Oscraps

Old Austin
zlemon

Old Austin

Ever since I learned that my maternal relatives lived in Austin from before the Civil War through the Great Depression, I've been fascinated by the city's history. My Uncle even discovered that a relative is included in a mural in the State Capitol. The large building in the background is the famous or infamous Driskill hotel completed in 1886.

Built by a cattle baron, Colonel Driskill, it's known for:

In 1934, future President Lyndon Johnson met his future wife, Lady Bird (Claudia Taylor), for their first date at the Driskill dining room.

In 1908, the Daughters of the Republic of Texas met at the Driskill hotel to discuss the fate of the Alamo, they decided to save it. (My connection: Thru my lineage, I could belong to the DAR. It's a big thing in some circles here, but it's not for me.)

It was LBJ's campaign headquarters during his congressional career, especially during his famous 1948 Senate race, and became a favorite place on return trips to Austin during his presidency. He watched the results of the 1964 Presidential Election from its presidential suite and addressed supporters from its ballroom after his victory. It's also well-known in Texas that LBJ "entertained" young, pretty women in his suite.

It's on the National Registry of Haunted Hotels. Rumored to be haunted by a young girl who died chasing her ball and accidentally falling down the grand staircase; two suicide brides who killed themselves during their honeymoon 20 years apart in the same bathtub; and the Colonel himself who haunts the halls leaving behind cigar smoke and flickering lights.

There's a ballroom with extra large hallways, it was designed so two women wearing hoop skirts could pass by each other.

Having one of the best happy hours in downtown Austin. I agree, they make the best chocolate martinis and old fashioneds.

Used a vintage postcard from 1907 and APP Ordinaire.

Thanks for looking.
I love what you did with the old postcard, and the colors have an antique aura about them as well. Outstanding!

Love the ART of this, the page design, and then most of all your personal connection with the postcard.

I loved reading the story (google translate). I especially like what he did with the postcard. Very magical.

Layout information

Category
Anna Aspnes
Added by
zlemon
Date added
View count
Comment count
Rating
0.00 star(s) 0 ratings

Share this layout