Oscraps

Helens Flower
vickyday

Helens Flower

Helenium amarum - Bitterweed, Bitter Sneezeweed, Yellowdicks, Spanish Daisy, American Sneezeweed. Common weed found in meadows, along roadsides, and other disturbed areas. Some authorities consider it to be weedy or invasive. If cows eat them their milk will have a bitter taste. This plant is a native of the United States. They are in the Asteraceae (Aster) family.

Bitterweed's yellow blossom is a typical aster with a cluster of disk flowers and separate ray flowers. H. amarum typically has five to ten ray flowers hanging down from the dome-shaped disk.

This is var. amarum, which is the more widespread of the two Helenium amarum varieties. The other variety, var. badium has a brown central disk, and is found only in Oklahoma, Texas, and South Carolina.
Such a lovely page, Vicky. I love the yellow wildflowers, even if they are considered a weed, and the way you enlarged the framed portion. Beautiful blending and perfect word art. ♥

Beautiful blending job, and I love the little bouquets at top left and bottom right--they're perfect there. Native plants are fascinating! I've been incorporating them into my gardens more and more each year.

Well, I'm so glad I now know all about this weed. We have it everywhere here in OK. Very nice job!

Well, I'm so glad I now know all about this weed. We have it everywhere here in OK. Very nice job!
Well, it must be branching out because the article says OK is one of the states it is not in! However, I don't know when the article was written! Lucky you! ;)

Gorgeous! Love the way the flowers spill out of the frame. Interesting facts about this beautiful weed!

That's a lot of names for one flower. Weed or not, they are beautiful. Love the placement of your clusters.

Layout information

Category
Oscraps Cheery O's
Added by
vickyday
Date added
View count
Comment count
Rating
0.00 star(s) 0 ratings

Image metadata

Filename