Oscraps

Any Wonderful School Photos or Stories Out There?

Susan - s3js

CHEERY O
I recently found some photos of both my parents from their high school yearbooks. It was so cool to see them as teens. I suddenly realized that they must have met in school because they didn't seem to move in the same circles or share the same interests, but I'd never thought about it. Daddy was ahead of her and left school to join the Navy. It didn't click together until I saw they attended the same school. I never knew that, neither of them have ever spoken about it. Momma didn't respond to my question about it, so I didn't press her years ago. Now that she and my Dad are in kind of regular contact, she might answer. Or I can ask him. They married before she graduated and, putting 2 and 2 together, she got pregnant the winter of her senior year. In the 50s if you got pregnant, you had to leave school, so she must have hidden it well, because graduate she did and on time, too!

I'll get some LOs done and see where they lead. Any good stories out there?

Robloz55

My parents met at church because they went to different high schools. As far as I know their schools did not do year books. I'm not sure that it was a common thing to do in NZ in the 1950s. I do not recall ever receiving a yearbook when I was at HS in the 1980s either.

I do have one class photo of my dad when he was in elementary school. And a couple of pics of my mother when she was at high school. Plus all my own school class photos as well.

Cherylndesigns

I'm in The Zone ~ The "O" Zone
CHEERY O
My parents met in Choral Club in high school. Dad was a year ahead of Mom, and they got married as soon as she
graduated. Mom always told the story about seeing Dad walk into the music room for the first time. She said she looked at him and said "That's for me!"

mom-high-school.jpgDAD SR PIC.jpg

Susan - s3js

CHEERY O
My parents met in Choral Club in high school. Dad was a year ahead of Mom, and they got married as soon as she
graduated. Mom always told the story about seeing Dad walk into the music room for the first time. She said she looked at him and said "That's for me!"

View attachment 378795View attachment 378796
Gorgeous photos. They are a striking couple! and what a sweet story!

LSlycord

View attachment 378795View attachment 378796
Dang girl...they were a gorgeous couple. I think we may need a layout with these photos!

LSlycord

My Mom and Dad met in her senior year of high school but they were both living in the same small town. While my dad was in the service, his mom moved to St. Charles. When he came back stateside, he had a new hometown. Thank goodness for that move!

Amandajk

My parents went to High School together. I think they started dating as Freshmen? I should ask! Found a pic in my files of Madison High.
Mom mentioned once when I was a teenager that she wished she hadn't been so flirtatious. Later on, we girls realized that our oldest sister was born May of 52 but Mom and Dad were married in Oct. of 51... she was carrying Deb when they married. Wonder if that's why they didn't have a "church" wedding? The photo of Dad in a suit is their wedding photo. We have never told Mom or Dad that we figured this out, lol. So @Susan - s3js , we have that in common. Ha. Well, they've lasted 70 years!!IMG_1691.JPGHighSchoolSweetheart.jpgIMG_1967.JPG

Last edited:

pachimac

I solemnly swear I am up to no good!
CHEERY O
I have quite a few heritage layouts, but they aren't with oScraps products so I can't show them. Here is my Mom's Senior picture. She had a 103 degree fever and was 3 months pregnant when this picture was taken. She finished her senior year with some creative hiding of her stomach...I cut her picture out of the layout it was in...

My Dad never graduated high school. His little brother was kicked out and my Dad went to the principal to try to convince him NOT to kick him out, but the principal was firm. My Dad said "If you won't keep my brother, I won't stay either" and the principal said "Fine, you can go with him!"

MissingMom.jpg

Susan - s3js

CHEERY O
My parents went to High School together. I think they started dating as Freshmen? I should ask! Found a pic in my files of Madison High.
Mom mentioned once when I was a teenager that she wished she hadn't been so flirtatious. Later on, we girls realized that our oldest sister was born May of 52 but Mom and Dad were married in Oct. of 51... she was carrying Deb when they married. Wonder if that's why they didn't have a "church" wedding? The photo of Dad in a suit is their wedding photo. We have never told Mom or Dad that we figured this out, lol. So @Susan - s3js , we have that in common. Ha. Well, they've lasted 70 years!!View attachment 379213View attachment 379216View attachment 379217
These photos are fabulous, Amanda! You are so lucky to have them!

Susan - s3js

CHEERY O
I have quite a few heritage layouts, but they aren't with oScraps products so I can't show them. Here is my Mom's Senior picture. She had a 103 degree fever and was 3 months pregnant when this picture was taken. She finished her senior year with some creative hiding of her stomach...I cut her picture out of the layout it was in...

My Dad never graduated high school. His little brother was kicked out and my Dad went to the principal to try to convince him NOT to kick him out, but the principal was firm. My Dad said "If you won't keep my brother, I won't stay either" and the principal said "Fine, you can go with him!"

View attachment 379231
Wow! Not much of a principal was he? She was sick and pregnant? You would never have known it. Gorgeous woman!

LSlycord

Mom mentioned once when I was a teenager that she wished she hadn't been so flirtatious. Later on, we girls realized that our oldest sister was born May of 52 but Mom and Dad were married in Oct. of 51... she was carrying Deb when they married. Wonder if that's why they didn't have a "church" wedding? The photo of Dad in a suit is their wedding photo. We have never told Mom or Dad that we figured this out, lol. So @Susan - s3js , we have that in common. Ha. Well, they've lasted 70 years!!View attachment 379213View attachment 379216View attachment 379217
What great photos!

LSlycord

View attachment 379231
Things were so incredibly different then. Your mom was a beautiful lady!

veer

I love the "O"
CHEERY O
My grandparents had a cafe, and my mother was behind the bar in her teens. My father came from another village and regularly came for a drink. That's how he got to know my mother.
On the first picture my mom is on the left, my uncle and my aunt.
The second picture my mom and my grandmother.
My dad on his bike on the way to the cafe. And on the last picture i think they some fun outside the cafe.
1.jpg

bomma en oma.jpg
1907857_10201949092223852_504532858_o   1956.jpg010.jpg

Attachments

• 010.jpg
    010.jpg
    138.4 KB · Views: 0

Susan - s3js

CHEERY O
My grandparents had a cafe, and my mother was behind the bar in her teens. My father came from another village and regularly came for a drink. That's how he got to know my mother.
On the first picture my mom is on the left, my uncle and my aunt.
The second picture my mom and my grandmother.
My dad on his bike on the way to the cafe. And on the last picture i think they some fun outside the cafe.
View attachment 379356

View attachment 379357
View attachment 379359View attachment 379361
Wow! I LOVE your photos, Vera! Beautiful people in your family!

EvelynD2

CHEERY O
My story is a bit sad. We were in the process of moving when my dad passed away and all of his and mom's things were being taken care of. I did not realize that their photo albums were not taken by my brothers but were thrown away. I am lucky that I had the habit of squirreling away some of the photos from the albums over the years. Otherwise I would not have the handful of photos I do have. :(

Susan - s3js

CHEERY O
My story is a bit sad. We were in the process of moving when my dad passed away and all of his and mom's things were being taken care of. I did not realize that their photo albums were not taken by my brothers but were thrown away. I am lucky that I had the habit of squirreling away some of the photos from the albums over the years. Otherwise I would not have the handful of photos I do have. :(
That would have brokeen my heart. That almost happened with my much-loved mother-in-law's albumns. My now ex put them out for Angel's Attic to pickup from their carport as he left her home where he had cared for both his step-father and his mother as they declines. Because of the circumstances of John's leaving his brother asked me to go make sure everything was clean and all her things gone before the realtor got there to stage it. He had left a hugh amount of her things there, things both my children and myself treasured - and the photo albums out in the weathe, wet and chewed on by mice. I salvaged them, scanned what I didn't have and gave them to my brother-in-law when he asked what John had done with them. It was a lucky save although her big one with photos from the 1920s-1960s was gone. Fortunately I had scanned that one completely so Mark now has photos he had never seen.

pachimac

I solemnly swear I am up to no good!
CHEERY O
That would have broken my heart. That almost happened with my much-loved mother-in-law's albumns. My now ex put them out for Angel's Attic to pickup from their carport as he left her home where he had cared for both his step-father and his mother as they declines. Because of the circumstances of John's leaving his brother asked me to go make sure everything was clean and all her things gone before the realtor got there to stage it. He had left a hugh amount of her things there, things both my children and myself treasured - and the photo albums out in the weathe, wet and chewed on by mice. I salvaged them, scanned what I didn't have and gave them to my brother-in-law when he asked what John had done with them. It was a lucky save although her big one with photos from the 1920s-1960s was gone. Fortunately I had scanned that one completely so Mark now has photos he had never seen.

Both those stories break my heart too, and unfortunately I have one as well, and it's haunting me right now. When my Grampa died, my uncle Larry (who basically left the family behind) said to my Dad "I guess I'll see you again when Mom dies..." and that was the truth. Gramma died a year later, and my Dad was the executor of the estate. A week after Gramma died, he went to inventory the house and walked into the house trashed. At first he thought it was a robbery, but then reality dawned: Larry had come and taken everything of value out of the house and even took the car which was supposed to go to my cousin. In the middle of the living room was a trash can, and it was filled with letters, cards, and photos along with the trash. We dug out what we could, but some were damaged by liquid and other trash they threw in on top of them. The amount of family history and old photos lost makes me sick inside.

Here's where it's haunting me right now: I never did work on forgiving him for what he did. My cousin just texted me and told me that my Uncle had a significant stroke and she was on the way to be with him. Part of me is still very angry at how he disrespected us and our family, but he's blood! I can't work up any sorrow for him right now, and that really haunts me. I'm not normally an unemotional unforgiving person. :(

EvelynD2

CHEERY O
Both those stories break my heart too, and unfortunately I have one as well, and it's haunting me right now. When my Grampa died, my uncle Larry (who basically left the family behind) said to my Dad "I guess I'll see you again when Mom dies..." and that was the truth. Gramma died a year later, and my Dad was the executor of the estate. A week after Gramma died, he went to inventory the house and walked into the house trashed. At first he thought it was a robbery, but then reality dawned: Larry had come and taken everything of value out of the house and even took the car which was supposed to go to my cousin. In the middle of the living room was a trash can, and it was filled with letters, cards, and photos along with the trash. We dug out what we could, but some were damaged by liquid and other trash they threw in on top of them. The amount of family history and old photos lost makes me sick inside.

Here's where it's haunting me right now: I never did work on forgiving him for what he did. My cousin just texted me and told me that my Uncle had a significant stroke and she was on the way to be with him. Part of me is still very angry at how he disrespected us and our family, but he's blood! I can't work up any sorrow for him right now, and that really haunts me. I'm not normally an unemotional unforgiving person. :(
That is so sad! It is hard to believe how some people act when a relative dies. It seems to bring the worst out in some people. I am so glad you were able to salvage some of the photographs and letters.

EvelynD2

CHEERY O
That would have broken my heart. That almost happened with my much-loved mother-in-law's albumns. My now ex put them out for Angel's Attic to pickup from their carport as he left her home where he had cared for both his step-father and his mother as they declines. Because of the circumstances of John's leaving his brother asked me to go make sure everything was clean and all her things gone before the realtor got there to stage it. He had left a hugh amount of her things there, things both my children and myself treasured - and the photo albums out in the weathe, wet and chewed on by mice. I salvaged them, scanned what I didn't have and gave them to my brother-in-law when he asked what John had done with them. It was a lucky save although her big one with photos from the 1920s-1960s was gone. Fortunately I had scanned that one completely so Mark now has photos he had never seen.
I am so glad that you were able to salvage some of your mother-in-laws photographs. I know how much photographs mean. Once time passes on, photographs and memories are all we have left of those occasions and, often, people.

Susan - s3js

CHEERY O

Oh, Susie! That is beyond sad - and horrible. Not you, him. That said, I pray for your sake you can find the grace to forgive him. That kind of baggage tends to poison us, as you have discovered. And it haunts us. I have to ask myself every time I have something like this happen if it's worth my serenity to hold onto it. I'm not angry or unemotional either, but when I can't shake off the anger the result is not pretty. If I can help, I'm only a message away.