Oscraps

RECIPES: Vegetarian/Vegan

Cherylndesigns

I'm in The Zone ~ The "O" Zone
CHEERY O
If you don't mind frozen/microwave foods, Stouffer's makes a wonderful Veggie Lasagna. I absolutely love it. The kids all do too, so that's a testament. I've tried other frozen veggie lasagnas, but non are as good as theirs.

faerywings

The Loopy-O
CHEERY O
I have one on my freezer but I usually cook that when we have family parties b/c it is so big. Alas-- no parties for the last year and a half and it is now just sitting in there taking up space. ;)

tanteva

all i need is Oscraps, cOffee, chOcOlate & tOfu
Made a fantastic soup yesterday. It's from the WW-app, but I changed it a bit (of course, I'm not one for following instructions LOL). I'll try and write down what I did.

IMG_20210604_183346WEB.jpg
Ratatouille Soup
This serves 2, but just add whatever if you want to make more - it's a versatile recipe.
  • Chop/dice in small pieces: 1/2 zucchini, 1 onion, 1 garlic clove & 1/2 bell pepper.
  • Put into a pan with: 1 can of chopped tomatoes, 1/2 cup water, 1/2 stock cube and spices to taste: salt, pepper, paprika powder, rosemary & time.
  • Simmer for about 20 minutes.
  • Add about 1/2-1 teaspoon of both white balsamic vinegar & honey.
  • Add more water if needed/wanted. Taste to see if you want more spices.
  • You can blend it if you want a smooth soup, but I really liked it with all the bits in it.
I served it with garlic bread and topped the soup with chopped spring onions, but you can use whatever bread and topping you prefer. Full of taste but not too spicy (if you don't want to, like me, and go kinda overboard with the cayenne pepper :) )

tanteva

https://rainbowplantlife.com/how-to-eat-well-on-a-budget/

Get a pdf with a few recipes with grocery list included.
(Replying to my own post cuz I love talking to myself LOL)

Just watched the video that she's linking to in this blog post - I know I'm a bit nerdy when it comes to cooking and food, but I really love watching other people cook food. She had some really great ideas in this video - and I love the idea of cooking "building blocks" like she calls it - I do that a lot too.

tanteva

Here it is - LMK if it's weird in any way:

Ok, I know saffron is expensive, but I love it! I have no idea if it's cheaper or more expensive over there? I usually stockpile during the weeks before Christmas (often on sale then because we make these special Christmas buns in Sweden that have saffron in them).

This is basically a sort of luxury dinner, just because it has saffron in it. Also, beluga lentils are a bit more expensive than other lentils, but they are sooo much better.

Conversions are a bit hard - 1 cup = 2 1/2 dl - but I leave both measurements and you can just wing it a little bit. Proportions aren't that important - do as you like LOL

Standard size for a can of tomatoes in Sweden are about 400 g (14 ounce)

Creamy tomato and saffron pasta with beluga lentils
4 servings

1/2 dl (1/4 cup) beluga lentils + 1 1/2 dl (5/8 cup) water + 1/2 tsp herbal salt

400-500 g (14-18 ounce) pasta of choice (or basically - how much pasta you would cook for 4 servings)

1 Tbsp olive oil
2 cloves of garlic
1 small onion
1 tsp chili flakes (or to taste)
2 Tbsp pureed tomatoes
1 dl (3/8 cup) white wine (I use non-alcoholic cooking wine)
1 can of whole cherry tomatoes (I've used plain crushed as well)
1 packet of saffron (envelopes in Sweden contain 0,5 g (0.02 ounce), basically a pinch)
2 dl (4/5 of a cup) plant-based cream (I prefear oat based)
2 Tbsp chopped dill (frozen or fresh - dried, I guess you'd take about 2 tsp)
juice and zest from 1/2 lemon
Salt & Pepper to taste

Start by boiling/simmering the lentils in the water with herbal salt for about 15-20 minutes. Meanwhile prepare the sauce.

Chop the onion and garlic and let it sizzle in a large pan in the oil for a couple of minutes, careful to not burn the onion. Add tomato puree and stir. Add wine and simmer to reduce a bit.

Cut the lemon into wedges, and finely cut the zest. (I never use the zest - don't like it)

Cook the pasta in lots of salty water.

Add the canned tomatoes to the pan, add the saffron. Let simmer. Add the cream when it's a few minutes left of the pasta's cooking time. Taste to see if you want/need salt and pepper.

