Oscraps

Did you have favorite childhood books?

Cherylndesigns

I'm in The Zone ~ The "O" Zone
CHEERY O
I love horses ad always have. I think my favorite childhood book was Black Beauty. I also read every book that Marguerite Henry ever wrote about horses. Misty of Chincoteague was also one of my favorites - she wrote a whole series about the Horses of Chincoteague.

I also loved Anne of Green Gables and Little Women. I know there were a lot more and I hope some of you jog my memory.

What were some of your favorites?

Kythe

CHEERY O
I read a lot more now than I did as a child. There were so many other things I did. However Anne of Green gables series was the all time favourite. A Christmas Carol was the next one. I read it every year.

scrap-genie

I also read all the horse books including the Walter Farley black stallion ones. A favorite thanks to my sister was Wind in the Willows. I read children's biographies, Nancy Drew, beyond that I don't currently remember.

Jeannette

CHEERY O
I love to read as a child. All kinds of books, but my favorite was "Kruimeltje". A story about a young boy, who lived on the streets, because he had no parents, and his stephmother wasn't very kind to him. I found it exiting, sad and happy all at the same time. The story ends well, the boy found his parents again in the end.
I also love Alone in the World, the story about Remi.
Like scrap-genie, I too red the Black Stallion books.

Nickel

Feeling Owsome at the O!
CHEERY O
I red and loved the Black Stallion too!

My favorite was "A letter for the King"/ 'secrets of the Wild Wood" by Tonke Dragt. 9and others by that awesome writer It's translated in English Tonke Dragt Wiki entry

I adored The 100 year war (between England and France in the 13th cencury) of Thea beckman And her "Crusade in Jeans" Thea Beckman Wiki entry

I loved the Mallory Towers series (and those of the twins) by Enid Blyton

and more and more> I was eating books for breakfast as a child

Last edited:

Cherylndesigns

CHEERY O
I read a lot more now than I did as a child. There were so many other things I did. However Anne of Green gables series was the all time favourite. A Christmas Carol was the next one. I read it every year.
Wasn't that just the best series? I just loved those books, and A Christmas Carol is a favorite of mine, too.

Cherylndesigns

CHEERY O
I also read all the horse books including the Walter Farley black stallion ones. A favorite thanks to my sister was Wind in the Willows. I read children's biographies, Nancy Drew, beyond that I don't currently remember.
Oh, I also loved Wind in the Willows and the Nancy Drew books.

Cherylndesigns

CHEERY O
I love to read as a child. All kinds of books, but my favorite was "Kruimeltje". A story about a young boy, who lived on the streets, because he had no parents, and his stephmother wasn't very kind to him. I found it exiting, sad and happy all at the same time. The story ends well, the boy found his parents again in the end.
I also love Alone in the World, the story about Remi.
Like scrap-genie, I too red the Black Stallion books.
I read so much as a child! That was one of my very favorite things to do. Your favorites sound very fascinating.

Cherylndesigns

CHEERY O
I red and loved the Black Stallion too!

My favorite was "A letter for the King"/ 'secrets of the Wild Wood" by Tonke Dragt. 9and others by that awesome writer It's translated in English Tonke Dragt Wiki entry

I adored The 100 year war (between England and France in the 13th cencury) of Thea beckman And her "Crusade in Jeans" Thea Beckman Wiki entry

I loved the Mallory Towers series (and those of the twins) by Enid Blyton

and more and more> I was eating books for breakfast as a child
I love that so many of you loved to read like I did. My mom used to say "you've always got your nose stuck in a book". She didn't like to read and didn't get it. I got my love of reading from my maternal grandmother - she read all the time, too. I used to adore going to the library on Saturday afternoon.

tanteva

all i need is Oscraps, cOffee, chOcOlate & tOfu
Never was a horse girl. Don't think I read any horse books. I loved a Swedish book serie about cats: Pelle Svanslös. Pelle was a cat that was teased by all the other cats, cuz he had no tail. But he was a kind cat and won everyone over. It was a cute story about being different but still winning in the end.

And as a Swede, you have to love Astrid Lindgren's books. It's almost mandatory for citizenship. LOL I'm not sure about the English titles of all her books, but Pippi is great. My favorites though are the books about Karlsson and the ones about the children in Noisy Village.

I think she's an American author, Frances something. She wrote Secret Garden, and my favorite Little Princess. Loved those. Also loved the books about Bill, not sure who the author is? Funny, mischievous boy. Oh, and the book ... don't remember the name Five finds/meets a sand troll, or something like that. Author was Nesbit, I think.

The cartoons about Garfield was a favorite too. Loved cats, can you tell?

I loved the books about the misfits, the obnoxius, and the ones that was misunderstood, but that all had a bright future if only they endured. In hindsight, I sure as €#@& can see why. LOL

faerywings

The Loopy-O
CHEERY O
I always was, and still am, a reader. I always had books with me and loved library days at school.
I was a horse girl-- and the Misty of Chincoteague ones were some of my favorites. I had completely forgotten about them until Cheryl mentioned them. I loved Nancy Drew *and* the Hardy Boys. I was told that Nancy Drew was for girls and the Hardy Boys were for my brother- but of course, I took all of his books to read. :D It feels shocking today that it was standard for boys/girls to have their own series.
My mom used to take this book out of the library and my brother and I love it: No Fighting, No Biting!
I *think* that there was a message in there for us. I also *loved* Richard Scarry's books.

Overall, I would read the cereal box if there was nothing else available

veer

I love the "O"
CHEERY O
I was a fan of pietje puk :p
521x840.jpg
Pietje Puk is the friend of all children. They love the funny adventures of the cheerful postman from Keteldorp. He is always there for others and gives them good advice. But he does some crazy tricks.

