Oscraps

spiders

veer

I love the "O"
CHEERY O
The spider season has started again, so that means great fear for me again.
I am terrified of those large house spiders. I have seen them from afar and usually stand on a chair or table.
Just thinking about it gives me goosebumps ...
f814461c_a94d_11e8_8da8_ddac1b74.jpg

other people who have such fear for spiders ?

AZK

Queen of the Universe
CHEERY O
While I'm not fond of spiders, I'm not terrified of them. I'm able to get close enough to them to squish them, lol!

Slightly off topic, my youngest daughter (who is now in her 30's) is terrified of flying insects, even butterflies. She refuses to go into the butterfly house at the local zoo.

bcgal00

CHEERY O
I don't like spiders but will get up close to get a fun creepy photo of them. I do get nervous around the big ones. If they are in the house it is my hubby's job to capture and put back outside.

marijke

I love the O!
CHEERY O
I am absolutely not afraid of spiders ... I only find it annoying when they are inside our house and make webs.
Long live the vacuum cleaner...
Mice on the other hand ... that really scares me ...

Cherylndesigns

I'm in The Zone ~ The "O" Zone
CHEERY O
I go into crazed mode when I see one! My grandson saw a wolf spider the other day (at their house) - they're the scariest spiders I've ever seen. We had them in Florida and when I saw one for the first time, I thought I was seeing things. We have a cat that's a super hunter and we haven't seen very many since we got him. We live in the country so we have critters. I call him my Critter Control.

veer

I love the "O"
CHEERY O
While I'm not fond of spiders, I'm not terrified of them. I'm able to get close enough to them to squish them, lol!

Slightly off topic, my youngest daughter (who is now in her 30's) is terrified of flying insects, even butterflies. She refuses to go into the butterfly house at the local zoo.
oh no even for butterflies?
my daughter is also afraid of everything that flies, but comes down to birds (especially pigeons) and also chickens

veer

I love the "O"
CHEERY O
I don't like spiders but will get up close to get a fun creepy photo of them. I do get nervous around the big ones. If they are in the house it is my hubby's job to capture and put back outside.
oh no then you are quite brave if you dare to take a picture!

veer

I love the "O"
CHEERY O
I am absolutely not afraid of spiders ... I only find it annoying when they are inside our house and make webs.
Long live the vacuum cleaner...
Mice on the other hand ... that really scares me ...
LOL i am not afraid of mices :p

veer

I love the "O"
CHEERY O
I go into crazed mode when I see one! My grandson saw a wolf spider the other day (at their house) - they're the scariest spiders I've ever seen. We had them in Florida and when I saw one for the first time, I thought I was seeing things. We have a cat that's a super hunter and we haven't seen very many since we got him. We live in the country so we have critters. I call him my Critter Control.
Oh Cheryl, I'm glad we don't have them here

Jeannette

CHEERY O
It already has been a few months ago, but even thinking about it again, makes me shiver.

I went to the toilet upstairs. I sat down, doing my business, and when I grabbed for the toiletpaper I saw a huge grey spider sitting behind me on the toilet sink.
I almost panicked, but then reminded myself, NO. You don't do that anymore, you are a big girl now, you are not terrified of spiders anymore.
I got up, pulled up my underpants, carefully looking at the spider. And then it happened. The spider jumped!!! I swear the beast jumped. I screamed, ran into my sons bedroom, with my trousers still on my ankles.
My son was sitting behind his computer, with his cat on his lap. The cat startled, jumped on the desk, hit a glas of soda which fell all over the keyboard. My son wasn't happy with me. However he did go to the bathroom, found the spider and brought it outside.
It took me weeks before I had the courage to go to the upstairs toilet again.

No I don't like spiders!

Betty Jo

♥ Lovin' the O ♥
I hate spiders! I grew up in Florida, US, and we had huge spiders, inside and outside. My mother literally named the spiders in our house. Tommy, lived in our bathroom, and he was a huge furry thing. Mother said Tommy helped to rid the house of other unwanted insects so we weren't to bother him. Like Jeanettes' post before this one, some of the spiders would actually jump on you. Tommy never jumped on me. I think he knew he'd be a dead Tommy, if he did. :D

scrap-genie

I rather like spiders, but I don't tolerate them when they invade my personal space. Otherwise I leave them alone or take photos, maybe put them outside. And some types of spiders are built to jump, so that is not unusual.

Amandajk

It already has been a few months ago, but even thinking about it again, makes me shiver.

