Oscraps

Gasp! Click.
musicmom3

Gasp! Click.

We took a road trip into the Adirondacks in July, right before the Delta variant of Covid tightened its grip. One of our stops was a museum in Blue Mountain Lake, where there happened to be an exhibition of the whimsical taxidermy tableux of Victorian British taxidermist Walter Potter. Like the title says, "Gasp! Click."

As I often do when using the Scenic Template Albums, I pirated additional frames from other templates to add to the template that I had selected. Not much background is needed with the Scenic Templates, but I layered three artsy papers from the Artplay Palette on different blend modes, and then plunked down some daisies to finish. I made my title from two word labels from different Artplay Palettes.
  • Love
Reactions: isDK
Woah! This is amazing. We have huge exhibits that I consider impressive, but if you figure it takes all the same work to stuff a tiny critter as an elk and a bear and there are so many of them, this is just as impressive in a way. But why? LOL Great page design and I like your approach.

That is one strange story! I think I would be a little creeped out, but I love the building and the use of the template :) And love the addition of the daisies!

Taxidermy is big up there, especially during deer season. It's been a while since we were at the museum. Great documentation and photos. (My step father had all kinds of stuffed animals and mounted deer heads around the house. Use to creep me out!)

Gasp is right! What an amazing find. Are most of those little creatures rabbits? Their ears look a little shorter than I'd expect. I collect rabbit-themed art, but I don't know that I'd want one of those. Anyways, what a fabulous layout...I love that building!

I don't think this is a profession I would enjoy. I did look him up, though. Wow! He created some elaborate scenes. I'll have to read more about his life to see why he spent his time this way. Terrific page. Love the title.

Gasp is right! What an amazing find. Are most of those little creatures rabbits? Their ears look a little shorter than I'd expect. I collect rabbit-themed art, but I don't know that I'd want one of those. Anyways, what a fabulous layout...I love that building!
Thanks for the kind words! They're all baby bunnies, which the museum docent told us were donated by farmers in Potter's neighborhood rather than killed specifically for the project. She said that Potter wanted 50 bunnies originally, but could get only 49 humanely, so went with that. I don't know what "humane" meant in Victorian times, but apparently this sort of thing was common. It was definitely a weird experience viewing this exhibition. There was also a wedding diorama made with kittens, and the docent explained that kittens were often drowned when born (neutering was not a common practice at the time), so that's how Potter got those. It was a very unexpected exhibition to find in such a small town in the middle of nowhere!

Congratulations! Your fabulous layout has been selected as a Cheery O Favorite for this month's Featured Themes (Sept 2021). Your layout will appear in either the Haps newsletter or on the Oscraps blog during this month so please make sure to keep an eye out for it.

Layout information

Category
Anna Aspnes
Added by
musicmom3
Date added
View count
Comment count
Rating
0.00 star(s) 0 ratings

Image metadata

Filename