Oscraps

Grandma-Boicourt-p2
LSlycord

Grandma-Boicourt-p2

I was able to find this newspaper article describing Grandma Boicourt's birthday in 1906. She was 102. Reading this makes me feel very close to her, although I didn't even know her name back in the 1970's when I first saw the photo of her.

The transcription of the article is in the comments.
  • Love
Reactions: Susan - s3js
Adding the transcription of the article.
Taken from the Moline advance Moline KS

Friday May 18th 1906

Grandma Boicourt 102 Tuesday May 15th 1906. The 102nd anniversary of the birth of this remarkably preserved saint was pleasantly celebrated with her at the home of her daughter, Mrs. Carver.

As announced by the Ladies Aid Society the gathering was at the M.E. church and carriages provided by Mr. Carver and others carried the company to the Carver residence at 2:00 PM. Reverend WC Goodwin was placed in charge and conducted everything in an informal homelike way that placed all at rest and in a happy mood. Mrs. W.A. Elstun led, as large company joined heartily in singing many of the inspiring old hymns and tunes. The 91st Psalm was read and brother Burt Baker led in prayer

Grandma Boicourt was in excellent health; her thought was clear; her soul aglow.

From her chair she recited, with perfect memory a long and unique hymn that she heard sung by a circuit rider just before his sermon. The meeting was in a great log house in old Virginia in 1813 when she was but nine years old now at 102 her voice was clear, diction faultless and unction thrilling. She followed the recitation by a clear account of this sermon which was preached by the Reverend William Hacker and that, by her own Christian experience. We have procured a copy of the peculiar hymn and here give it.

The sermon was very faithful and when about half preached was interrupted by a strange noise which filled the house. Some were seized with jerks. Many crowded to the mourners bench and joined with others who knelt in their seats and cried aloud for mercy. Others contributed to the noise by shouting glory to God. Many were converted and rejoiced with joy unspeakable. Many beautiful and befitting testimonies followed Grandma Boicourt’s, one by Grandpa Webb, who is past 86 years. Mr. E.G. Dewey gave a very interesting and instructive address upon the world's progress in all lines within the lifetime of our loved centenarian

Mrs. Bessie Boicourt-Allen of Sedalia MO, daughter of Reverend James Boicourt and a granddaughter of the aged one contributed much to the enjoyment by beautiful rendering of suitable poems the last of which was crossing the bar by Tennyson. Mr. Dell and Miss Nora M Hughes of Howard were present and contributed their part.

The occasion was one of rare enjoyment-- serious rejoicing in which tears flowed freely and the ties that bind human hearts and Christian love were strengthened.

Grandma Boicourt is at the head of five generations, four of which were represented at this time. She bids fair to have a few more anniversaries. Amen so let it be. WCG

Linda, that's an absolute gem! This is a great companion page to your picture LO. I love the sweet simplicity of the design!

Layout information

Category
Oscraps Cheery O's
Added by
LSlycord
Date added
View count
Comment count
Rating
0.00 star(s) 0 ratings

Image metadata

Filename