I went to the toilet upstairs. I sat down, doing my business, and when I grabbed for the toiletpaper I saw a huge grey spider sitting behind me on the toilet sink.
I almost panicked, but then reminded myself, NO. You don't do that anymore, you are a big girl now, you are not terrified of spiders anymore.
I got up, pulled up my underpants, carefully looking at the spider. And then it happened. The spider jumped!!! I swear the beast jumped. I screamed, ran into my sons bedroom, with my trousers still on my ankles.
My son was sitting behind his computer, with his cat on his lap. The cat startled, jumped on the desk, hit a glas of soda which fell all over the keyboard. My son wasn't happy with me. However he did go to the bathroom, found the spider and brought it outside.

No I don't like spiders!
@Jeannette WHAT A GREAT STORY!!! Did you scrap this???!!! I can identify with both you AND Cheryl....

@Cherylndesigns said
"I go into crazed mode when I see one! My grandson saw a wolf spider the other day (at their house) - they're the scariest spiders I've ever seen. We had them in Florida and when I saw one for the first time, I thought I was seeing things. We have a cat that's a super hunter and we haven't seen very many since we got him. We live in the country so we have critters. I call him my Critter Control."
I have 3 spider stories:
1. Living in Mexico just south of the border there are HUGE tarantulas- the brown kind. So large you can spot them crawling across the field/yard. One found fit well in a large pickle jar! Thank God I didn't get close to any of them!!!
2. In Honduras where we taught at a school, the climate is such that the end of the building's corridors are open, with only safety grates on which the tropical plants grow.
So guess what comes in during the rainy season? One day I was teaching Art, and I heard a ruckus. I stepped out of the classroom to see high school boys running out of the bathroom next door. One was shouting. Turns out there was a very large black tarantula in the corner. Now, when they are cornered, they will rear up on hind legs and let out a hissy squeal. I had a broom, but I was NOT going to tangle with it. I got my husband from downstairs to come remove it! LOL
3. Five years ago I was bitten by a brown recluse. Thankfully there wasn't the damage there could have been. But it did create a depression in my skin- on the top of my foot near my toes. A red line ran up my calf nearly to my knee. I had a night of strong muscle cramping, fever, and was delirious. It was AWFUL! Next morning I went to doctor and was given antibiotic to fight sepsis. It cleared up after about five days. I have a small scar but that is all. Well, not all... I now absolutely hate spiders over one inch in size!! We have wolf spiders here too, and I always watch for them. We have already sprayed the window sills and doorways.
Last fall I was sleeping and was awakened as I felt something on my arm. I brushed it away, and then saw it was one of those awful creatures. I swiftly threw it off the bed and it fell back behind the headboard, so I got our spray out and sprayed the beejeebers out of that entire area! Dan found it dead when he came home. Yep, it was a biggun!!
iu

*sylvia*

♥→o←♥
CHEERY O
Spiders are absolutely not my friends and fortunately there have not been any large specimens in Germany so far, except for the wolf spider, which can grow up to 4.5 cm. But now the nosferatu spider has migrated to us from the Mediterranean. She has hair and is taller too ... I hope not to find anything like that in my house ...

@Jeannette ... that would be my nightmare and I would check the room every time...
@Betty Jo ... I know spiders are very useful - that's what my father always said-, but Tommy, there's no way I would have accepted him as a lodger ...

faerywings

The Loopy-O
CHEERY O
Anyone who knows me already knows that I like spiders as well as mice/rats. I have to- we have a tarantula and rats as pets :D
Full disclosure: I wasn't super thrilled when Scott got Rita, the Chilean Rose Tarantula. We already had wolf spider and fishing spider as pets as well as many praying mantes and a vinegaroon (whip scorpion), but I had drawn the line at tarantulas.
Scott was "babysitting" Rita, then the pandemic hit. Rita's owner had to move in with her Grandma who said a firm No way, not a chance when it came to Rita so Scott is now Rita's dad.

She is beautiful, her hair is rose gold and when it catches the light it practically sparkles. She is one of the more mellow types of tarantulas, pretty content to dig a hole in the soil in her tank and hang out.
Thank said, I haven't ever held her. That is my line. LOL The vinegaroon, the snakes-- those I have no problem with. Rita, I love to admire from the other side of the glass.

One time, Scott freaked out because Rita somehow got out of her tank. He had no idea how long she was missing or if she had left his room. He found her under his bed and yes, I can confirm that they *charge.* He said he squealed like a baby as she ran at his face ROTF!!!
@scrap-genie painted a really gorgeous MM picture of Rita that I printed for Scott for Christmas, it is hanging over her tank :)

Betty Jo

♥ Lovin' the O ♥
Spiders are absolutely not my friends and fortunately there have not been any large specimens in Germany so far, except for the wolf spider, which can grow up to 4.5 cm. But now the nosferatu spider has migrated to us from the Mediterranean. She has hair and is taller too ... I hope not to find anything like that in my house ...

