Oscraps

about fonts and word art

Tamsin

Sometimes I have the hardest trouble trying to find just the right font for a page. Sometimes word art would be perfect but I can't find the words I want either. The right font can make all the difference that's all.

Does anyone have tips on how to narrow it down or is it just an instinctive thing?

Have there been any challenges where the font had to be a highlight or different fonts used together on one page.

Just want some ideas. Thanks!

clarabear

always chatty at the O!!
I have the same trouble. I try and find wordart for pages before I create them when I can. If you have a Mac FontBook is nice to help you narrow down the fonts. You can categorize them. I'll have to watch this thread so I can get some good answers too. :)

jenevang

I am a Font Addict! I tend to spend a lot of time perusing my fonts in search of the perfect one, and sometimes I just highlight the word, then scroll through my fonts, seeing how each "looks" on my word. Quick and easy!

Tamsin

Glad I'm not the only one Clarabear :sad: LOL I have a PC still unfortunately but a new Mac is on my horizon. Can't wait.

Jenevang, what a good idea although I don't think I'd have the patience to do it every time. I don't have many extra fonts on board yet anyway.

It's very time consuming hunting down fonts. I'm thinking of making a list. Wonder if anyone else has. Only thing with lists they can get very long and you're back to square one.

Last edited by a moderator:

mrstoa

mrstoa
I use a lot of fonts from Fonts for Peas

http://www.kevinandamanda.com/fonts/

PeaRoni and PeaOlson are two of love my favourites:

From my old desktop publishing days the rule was no more than 3 different ones on a page. With my layouts I generally use one for journal and one for titles

Hootie is good for titles (certain pages) as is Pupcat - they are all free fonts.

hope this helps.

Bush Girl

I have hundreds and hundreds of fonts, all vaguely categorised in FontBook, which I love. But you know the truth is, I come back to the same fonts over and over. I'm a bit of a motormouth journaling wise on my layouts so an easy to read block of words is essential as far as I'm concerned, so I personally, tend not to use script fonts.

These are my favourites:

serif font - Times New Roman
sans serif - Myriad Pro
handwriting - Darcy Baldwin has some great fonts
typewriter - VT Portable Remington
grunge - Trashed, Smudgers, Downcome
fun - FFF, Clementine Sketch

There - I named them all without even opening FontBook!

Tamsin

Thanks girls - have been making notes. Will be able to use Myriad font and portable remington for sure.

Like pupcat too.

Thanks for all the clues :)

Tamsin

Kimberly Geswein has awesome free fonts you may want to try:

Wow! I think I'll be lost in there for the rest of the day LOL

Can I share a couple I've found meanwhile that someone might like.

Ostrich Sans - font squirrel
Matilde - from the Type Depot

hondachicc

I am a Font Addict! I tend to spend a lot of time perusing my fonts in search of the perfect one, and sometimes I just highlight the word, then scroll through my fonts, seeing how each "looks" on my word. Quick and easy!

I DO THIS TOO JEN :laugh:

whatnext

when i'm having trouble chosing the right font, i just highlight my words on the page, then scroll through EVERY font i have, to see how it looks with what i've done on the page. it's been my experience that, when you hit on the right one, you KNOW it!

petey111

SERIOUSLY....You people know I already have 1603 fonts...you want to push me over the edge?????

I have Font Book on my Mac, but there was something free very similar I had on my PC before I switched over. I'll have to try to remember what it was called. You could type what you want and preview it with the font.

yvonnahenna

when i'm having trouble chosing the right font, i just highlight my words on the page, then scroll through EVERY font i have, to see how it looks with what i've done on the page. it's been my experience that, when you hit on the right one, you KNOW it!

Same here! I ♥ doing that! LOL

faerywings

The Loopy-O
CHEERY O
aahhhhhhhhh!!! Sara I know that i am up there with you and the number of fonts. Most of mine are not installed, I just load them for when i need them in scrapping.

T- I have ACDSee Photo Manager so i have my fonts stored in different folders based on style and I can load them into Photoshop from there.

The ones that you girls have mentions-- I don't recognize most of them, so guess what i am doing today!? :bounce:

Some of my faves are CK Penman, papyrus, 1942 report.

faerywings

The Loopy-O
CHEERY O
Oh and if you sign up for Creaking keepsakes email newsletter or Like them on Facebook, they have a Free Font Friday. Not that I am enabling you or anything ;)

yvonnahenna

Can you guys tell me, how is it possible that I have some fonts in my font-map that are not visible in my photoshop?