Oscraps

Are you a collector?

AZK

Queen of the Universe
CHEERY O
As in, is there something that you collect as a hobby (besides scrapbooking supplies ;))?

I collect rabbits. Not live ones, :p but art. It started back when my girls were little and friends/relatives gave them gifts like Peter Rabbit dishes, some lovely stuffed rabbits wearing vintage dresses, a little pillow that had a rabbit appliqued on the front and had a music box inside, and so on. Those things were so darn cute and since they had a somewhat common theme, I started buying rabbit-themed objects to coordinate, and while my girls outgrew them, I didn't. One wall of my living room is devoted to a collage of art prints, tiles, and figurines that all feature rabbits. I'm pretty selective about the rabbits I acquire; I don't like anything too cutesy or mainstream.

I also collect folk art. I don't have expensive pieces but I have some prints by Charles Wysocki and Warren Kimble.

Cherylndesigns

I'm in The Zone ~ The "O" Zone
CHEERY O
I have a small camera collection. Besides my Nikon DSLR, I have my original SLR, my grandfather's Brownie box camera and a few antique cameras that I've picked up over the years. I love baseball caps and have a bunch of them and I collect funny T-shirts. The shirt I wore today says "Zero Days Without Sarcasm" on the front. I have lots of boots, too. I guess I do collect things. LOL

tanteva

all i need is Oscraps, cOffee, chOcOlate & tOfu
I sort of have this dream of being a collector. It seems to be so much fun trying to get a complete collection. I mean the hunt. So .... I've started on many collections, and then I never really get into it. I have a couple of book series I think I'm gonna get all of. Turtles. Buddha figurines. Plush toys. and so on. But I never really get caught. I just fantasies about be a collector, and have more of less ended up a confused hoarder. LOL

I guess the only thing I really collect are old books of Jehovah's Witnesses. Weird, I know. But I wrote my thesis on their theology, and they are intriguing. (No, I'm not, nor have I ever been a JW ... just a nerd).

faerywings

The Loopy-O
CHEERY O
I am not actively collecting anything ATM but we used to collect Disney/Mickey Mouse items. I have a glass cabinet that holds different statues/knick-knacks, stuff we picked up on vacation or from McDonald's Happy meals ;)
I still get Disney gifts from family but now it is more practical items- a new flour canister or utensil holder for the kitchen

LSlycord

I have 50+ music boxes. I started collecting them when I was in college...lots of them were gifts. I had an entire china cabinet full of them, with some decorating table tops and dressers. I now have no place for them so they are in boxes in storage from when we moved. I can't bring my self to get rid of them...which is stupid. But, it's how I roll.

We also collected Dept. 56 houses for a long time...but decided when the kids were little that they weren't practical and we sold those. When we travel, I now collect magnets from each destination...and they can usually be found on my refrigerator.

BrightEyes

Kay
CHEERY O
My biggest collection is books. I have favorite authors and collect all the series/books they write. They have over-flowed the bookcases so I am now in the process of trying to get rid of some of them. But, of course, I want to read them before I get rid of them! LOL

And my Movie DVD collection is growing by leaps and bounds!

I also have 2 large sets of Christmas Villages. I haven't set them up in the last 6 years as it takes several days to put them up.

*gina*

CHEERY O
We have over 600 LP's but then came cd's and mp3 and so it wasn't the same - besides, today's music mostly I don't like it - only some songs. And I still have most of the tickets from the concerts that I've attended.

LSlycord

We have over 600 LP's but then came cd's and mp3 and so it wasn't the same - besides, today's music mostly I don't like it - only some songs. And I still have most of the tickets from the concerts that I've attended.
That's an amazing LP collection!

AZK

Queen of the Universe
CHEERY O
Not anymore. I used to collect music boxes for my daughter when she was little. Now sadly DD took her favourites and the rest went to the Sally Ann.
My girls all have Precious Moments figurines that were given to them over the years. They're all stored in boxes in MY back room. :confused: I haven't quite gotten up the nerve to give them away, although I know the girls don't want them.

AZK

Queen of the Universe
CHEERY O
I have a small camera collection. Besides my Nikon DSLR, I have my original SLR, my grandfather's Brownie box camera and a few antique cameras that I've picked up over the years. I love baseball caps and have a bunch of them and I collect funny T-shirts. The shirt I wore today says "Zero Days Without Sarcasm" on the front. I have lots of boots, too. I guess I do collect things. LOL
Own it, Cheryl!