@Jeannette ... that would be my nightmare and I would check the room every time...
@Betty Jo ... I know spiders are very useful - that's what my father always said-, but Tommy, there's no way I would have accepted him as a lodger ...
Yikes, Sylvia! The nosferatu spider sounds like a nightmare. I hope you never encounter one of those. I agree, Tommy would never be a lodger in my home either. I think he, and his relatives, were wolf spiders. I never really thought much about his "breed" until I saw this thread. I've never seen anything like him where I live now, just tiny little spiders. I've been told there are a lot of Brown Recluse spiders here, and that they are very poisonous. I hope never to encounter one of them.

LSlycord

Oh no. No spiders for me. And none of Chris' other creatures either. I have finally made peace with the anoles that are constantly running across my pool deck. But the spiders (fortunately haven't seen any big ones), the frogs (we have poisonous varieties and that makes them all bad in my book) and the rats (that came to eat my bird seed and ruined my pleasure when feeding the birds) are just more critters than I want to contend with. But, without hard freezes, there is nothing to ever get rid of the darned things.

Kythe

CHEERY O
Farm girl here. Spiders are no big deal. I pick them up and put them outside. My husband and daughter though will not deal with them at all. Having said that, I don't know that I would be so cavalier about some of the big guys spoken about here. :D:D

Amandajk

Anyone who knows me already knows that I like spiders as well as mice/rats. I have to- we have a tarantula and rats as pets :D
Full disclosure: I wasn't super thrilled when Scott got Rita, the Chilean Rose Tarantula. We already had wolf spider and fishing spider as pets as well as many praying mantes and a vinegaroon (whip scorpion), but I had drawn the line at tarantulas.
Scott was "babysitting" Rita, then the pandemic hit. Rita's owner had to move in with her Grandma who said a firm No way, not a chance when it came to Rita so Scott is now Rita's dad.

She is beautiful, her hair is rose gold and when it catches the light it practically sparkles. She is one of the more mellow types of tarantulas, pretty content to dig a hole in the soil in her tank and hang out.
Thank said, I haven't ever held her. That is my line. LOL The vinegaroon, the snakes-- those I have no problem with. Rita, I love to admire from the other side of the glass.

One time, Scott freaked out because Rita somehow got out of her tank. He had no idea how long she was missing or if she had left his room. He found her under his bed and yes, I can confirm that they *charge.* He said he squealed like a baby as she ran at his face ROTF!!!
@scrap-genie painted a really gorgeous MM picture of Rita that I printed for Scott for Christmas, it is hanging over her tank :)
oohhhhh. Ummmmmmm.

iu

I, uh, well, can't find words!! LOL ! Well, first, the Vinegaroon: FINALLY I've learned what the heck that creature was crawling in my living room just a few days after moving to west Texas!!!! I've searched many times but no one seemed to know. I don't even like the name, HA! We dealt with small yellow/translucent scorpions in N. Mexico. My first time was in our kids' bedroom- I became Mama Bear and said "oh heck no!" O mustered up my courage and took a shoe and in one small tap, it became a non issue. I was much less afraid then on. But in Honduras, we had BIG black ones that were venemous. So, no sirrrreee. I like vinegaroons as much as the liquid their name sounds like; vinegar makes me cough every time I get near it. Oh my. Oh my- I just can't imagine those pets. I had a boyfriend at end of my Senior year who had a tarantula pet. He would bring the shed skin to the restaurant we worked at and sneak it on the counter to scare me. BAD boyfriend in so many ways. Glad he and that thing are not in my life. Now, lizards--- yes!!! Iguanas, YES. But nothing more freaky than those!

veer

I love the "O"
CHEERY O

No I don't like spiders!
Oh no jeannette, that's my worst nightmare too. And I believe you she jumped!
It must have been a funny sight with your pants down to your ankles

veer

I love the "O"
CHEERY O

I also know that they are useful but still I am terrified of them

veer

I love the "O"
CHEERY O

I would never come to visit you :p

veer

I love the "O"
CHEERY O
Oh no. No spiders for me. And none of Chris' other creatures either. I have finally made peace with the anoles that are constantly running across my pool deck. But the spiders (fortunately haven't seen any big ones), the frogs (we have poisonous varieties and that makes them all bad in my book) and the rats (that came to eat my bird seed and ruined my pleasure when feeding the birds) are just more critters than I want to contend with. But, without hard freezes, there is nothing to ever get rid of the darned things.
we also have mice and rats that come to the bird food, it will frighten me but I am not afraid of it