Oscraps

Best Gift Ever

Scrapmemories

Lorraine
What’s the best family Christmas gift you’ve ever received?

Hands down the best gift I ever received was the biggest surprise too. My daughter couldn't walk for 5 years and she surprised me 10 years ago by walking across the living room. At first I felt like I thought I was hallucinating and then I cried like a baby. She had practiced for months to surprise me.

There is a saying that at the end of ones life they don't remember the tangible things of life but the experiences. I'd love to hear yours.

faerywings

The Loopy-O
CHEERY O
Oh my goodness, I cannot imagine that, Lorraine. I would have been sobbing like a baby along with you.

I have a couple of smaller experiences. One was an Alex and Ani bracelet from my BFF. I had just had a breast biopsy come back positive for cancer cells but was not telling my family (my DH and kids knew of course) until after Christmas. She had bought the bracelet-- for strength- before the results came back but it became a talisman of sorts through the next few months.
Another one was a joint gift from my son's girlfriend and her mom. Our cat had recently died and he was my kids' protector for years. He was everything to them. His name was Merlin and somehow, they found a nutcracker statue of the wizard Merlin with a black cat (our Merlin was black of course!). Leah had written a story of Merlin, how he came to be part of our family (we rescued him- or, he actually chose us as most rescues do LOL), how he watched over the kids and the family through some pretty hard times for them. How he was on the Rainbow Bridge - still watching over them. I could not stop crying- the sadness of losing him just a few weeks earlier, that connection he had with my babies- the sweetness of the fairy tale that told the story from his POV. All of it is still so very special.

You are 100% right about looking back and seeing it isn't the *things*- it is the experiences, the emotions, the love that makers it all worthwhile. :love:

Danesa

Danesa
My "best" is an experience also. Last December, two days before Christmas, after 10 months of chemo, radiation and 3 surgeries ... I was pronounced cancer free! What a gift!!!! I am blessed. My next CT scan is early February and its always a bit scary, but I am most positive it will show that I remain cancer free.

And, how can I forget that this year I am a QB (Queen Bella) grandmother, for the first Christmas ever!!! :)

Jeannette

CHEERY O
LOL, for about 5 years now, I get some present for my husband and the kids. The kids love it, but my husband always turns red a bit and mumbles: but we didn't talk about giving each other a present, did we? Because I didn't not get you anything.
I reply: I know dear, you always forget to surprise me, so I bought my own present. :rofl:

bcgal00

CHEERY O
LOL, for about 5 years now, I get some present for my husband and the kids. The kids love it, but my husband always turns red a bit and mumbles: but we didn't talk about giving each other a present, did we? Because I didn't not get you anything.
I reply: I know dear, you always forget to surprise me, so I bought my own present. :rofl:

I had a laugh at your answer. My husband can never remember if an upcoming occasion is one where we exchange gifts or cards LOL. Sometimes I have bought my own gift too :)

The best gift lately was a $1 pink wooden disk that says "grama" on it, that Bailey secretly picked out and bought for me when we were at a craft fair a few wks ago. She gave it to me right away which is good b/c with no short term memory she would have forgotten about it if she had waited. I will cherish it forever. Even with her brain deficit and all she has been through these past few yrs, she still has the warmest heart of anyone I know.

Scrapmemories

Lorraine
OMG that is so bittersweet and lovely at the same time. What wonderful children you have. I know all too well the loss of a pet. I'm so happy your biopsy came back positive. it's a frightening feeling not knowing. thanks for sharing these beautiful moments in your life

Oh my goodness, I cannot imagine that, Lorraine. I would have been sobbing like a baby along with you.

I have a couple of smaller experiences. One was an Alex and Ani bracelet from my BFF. I had just had a breast biopsy come back positive for cancer cells but was not telling my family (my DH and kids knew of course) until after Christmas. She had bought the bracelet-- for strength- before the results came back but it became a talisman of sorts through the next few months.
Another one was a joint gift from my son's girlfriend and her mom. Our cat had recently died and he was my kids' protector for years. He was everything to them. His name was Merlin and somehow, they found a nutcracker statue of the wizard Merlin with a black cat (our Merlin was black of course!). Leah had written a story of Merlin, how he came to be part of our family (we rescued him- or, he actually chose us as most rescues do LOL), how he watched over the kids and the family through some pretty hard times for them. How he was on the Rainbow Bridge - still watching over them. I could not stop crying- the sadness of losing him just a few weeks earlier, that connection he had with my babies- the sweetness of the fairy tale that told the story from his POV. All of it is still so very special.

You are 100% right about looking back and seeing it isn't the *things*- it is the experiences, the emotions, the love that makers it all worthwhile. :love:

Scrapmemories

Lorraine
I was screaming all the way in Florida at the great news of you being cancer free. I have a good feeling about February too!
and QB- woot. that grandbaby is so lovely

My "best" is an experience also. Last December, two days before Christmas, after 10 months of chemo, radiation and 3 surgeries ... I was pronounced cancer free! What a gift!!!! I am blessed. My next CT scan is early February and its always a bit scary, but I am most positive it will show that I remain cancer free.

And, how can I forget that this year I am a QB (Queen Bella) grandmother, for the first Christmas ever!!! :)

Scrapmemories

Lorraine
Oh how sweet that they were so sneaky!!! I love it. It doesn't matter when you get it, it's that you were thought of

I had a laugh at your answer. My husband can never remember if an upcoming occasion is one where we exchange gifts or cards LOL. Sometimes I have bought my own gift too :)

The best gift lately was a $1 pink wooden disk that says "grama" on it, that Bailey secretly picked out and bought for me when we were at a craft fair a few wks ago. She gave it to me right away which is good b/c with no short term memory she would have forgotten about it if she had waited. I will cherish it forever. Even with her brain deficit and all she has been through these past few yrs, she still has the warmest heart of anyone I know.

Scrapmemories

Lorraine
One day you will get surprised!!! but it sure is funny that you buy your own.

veer

I love the "O"
CHEERY O

The most beautiful gifts you can get Danesa !!

Hope your result in february will be good, fingers crossed <3

veer

I love the "O"
CHEERY O
What’s the best family Christmas gift you’ve ever received?

Hands down the best gift I ever received was the biggest surprise too. My daughter couldn't walk for 5 years and she surprised me 10 years ago by walking across the living room. At first I felt like I thought I was hallucinating and then I cried like a baby. She had practiced for months to surprise me.

There is a saying that at the end of ones life they don't remember the tangible things of life but the experiences. I'd love to hear yours.

What a wonderful gift <3