Oscraps

Book Chat: Twilight Series

petey111

i haven't gotten to it yet. i know that if i read one, i have to read four...so i haven't gotten there yet...but there are plenty here that have read them.

t_a_l_i

Yep. :) I read all 4 in 4 days, last month. It took me awhile to get into the first book - I was on chapter 3 for weeks until I buckled down and kept reading - I was so curious why everyone was so nuts for the series. Now I see why. :)

I am a big Harry Potter fan, and although those books are better (and the movies as well, though I have high hopes for the next movie in the Twilight series), these books remind me of those, in the way that I couldn't wait to start the next book when I finished each one. :)

LindaPete

I've read all four of the books and my four daughters have either finished them or are working their way through them:)

helenh

Leah and I are working our way through them.

Tell us where and when Sue.

We are addicted.

lockhart0_1

Ohhhhhh!!! A book chat? What a way to get a girl excited Sue!!!! About 100 pages off of finishing the third.

Marlie

I read all of them in 5 days, loved them.....the 4th one wasn't my fav but loved the rest of them

helenh

so tell me Sue....are you an Edward or Jacob fan?

LOL

off to listen to your link

helenh

It's hard to fault Edward but you would have to have a heart of stone not to feel for Jacob

faerywings

The Loopy-O
CHEERY O
I finished the 4th one last week- what a good series!
Scott and Caitlyn are both on Book 2- we have had a lot of revolving borrowing of books LOL

I need another parent's opinion on letting Caitlyn (10) read Book 4.
****Possible spoiler******

Parts of the one situation seemed a bit graphic.......with bones breaking........
Do you think it would be appropriate for a 10 yo to read it? I am torn. Vampire violence is one thing- total fantasy, but this seemed..... Oh I hate to say "real" but YKWIM??

TaraLyn

Not sure...I just started the first one this weekend and I'm not very far into it. While I'd like to chat, I'm afraid it would give to much away at this point. :(

t_a_l_i

Chris - hmmm, that is a hard one. Book 4 is pretty graphic. I guess it would depend on her maturity level for that kind of thing. Do you think it would scare her?

I'm a total Edward fan. Completely. :D

lockhart0_1

Okay people!!! I just finished book 3 and I'm totally irritated!!!!! Why would Meyer create a character like Bella. That girl is ridiculous, I physically loathe her. This book was written for teens right? SO why would you write a character that is so needy, selfish and pathetic? Is she a character that you would want your daughter to be like? I keep waiting for her character to "develop" along the way, but it just doesn't seem to happen. I'm reading because of Edward and Jacob.

Edward fan!

livelifejoyfully

aka Sue Cummings
Designer
Okay people!!! I just finished book 3 and I'm totally irritated!!!!! Why would Meyer create a character like Bella. That girl is ridiculous, I physically loathe her. This book was written for teens right? SO why would you write a character that is so needy, selfish and pathetic? Is she a character that you would want your daughter to be like? I keep waiting for her character to "develop" along the way, but it just doesn't seem to happen. I'm reading because of Edward and Jacob.

Edward fan!

That's disappointing...I had hoped Bella would grow and not be so selfish...but I guess not. Starting Book 3 tomorrow I hope. I still have lots of stuff to put into the store before I do that! EEeeekkkkk!!! I so want to read!

clarabear

always chatty at the O!!
Bella is pretty selfish, but I don't think any more than any other teenager that thinks they are a grown up but aren't.

So have you guys heard that for the second movie they are talking about doing a rewrite so that Edward has a bigger role in the movie? I think this is disappointing. Like I said, I really like Jacob. He's the boy next door, ya know? I like that Bella ends up with Edward, of course. But I have a soft spot for Jacob and I think the relationship that he and Bella build is a big deal in the story.

okay...one last little thing...is it me or is Renesme the stupidest name on earth? That's the best they could come up with? Lame-O!!

Chris...I'm not sure about the book for your daughter. But I didn't read it with that in mind so I wasn't looking at it like that. I do have to say I like how she does the romance scenes. Very non-descriptive yet in a loving way.

kaytebug

I finished the 4th one last week- what a good series!
Scott and Caitlyn are both on Book 2- we have had a lot of revolving borrowing of books LOL

I need another parent's opinion on letting Caitlyn (10) read Book 4.

i haven't read it (I'm waiting for a friend to bring me book 2.....

...but just had this conversation with one of my fifth graders yesterday...he said book four was "rough" to read.....I mentioned the "marriage" scene - had already talked with my cousin thru that....so I knew about it....

He just said it was a "hard" read for him...

---------------
New series

The Hunger Games - the first of three books. OH MY....I couldn't stop listening to it (on my iPod...).....I can't WAIT for the other two books to come out. Gut wrenching....one of the best reads I've had in A LONG TIME.

----------
I really am not getting into Twilight. Hoping book 2 will "hook" me into the series....

Bella is like a lot of the teenage girls I work with.....they grow up so fast about some things, and other things, well.....they are "dramatic".....so she's not an "unusual" portrayal of a teenager in my world....

Genevieve

Ninja Admin
I read them... I'm not a huge fan of Bella either. She just seems so vapid to me. I believe there's a Facebook flair that says it best: "Edward can't read Bella's mind because she doesn't have one." LOL :) But I *mostly* liked the books. I like Edward, but Jacob seems more real to me. Until book 4, and then he's just annoying.

t_a_l_i

Gen - that really is perfect!!!

I did read that about the rewrite for the movie. I will admit to being happy about it as I'm not really a Jacob fan. Especially in book 4, I was really anti-Jacob in that book.

And I agree on the name, Clara. I love the name Esme but that whole Renesme thing just gives me a headache. lol

Also, and I said this to a friend, I don't like the big-forehead chick from Grey's Anatomy that they cast as Esme. :D Just a little beef I have.

i've read the whole series up to midnight sun
and im not a bella fan either.
id rather have me as edwards partner
hahah!!lol!!
jokin!!
i also dont like the name of reneesme.
kind of tacky for me.
but twilight is a really good back so why bother??
:]

I think I read all the books in about 3 weeks and what can I say? It was love at first sight. I am reading the first one again right now (in German, read them in English before) but I have to say I prefer them in English.
I am a huge Jacob fan even tho I love Edward just as much probably.