Save about 1 dl (3/8 cup) of the cooking water of the pasta when draining it. Remove the sauce pan from the heat. Add the lentils, sill, lemon zest and finally the pasta. If needed, add the pasta water.

Serve with lemon wedge (to squeeze over) and coarsely ground black pepper.

[Recipe translated from the Swedish blog Vegokäk: https://vegokak.se/recept/kramig-vegansk-tomat-saffranspasta-med-belugalinser/]

tanteva

Ended up making this for dinner today. Had to wing it a bit, cuz I didn't have all the ingredients at home. Dang, it's good!

IMG_20210608_183608web.jpg

mywisecrafts

CHEERY O
So I tried going vegetarian.... as most time, I can't even eat meat anymore, but I really struggled getting enough protein in..... I'm a texture girl....if the texture is off, I can't eat it. There's only so many eggs I can eat...Protein shakes have a weird texture/after taste....advice anyone?

faerywings

The Loopy-O
CHEERY O
So I tried going vegetarian.... as most time, I can't even eat meat anymore, but I really struggled getting enough protein in..... I'm a texture girl....if the texture is off, I can't eat it. There's only so many eggs I can eat...Protein shakes have a weird texture/after taste....advice anyone?
Yes!!!!!! Not to the advice but to the texture issues. I know that a lot of vegetarians/vegans will eat tofu and I just...can't.
I dislike meat especially if it looks like an animal. Blech. I will eat chicken and some fish, very rarely pork.
For protein, we do eat a lot of eggs and nuts. At one point, my DD used Nutritional yeast sprinkled on food but I haven;t seen her do that in a while. Sorry, I am absolutely no help, am I? ;)

mywisecrafts

CHEERY O
Yes!!!!!! Not to the advice but to the texture issues. I know that a lot of vegetarians/vegans will eat tofu and I just...can't.
I dislike meat especially if it looks like an animal. Blech. I will eat chicken and some fish, very rarely pork.
For protein, we do eat a lot of eggs and nuts. At one point, my DD used Nutritional yeast sprinkled on food but I haven;t seen her do that in a while. Sorry, I am absolutely no help, am I? ;)

uhhh, thanks..... I think... or No thanks? LOL. Helpful no, supportive yes!!! :) :p

tanteva

Ok ... time to step up on the soap box & lecture ;)

Protein is rarely a problem when you are on a vegetarian diet. Especially if you, like you say, eat eggs (and maybe dairy?). I think many think (not sure if you do, @mywisecrafts just saying) that just cuz you eat meat, you get tons of protein. Thing is - meat is just about 20-25% protein, not 100% as you might think. So, really no need to worry about getting too little protein.

Having said this - here's some vegetarian sources for protein: beans, lentils, soy "meat", tofu, nuts, seeds, peas & and whole grain products.

I'm with you with textures - some I just can't stand. I'm not a big fan of beans - but mixing them and make bean spreads, or as a base in patties (adding some chopped nuts, veggies, oats or whatever to make them chewier), or even mixing them with a can of tomatoes and some water & a stock cube for soup.

The trick with tofu (which has a terrible texture if not cooked properly), is to press it for a couple of hours (I do it over night) to get rid of some of the fluid. I have this:

https://www.amazon.com/Tofu-Press-stylish-transform-Tofuture/dp/B01698J0RU

but it works with just wrapping it with paper towels, put it between 2 cutting boards and put something heavy on top. Problem with that is that the fluid gets everywhere, so putting it into some kind of container is better. When it's been pressed, I cut the tofu into cubes, and marinate them (usually oil, lemon juice and spices), and after that I add corn starch and either fry them in oil or in the airfryer.

I'd say my biggest source for proteins are nuts. I mean - I love nuts. I could eat it for every meal the rest of my life. Adding peanuts on top of a dish with rice and veggies. Or with pasta/noodles and saucce. Having peanut butter on a sandwich. Adding chopped walnuts in your vegetarian patties. Or chopped hazel nuts and pumpkin seeds on your yoghurt. Or just grab a mouthful of peanuts cuz you're passing the cupboard.

What you need to do as a vegetarian (especially if you are vegan) is to get some kind of vitamin/mineral supplement, cuz there are a few vitamins & minerals that are hard - or even impossible - to get in a vegetarian diet. We buy a special supplement that are aimed for vegetarians.

