pieces together of the DP Program that my grandma was active in. I got some of the pieces of the puzzle. "A masterwork from acclaimed historian David Nasaw, The Last Million tells the gripping yet until now largely hidden story of postwar displacement and statelessness. By 1952, the Last Million were scattered around the world."

I got it on Amazon Prime on our Kindles.

faerywings

The Loopy-O
CHEERY O
I don't read nonfiction as a rule, but based on your glowing review, I might give it a try!
The only reason I stopped reading last night is that I was so tired and I didn't want to miss a word. Elizabeth Packard was a prolific writer so a lot of the conversations and thoughts come straight from her diaries. There are a few plot twists in there as well. I never thought I would be so sucked into a non-fiction book.

faerywings

The Loopy-O
CHEERY O
We just read The Last Million about the million displaced persons who were left at the end of WWII. It was very hard to read, but really true - I'm still trying to put the pieces together of the DP Program that my grandma was active in. I got some of the pieces of the puzzle. "A masterwork from acclaimed historian David Nasaw, The Last Million tells the gripping yet until now largely hidden story of postwar displacement and statelessness. By 1952, the Last Million were scattered around the world."

I got it on Amazon Prime on our Kindles.
I added that to my Good Reads list, I fear that this is going to happen to Ukraine.

O Birthday Fairy

Because I'm happy
CHEERY O
I started reading The Woman They Could Not Silence by Kate Moore last night and I blew through the first 5 chapters already.
I wish I could remember where I came across it as something I wanted to read, but it popped up on my Libby app that I had placed a Hold on it so I downloaded it last night. Already, I can't seem to put it down.

It is a true story of a woman in the 1860s whose husband had her committed to an insane asylum because she had "unruly opinions of her own." The committal was legal because as a married woman she had no rights. None. According to the blurb, she finds that she is not the only sane woman trapped in the asylum. (Is your blood boiling yet?)
The book is footnoted and while you would think that would make it seem dry and academic, the text is incredibly lively and descriptive.
Right now, where I left off, she is experiencing her first night in the asylum and it is not pleasant. I can't wait to see how she fights back.
@faerywings Is it on Kindle? Books are kinda hard for fairies!