AZK

Queen of the Universe
CHEERY O
I was a dedicated reader as a kid (still am!). I remember one time my younger sister and our friend from across the street were begging me to come outside and play, but I was nose deep in a book! I was horse crazy too, so had all the Marguerite Henry books and the whole Black Stallion series. We didn't do Nancy Drew but had all the Trixie Belden books. I loved the Little Women series too. Would you believe I never read the Anne of Green Gable books until I was an adult?

Cherylndesigns

CHEERY O
Never was a horse girl. Don't think I read any horse books. I loved a Swedish book serie about cats: Pelle Svanslös. Pelle was a cat that was teased by all the other cats, cuz he had no tail. But he was a kind cat and won everyone over. It was a cute story about being different but still winning in the end.

And as a Swede, you have to love Astrid Lindgren's books. It's almost mandatory for citizenship. LOL I'm not sure about the English titles of all her books, but Pippi is great. My favorites though are the books about Karlsson and the ones about the children in Noisy Village.

I think she's an American author, Frances something. She wrote Secret Garden, and my favorite Little Princess. Loved those. Also loved the books about Bill, not sure who the author is? Funny, mischievous boy. Oh, and the book ... don't remember the name Five finds/meets a sand troll, or something like that. Author was Nesbit, I think.

The cartoons about Garfield was a favorite too. Loved cats, can you tell?

I loved the books about the misfits, the obnoxius, and the ones that was misunderstood, but that all had a bright future if only they endured. In hindsight, I sure as €#@& can see why. LOL
Ohhhhh, I forgot about The Secret Garden and The Little Prince! Those were among my favorites, too. I've never forgotten The Secret Garden and always wanted one. I'm still drawn to pictures of "secret gardens".

Cherylndesigns

CHEERY O
I was a bookworm. I loved Enid Blyton's books.
Me too, Sylvia. One summer, at the library, we got a piece of "warm" for every book we read. I had the "whole worm" pretty fast. Hahaha i remember I read something like 60 books. We could check out as many books as we could carry. That was my favorite place to go.

Cherylndesigns

CHEERY O
I always was, and still am, a reader. I always had books with me and loved library days at school.
I was a horse girl-- and the Misty of Chincoteague ones were some of my favorites. I had completely forgotten about them until Cheryl mentioned them. I loved Nancy Drew *and* the Hardy Boys. I was told that Nancy Drew was for girls and the Hardy Boys were for my brother- but of course, I took all of his books to read. :D It feels shocking today that it was standard for boys/girls to have their own series.
My mom used to take this book out of the library and my brother and I love it: No Fighting, No Biting!
I *think* that there was a message in there for us. I also *loved* Richard Scarry's books.

Overall, I would read the cereal box if there was nothing else available
OMGosh - I still read the back of the boxes if I eat cereal. I would read ANYTHING. My grandma turned me on to Erma Bombeck when I was quite young. "Please Don't Eat The Daisies" was a book she wrote about her crazy kids. Grandma and I used to read it to each other and just laugh and laugh. She was the funniest lady ever - I followed her for the rest of her life. I read The Hardy Boys, too. Hahaha I didn't care if they were for boys - SO funny, isn't it?

I love that you read the Misty books. I, sadly, never got to Chincoteague to see the running of the wild horses. :(

Cherylndesigns

CHEERY O
I was a fan of pietje puk :p
View attachment 380248
Pietje Puk is the friend of all children. They love the funny adventures of the cheerful postman from Keteldorp. He is always there for others and gives them good advice. But he does some crazy tricks.
Oh, Vera, this looks like such a wonderful series. I love the cover!

Cherylndesigns

CHEERY O
I was a dedicated reader as a kid (still am!). I remember one time my younger sister and our friend from across the street were begging me to come outside and play, but I was nose deep in a book! I was horse crazy too, so had all the Marguerite Henry books and the whole Black Stallion series. We didn't do Nancy Drew but had all the Trixie Belden books. I loved the Little Women series too. Would you believe I never read the Anne of Green Gable books until I was an adult?
Oh, I forgot about Trixie Belden!! You are all bringing back so many memories. You sound just like me "nose deep in a book". I always had a book with me and if I had any time at all, I was reading. I'm SO happy you finally read Anne of Greey Gables - the series on streaming are cute, but definitely don't do the books justice.

*sylvia*

♥→o←♥
CHEERY O
Me too, Sylvia. One summer, at the library, we got a piece of "warm" for every book we read. I had the "whole worm" pretty fast. Hahaha i remember I read something like 60 books. We could check out as many books as we could carry. That was my favorite place to go.
Oh yeah, Cheryl, mine too, later on as adult too. Unfortunately they no longer exist today. Everything is digitized...

scrapinmom

CHEERY O
For my little girls it was Good Night Moon, The hungry Caterpillar and of course anything Dr. Seuss. When they got older one DD enjoyed the Nancy Drew(as I did) and theLittle House series. She was an avid reader and was reading The Harry Potter and related series. She got deep into anime (Sailor Moon) She reads everything she gets her hands on-Jane Eyre, War and Peace, Any sci fi series.

Betty Jo

♥ Lovin' the O ♥
My favorite two things as a child were reading books and drawing. I often drew from the books I read. I loved the books by Enid Blyton, Nancy Drew, Hardy Boys, and many others but these are the main ones I can remember. I also loved comic books, the action comics, Superman being my fave, then Batman, the Flash, etc. I also loved Archie, and Walt Disney comics. I spent as much time in our school library as I possibly could. I read all the biographies they had, twice; I think I remember they had orange covers. Books and drawing were my escape from reality. My home life wasn't the best as my father was an alcoholic and there was always drama, drama, and more drama. :rolleyes: