Oscraps

Anna's fotoblendz

Tamsin

I'm assuming these are clipping masks? Does anyone have a tip for beginners on how to use them in simpler scraps to best effect.

I'm inspired by Vivre's Winter Beauty - it's in the gallery now - but I'm a beginner and no where near that standard of excellence.

I'm self taught that's all and sometimes you need a few things pointed out - well more than a few LOL

Just want a few clues I guess. Thanks :smile:

mrstoa

mrstoa
Anna has a small manual in the Freebies at the shop. Check that out. Also her blog has tutorial files. annaaspnesdesigns.com
Be sure to sign up for her newsletter!

I'm not an expert hopefully someone can give you more help.
These will start you off.

Check one of her kits and it gives links.

Tamsin

Thank you Jacqueline. I have Anna's manual on my order list and I suppose should just wait till I've downloaded it. The order isn't finalized yet that's all. I keep finding more and more stuff to add LOL I might bite the bullet and order today and leave the rest till another day.

I've visited the blog also but couldn't find mention of fotoblendz. Did check out the tutorial on using transfers as masks and found the deconstruct very helpful. What I do so like about her kits is knowing I can use one with the other. I have ordered 3 to start with I think LOL

Thanks for reminding me to sign up for the newsletter. Will do that now.

SharLamb

Sharron
Place a photo on a layer above one of the fotoblendz, then clip them together (hover your mouse between the two layers until a little circle forms, click the alt key, then left click the mouse). This is just to give you an idea of what can happen. Experiment with different photos and fotoblendz. :)

Tamsin

Thanks! I'm looking forward to playing with them but also wondering if there's a link to a deconstruct or to layouts that show some different effects/ideas that aren't necessarily too complicated. I find it helps if you can see what others do - gives you a starting point. I guess the manual will tell me most if not all I want to know though.

I really love clipping masks and it's one photoshop shortcut I know by heart LOL

whatnext

can i just say that the trick with FotoBlendz is to try everything! the possibilities are endless. clip photos to them. clip paper to them. recolor them and use them as background. layer them after having done one or more of the above. let them peek out from behind your photo. believe me. limitless possibilities! (to clip stuff to masks, put the paper or photo ABOVE the clipping mask in the layers pallette, then, with the paper or photo selected, do a Ctrl-G on a PC, and i imagine it's Command-G on an Apple.) also, you might find Fiona's tutorial on Anna Aspnes' blog instructive:http://annaaspnes.typepad.com/anna/2012/01/tutorial-using-transfers-as-mask.html

Last edited by a moderator:

Tamsin

Phylis, that was the tutorial I found earlier and it's great. Thanks for your ideas - never thought of clipping paper to a mask before. Yes the possibilities are so many I don't know where to start LOL Well I do now - shall try clipping some paper to a mask. This is great fun. Thanks.

mrstoa

mrstoa
Tasmin - sorry I gave you the wrong blog address! I was on my IPad and have yet to figure out how to copy and paste (DUH) Anna had some videos on youtube if you search for Anna Aspnes - I'm not certain they,'re still their.

Oh, the book is free so why don't you download it and put the rest of the order later.

You're absolutely correct about Anna's kits - buy a few in various colour palettes and you're set for a day or two :)

The only problem is they're addictive :biggrin1:

Have fun!

faerywings

The Loopy-O
CHEERY O
Tasmin-- the absolute best thing about Anna's kits is that you literally can't go wrong when you use them. I can't remember if it was Phyllis or Maureen that said its like being Jackson Pollack. Throw stuff on your paper and have fun.

I tend to use the fotoblends tucked behind papers/photos or hanging off the sides of the pages. I recolor them using the Color Overlay in the layer effects palette. Very easy!

(and ITA with Jaq-- so addicting!!)

donnagoar

Tamsin, looks like you have some great links and ideas here to PLAY with! Enjoy and look forward to seeing what you create.