Oscraps

May 5

Jeannette

CHEERY O
Is the day to celebrate freedom in the Netherlands. On May 5, 2024 it has been 79 years that World War II ended for the Netherlands.
On May 4 we remember all the deaths, but on May 5 we celebrate freedom.
Since it has been 79 years lots of young people don't know about World War II anymore. And ofcourse lots is going on in the world these days, which even makes it harder to remember, feel and understand.
Still I think it is very important that we rembember.

Do you remember in your country?

Cherylndesigns

I'm in The Zone ~ The "O" Zone
CHEERY O
I love how The Netherlands honors the end of WWII and celebrates freedom on May 5th. I have other online friends from The Netherlands who tend to some of the American cemeteries, which I am so moved by. Many years ago, I had the privilege of meeting an elderly artist who was from The Netherlands. I had a picture of the American Flag hanging in the exhibit and she was standing there looking at it and crying.

She went on to tell me that she was standing on the sidewalk during The Liberation. She told me the story and tears streamed down both our faces. She said she remembered the joy of seeing those big American flags coming down the street. I still get emotional when I remember her.

We celebrate our freedom on The Fourth of July, and we honor the men and women who gave us our freedoms on Memorial Day. I agree with you that the "reasons" for these celebrations are being forgotten because the young people don't know very much about WWII, and beyond.