AZK

Queen of the Universe
CHEERY O
When I see an old camera at a flea market and the price is reasonable ... I usually buy it ... Very often the prices are too high for me ...
A woman I used to CT for who is now a very sucessful professional photographer also collects old cameras. I know they can be very popular.

AZK

Queen of the Universe
CHEERY O
I sort of have this dream of being a collector. It seems to be so much fun trying to get a complete collection. I mean the hunt. So .... I've started on many collections, and then I never really get into it. I have a couple of book series I think I'm gonna get all of. Turtles. Buddha figurines. Plush toys. and so on. But I never really get caught. I just fantasies about be a collector, and have more of less ended up a confused hoarder. LOL

I guess the only thing I really collect are old books of Jehovah's Witnesses. Weird, I know. But I wrote my thesis on their theology, and they are intriguing. (No, I'm not, nor have I ever been a JW ... just a nerd).
That's really intersting, Eva! I used to collect old children's books that I would find at estate sales, etc. My first acquisition was a copy of The Secret Garden from 1934, but I have some other books that are older. I stopped after a while because I was running out of room to display them, and it didn't make sense to buy them and then keep them in a box..

AZK

Queen of the Universe
CHEERY O
I have 50+ music boxes. I started collecting them when I was in college...lots of them were gifts. I had an entire china cabinet full of them, with some decorating table tops and dressers. I now have no place for them so they are in boxes in storage from when we moved. I can't bring my self to get rid of them...which is stupid. But, it's how I roll.

See my comment above about my daughters' Precious Moments, figurines, lol.

AZK

Queen of the Universe
CHEERY O
My biggest collection is books. I have favorite authors and collect all the series/books they write. They have over-flowed the bookcases so I am now in the process of trying to get rid of some of them. But, of course, I want to read them before I get rid of them! LOL

And my Movie DVD collection is growing by leaps and bounds!

I also have 2 large sets of Christmas Villages. I haven't set them up in the last 6 years as it takes several days to put them up.
My daughter is a book collector too. In her new home her extra bedroom is going to be her official library.

AZK

Queen of the Universe
CHEERY O

LP's are coming back into popularity!

AnaSantos

The O is Awesome
CHEERY O
It may seem silly but I used to collect pencils, I had hundreds. I currently don't collect anything.

Reactions: AZK

Madi

Diane
CHEERY O
Nutcrackers
Matroesjka dolls
Pinocchio
printing block letters
pill boxes

but only for fun, I am not a serious collector, I have no lists of what I have and only buy at thriftshops.
probably have lots of doubles in my collections.

Amandajk

At one time I was collecting roosters. It started when we lived in Honduras- they are iconic there. You can hear them crowing even in the capital city!! Ha ha. But recently I have lost interest. I DO love copper though- so I guess you could say I have a small copper collection!

bcgal00

CHEERY O
I have purged a lot this last year so my collection of cookbooks has dwindled but I still have a lot. I used to also collect magazines, buying 10-20 a month. I had a wall full of shelves that were filled mostly with magazines. I finally purged the magazines before we moved this year.

AZK

Queen of the Universe
CHEERY O
Nutcrackers
Matroesjka dolls
Pinocchio
printing block letters
pill boxes

but only for fun, I am not a serious collector, I have no lists of what I have and only buy at thriftshops.
probably have lots of doubles in my collections.
That is a wonderful variety, Diane! I don't buy expensive pieces either, just what appeals to me.

AZK

Queen of the Universe
CHEERY O
At one time I was collecting roosters. It started when we lived in Honduras- they are iconic there. You can hear them crowing even in the capital city!! Ha ha. But recently I have lost interest. I DO love copper though- so I guess you could say I have a small copper collection!
Ooh, that sounds nice! Do you have to maintain the copper pieces or do you let them tarnish if they want? I know sometimes that adds to the appeal.

AZK

Queen of the Universe
CHEERY O
I have purged a lot this last year so my collection of cookbooks has dwindled but I still have a lot. I used to also collect magazines, buying 10-20 a month. I had a wall full of shelves that were filled mostly with magazines. I finally purged the magazines before we moved this year.
Wow that's a lot of magazines! I can see how moving them would have been a challenge.

vivaartistry

Designer
I have a couple of first edition books, prints/plates/ceramics from bjorn wiinblad (LOVE his whimsical imagery), oddball Japanese Kokeshi dolls, and lots of raku pottery. Too much stuff...I'm trying to hold myself back.