Oscraps

Farewell Tour
KAPOH

Farewell Tour

JOURNALING:
Thurs. Nov. 3
Christian music icon Sandi Patty announced her retirement and farewell tour in late September, 2015.
She began as a backup singer with the Bill Gaither Trio. In 1986, she hit the national spotlight when she was tapped to perform the National Anthem at the rededication of the Statue of Liberty. During her career, she has won 5 Grammy Awards, 4 Billboard Awards, and 40 Dove Awards. She has performed at 3 presidential inaugurations.
Early on the morning of Nov. 3 of this year, I happened to notice in our local "Weekender" section of the newspaper that the tour was stopping that evening at a suburban church. Even though my sister (visiting from Florida) and my 101-year old mother were still sleeping, I went ahead and ordered three tickets to the concert, not knowing if they would want to go. Fortunately, the both said, "Yes!"
Google Earth helped me locate the church and map out the route. Unfortunately, part of the journey took us through an unfamiliar section of downtown freeway as the sun was setting. It was really white-knuckle drive time as I struggled to see the road with the sun in my eyes at 55 MPH. Finally, the road turned from west to south and I was able to relax for the rest of the trip. By the time we got to the church, traffic was backed up nearly the entire distance from the turn-off point. I was able to let my mother and sister off at the entrance while I found a place to park in the back lot.
The travel headaches were soon forgotten as the concert began and that special voice filled the auditorium. She has described her amazing vocal range as, "...my range has changed a bit over the years but my mom says its about four octaves (F below middle C to high F above double high C). Really singing high is just like screaming on pitch."
In addition to family members, Veritas, a 5-member contemporary classical group joined Patti on stage.
Highlights of the program included "We Shall Behold Him", "In Heaven's Eyes", "Via Dolorosa", and, with her husband Don Peslis, "The Prayer".

CREDITS: PHOTOS: web; TEMPLATE: 154 by Timounette; KITS: ArtPlay Palette Love Story by Anna Aspnes; Hedgehog In The Garden by SoMa Design; Hoppy Easter by Boomer's Girl Designs; FONT: OldNespaperType
lovely story and so nice you could take your mum and sister to share this special event.

Wonderful documentation of this special time for your family. I've seen her several times with the Women of Faith tour and she is spectacular... especially the controlled screaming... your page captures her fabulous career...

So glad you saw this event in the newspaper. It WAS hectic to get there but so worth it. She is wonderful. Love the newspaper format to document this event.

Layout information

Category
2016 Advent Event - December
Added by
KAPOH
Date added
View count
Comment count
Rating
0.00 star(s) 0 ratings

Share this layout