Lecture over. :)

mywisecrafts

CHEERY O
Ok ... time to step up on the soap box & lecture ;)

Protein is rarely a problem when you are on a vegetarian diet. Especially if you, like you say, eat eggs (and maybe dairy?). I think many think (not sure if you do, @mywisecrafts just saying) that just cuz you eat meat, you get tons of protein. Thing is - meat is just about 20-25% protein, not 100% as you might think. So, really no need to worry about getting too little protein.

Having said this - here's some vegetarian sources for protein: beans, lentils, soy "meat", tofu, nuts, seeds, peas & and whole grain products.

I'm with you with textures - some I just can't stand. I'm not a big fan of beans - but mixing them and make bean spreads, or as a base in patties (adding some chopped nuts, veggies, oats or whatever to make them chewier), or even mixing them with a can of tomatoes and some water & a stock cube for soup.

The trick with tofu (which has a terrible texture if not cooked properly), is to press it for a couple of hours (I do it over night) to get rid of some of the fluid. I have this:

https://www.amazon.com/Tofu-Press-stylish-transform-Tofuture/dp/B01698J0RU

but it works with just wrapping it with paper towels, put it between 2 cutting boards and put something heavy on top. Problem with that is that the fluid gets everywhere, so putting it into some kind of container is better. When it's been pressed, I cut the tofu into cubes, and marinate them (usually oil, lemon juice and spices), and after that I add corn starch and either fry them in oil or in the airfryer.

I'd say my biggest source for proteins are nuts. I mean - I love nuts. I could eat it for every meal the rest of my life. Adding peanuts on top of a dish with rice and veggies. Or with pasta/noodles and saucce. Having peanut butter on a sandwich. Adding chopped walnuts in your vegetarian patties. Or chopped hazel nuts and pumpkin seeds on your yoghurt. Or just grab a mouthful of peanuts cuz you're passing the cupboard.

What you need to do as a vegetarian (especially if you are vegan) is to get some kind of vitamin/mineral supplement, cuz there are a few vitamins & minerals that are hard - or even impossible - to get in a vegetarian diet. We buy a special supplement that are aimed for vegetarians.

Lecture over. :)
Thank you!!! I struggle to get enough protein even eating meat….. I’m going to have to get a combo of probably nuts, beans and eggs. So if I seem nuttier than usual…. Well there you have it!:oops::rolleyes::)

felis

My opinion is bean's family. Bean, buckwheat, lentil are great source of proteins and have tons of variation, soup, salad, pottage, even fake 'meatballs'.

As a vegetarian you must be careful from what source protein shakes are made, as some I know are made for sports regime and they are from animal products. Also gelatin in cakes and cookies make them not vegetarian.
If you are vegetarian because of moral reasons, you should also check do the vegetables are grown without pesticide use, because that you kills more birds and bugs with your over consuming. Or better grown your own vegies to be sure that they are cruelty free.

tanteva

Thank you!!! I struggle to get enough protein even eating meat….. I’m going to have to get a combo of probably nuts, beans and eggs. So if I seem nuttier than usual…. Well there you have it!:oops::rolleyes::)

Can't get nuttier than me, no matter how hard you try. Lol

faerywings

The Loopy-O
CHEERY O
Since @tanteva is the tofu expert, I have a question for you. This is how I bake tofu cubes for Caitlyn.

I use Extra Firm tofu, wrap it in a few paper towels, then a dishcloth. I fill my tea kettle with water, then make a tower, tofu/cast iron skillet/filled kettle. I let that sit for an hour or so before I slice the tofu into cubes. I marinate the cubes, usually in soy sauce/honey (she is veg, not vegan so honey is ok)/ginger/red pepper flakes.
Soak them for an hour or so.
I bake the cubes for about 40 minutes, turning them halfway.

She says they taste good, but I am not crazy about the texture- some of them seem nice and crispy while other bits are crumbly or soggy. Is there something that I am doing wrong or should be doing differently?

The tofu press is such a neat idea but I don't think it is worth the expense since I only cook with it 1-2 times a month., unless you think it makes a big difference?

faerywings

The Loopy-O
CHEERY O
@mywisecrafts I make homemade fried rice often and sometimes I throw toasted cashews in it. Banana muffins get extra walnuts. I also make spaghetti with toasted walnuts, olive oil, and garlic.

