Oscraps

Current Challenge 2024-09 Rachel Jefferies September 2024 Mixed Media Challenge

mywisecrafts

Sarcasm is the way I Roll
CHEERY O
Hello my friends and welcome to September. Are we ready for some mixed media fun?

As a reminder, here is overview of the approach to the 2024 Mixed Media Challenges:
Each month through 2024 a broad theme will be provided for the challenge and you can interpret these themes as literally or as loosely and abstractly as you wish.

Please feel inspired and relaxed to experiment and personalize these challenges this year to your advantage. Our goal for 2024 is for you to get pages scrapped, use your stash of digital art, and if you’d like, and have time, practice some fun techniques to build confidence in your mixed media scrapbooking.

If you’d like to learn something specific please inbox Rachel with your suggestion.

For September 2024, our challenge will be around one of the "daily holidays or observations" that occur in September. Select one from the list below and let your mixed media creativity take you away!

As noted above, this is a casual challenge and you can interpret this theme as literally or as loosely and abstractly as you wish and put your own spin on it.

• National Little Black Dress Day
  • National Live Fearless Day
  • Grandparents Day
  • International Day of Peace
  • World Tourism Day
  • National Coffee Day

Tips/Technique/Tutorial:
With each challenge, a tip/technique/tutorial will be included. There is no pressure to incorporate the tip/technique/tutorial into your challenge page, the choice is entirely yours.

Do you ever open the packs of paper in a kit and find that you a few just jump out at you and you don't know which one to use? OR do you find that you really love one paper but need to grunge it up just a bit to fit the layout idea that you have in your head? If you answered "yes" to either one of those questions, then I'd like to suggest making your own custom background paper for your layout.

This is EXACTLY what I did in my layout. I combined the following papers to create my look. I really LOVE the paper below on the right, but it was a little too light over all for the look that I wanted. So here's what I did!!
4Tw1Ll9.jpg
cN2WDb9.jpg

I started with the above paper on the left as my base.
19lS42G.jpg

From here, I then layered the above paper on the right right above it.
AjlRqwo.jpg

Once I had my secondary paper in place and selected, I then played with the "blend modes" to find which mode worked best for me, for the look that I wanted.
kv2Ydhn.jpg

NVAx7qX.jpg

I selected the "multiply" blend mode for my look. (Note: you can also adjust the opacity of the blend mode as well to further customize your look, I left mine at 100%--but if you look to the right of the blend mode selection area, you can see the ability to adjust the opacity).
GWnO4oM.jpg

My completed layout is below and in that layout, you can see that the texture from the paper adds to the layered look of my layout and plays right into my other elements that I used to complete my look.

Here's my layout:
I actually combined 2 prompts for my layout. I used "International Day of Peace & World Tourism Day" to inspire my layout. For peace, my escape from the craziness of life is spend time with my husband and being on the beach. For World Tourism, this photo is actually from our most recent trip to Hawaii over the summer.

puQxoXl.jpg

Challenge Requirements:
  • Create a new page inspired by one of the holidays/observations that occur in September and document your prompt in your forum post .
  • Use at least 75% of Rachel's Product currently available in her Oscraps shop.
  • Any remaining percentage must be product from another current Oscraps designer. This could also include retired products from Rachel or the other current Oscraps designer.
  • Hybrid projects are also welcome and the same product rules apply. Where digital products are used in a hybrid project they must all come from current Oscraps designers, and at least 75% must be Rachel's Product.
  • Upload your layout to the Rachel Jefferies Designs Gallery at Oscraps with your product credits.
  • For your challenge entry to be counted, you MUST upload your finished layout to this thread. Please link your gallery image to your post in this thread, as it helps us leave love on your layout (and validate your project).
  • No double-dipping… your layout must be created for this challenge only, no others.
  • You must create a NEW layout for this challenge.
  • This challenge will remain open for the monthly coupons through September 30, 2024
Prizes:
  • All participants who post their page during the challenge month by the end of month deadline and meet the criteria will be eligible for a coupon of 15% off their next order (from Rachel's shop) of $10 or more.
  • ONE lucky random winner who posts their page during the challenge month by the end of month deadline and meets the criteria will receive a $8.00 coupon for Rachel's Shop here at Oscraps!
  • By completing ALL twelve of Rachel's Mixed Media Challenges at Oscraps in 2024, this will give you the chance to win a $25 coupon to her shop!
    • In order to be eligible for $25 Coupon to Rachel's shop you will need to do the following:
      • Complete ALL twelve of Rachel's Mixed Media Challenges at Oscraps in 2024 by December 31, 2024 by 1159 PM PDT.
      • Post the challenge layout in the appropriate challenge month thread in Rachel Jefferies Challenge Threads (for example: January Challenge layout must be posted in the January Challenge thread that is linked back to the gallery--even if you complete it in November, it still must be posted in the January Thread).
      • Complete your tracker thread with a link to each layout by December 31, 2024 by 1159 PM PDT.
Note: Challenge pages will be accepted for individual challenges after the actual challenge month and the end of month deadlines have both passed.

If you have any questions just tag me and I will get back to you as soon as I can. As always, I look forward to your creations!