So far, I am not (too) nutty LOL
And don't listen to Eva when she says that I am

faerywings

The Loopy-O
CHEERY O
@felis I think gelatin not being vegetarian surprised me the most. I never really thought about it and it is more common than I realized too. Caitlyn used to eat frosted mini-wheats. I stocked up once when they were on sale and then she told me she couldn't eat them. Almost all frosted cereal is made with gelatin. I have to be careful with cheeses too- some of the hard cheese like parmesan and romano are made with rennet so I have to look for microbial enzymes on the label.

And some sugar isn't vegan, that was another new one for me. It can be processed with bone meal (IIRC).

@mywisecrafts Pioneer Woman has a really delish recipe for black bean burgers and they reheat really well.

tanteva

Since @tanteva is the tofu expert, I have a question for you. This is how I bake tofu cubes for Caitlyn.

I use Extra Firm tofu, wrap it in a few paper towels, then a dishcloth. I fill my tea kettle with water, then make a tower, tofu/cast iron skillet/filled kettle. I let that sit for an hour or so before I slice the tofu into cubes. I marinate the cubes, usually in soy sauce/honey (she is veg, not vegan so honey is ok)/ginger/red pepper flakes.
Soak them for an hour or so.
I bake the cubes for about 40 minutes, turning them halfway.

She says they taste good, but I am not crazy about the texture- some of them seem nice and crispy while other bits are crumbly or soggy. Is there something that I am doing wrong or should be doing differently?

The tofu press is such a neat idea but I don't think it is worth the expense since I only cook with it 1-2 times a month., unless you think it makes a big difference?

That's about how I did it before I got the tofu press - only reason I got that press is cuz the last time I did it like that - the heavy marble mortar I used as a weight fell to the floor, almost hit Mårten! *panic* It made a dent in the floor, imagine what would have happened to Mårten!!! The press doesn't do anything that the tea kettle tower won't do, other than cat safety, LOL

Anyway - I think pressing for only an hour is too little, I do it for at least 3-4, or nowadays: over night in the fridge. I've heard it helps to freeze the tofu and thaw it up before pressing to make it even better, but never tried that.

The trick is to toss it with some corn starch after marinating & before frying.Gives them a crispy & chewy crust. I either fry them in a pan in lots of oil - or as a healthier option: no oil and in the air fryer. (I assume that's just like using the normal convection oven.

Add some lemon or lime juice to the marinade - it's amazing.

Should I add Resident Tofu Expert to my siggy? LOL

faerywings

The Loopy-O
CHEERY O
That's about how I did it before I got the tofu press - only reason I got that press is cuz the last time I did it like that - the heavy marble mortar I used as a weight fell to the floor, almost hit Mårten! *panic* It made a dent in the floor, imagine what would have happened to Mårten!!! The press doesn't do anything that the tea kettle tower won't do, other than cat safety, LOL

Anyway - I think pressing for only an hour is too little, I do it for at least 3-4, or nowadays: over night in the fridge. I've heard it helps to freeze the tofu and thaw it up before pressing to make it even better, but never tried that.

The trick is to toss it with some corn starch after marinating & before frying.Gives them a crispy & chewy crust. I either fry them in a pan in lots of oil - or as a healthier option: no oil and in the air fryer. (I assume that's just like using the normal convection oven.

Add some lemon or lime juice to the marinade - it's amazing.

Should I add Resident Tofu Expert to my siggy? LOL
Thank you for the suggestions, next time I will try to press the block longer and use cornstarch
*thumbs up*

That would have been horrible for Marten, glad it missed him

tanteva

I haven't tried this myself yet, but it seems like a yummy way to eat protein :)

tanteva

Here's my dinner plans for today:

Only have plain ordinary onions at home, but that'll do.

sabinaraye

Thanks for this recipe, Eva. I'm sure I can somehow incorporate walnuts instead of almonds. I can't eat almonds anymore since I've had a serious flare-up of IBS a while back. Walnuts don't bother me at all, but they're the only nuts I can eat. Do you by any chance have a recipe on how to make walnut butter? Any suggestions would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance.

tanteva

Thanks for this recipe, Eva. I'm sure I can somehow incorporate walnuts instead of almonds. I can't eat almonds anymore since I've had a serious flare-up of IBS a while back. Walnuts don't bother me at all, but they're the only nuts I can eat. Do you by any chance have a recipe on how to make walnut butter? Any suggestions would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance.
I'm sure you can just use that recipe and just substitute the almonds with walnuts. I love walnuts in food. Pizza with cheese, walnuts & honey! Yumy!